i am looking to buy some skirts for trolling, mainly for tuna but also some that i can use for snook, a stupid kingfish or anything else that eats skirts. i used some on a charter which were pink and they seemed to work and i also caught a tuna on a green squid skirt thing.just wondering what brands, sizes, colours etc other people have used or seen used. Ifish reckons use dark ones coz they are silloetted on the surface.if anyone has some diving lures that they have used for tuna and kingies that they would like to mention that would be good as well. i have seen the rapala Xrap 5 in pillie pattern work, any others u guys like? :fishing:

Started to get the Tuna bug myself after going on a charter off Marion Bay earlier this year.Moggy23 put me onto www.wellsystackle.com for all my skirts. I ordered online and my stuff was delivered to my door within 2 days.As for colour I went for the pinks, greens and the purples along with a few xrap 20's. But will stock up on some metal chromies before the start of next season.Im only new to tuna fishing but cant wait til next seasonforce

Done a tuna trip the other month, we caught all the fish on rapala xraps, both the 15ft and 20ft worked, used the pillie and mackeral types.Tried several different skirts over the weekend but they didnt want to play with the skirts.A few weeks later and they were hitting the skirts, just a bit of trial and error and depends how active the fish are.Im still new in the tuna fishing front only done a few trips and have succeeded both trips.

cheers lads, i myself have only targeted tuna the once on a charter but it is an exciting form of fishing that i would like to do again next season in my own boat possibly although im not sure im quite set up for it just yet.just wanted to get your opinions on what u have found to work and i spose i will just get lots of different skirts and divers and see what they eating on the day. i will check the website that you put up, order a few and just go from there!if anyone else has anything else to add to this thread then by all means do it, any advice i can get will be good! :fishing:

On our first tuna adventure we where told all sorts of things about this has to be better than that.This was the only skirt that worked etc etc etc You know the story Any way we bought the bees knees skirts and the bee knees divers.With the flash skirts and the divers out there the tuna hit a fly which was pretty much some pink material on a hook. Bugger all bubble trail nothing, just some pink cloth on a hook. It nailed our best fish. :clap: If you find the tuna most of the time I reckon they'll nail anything GL

Guest horses4courses

I have never fished for Tuna,except on a charter off Thailand a few years ago............a single "tatty looking" red rubber octopus about 6 inches long with a single rusty 8/0 through it on about 6 feet of 200 mono..........that matched to a Senator 6/0 which needed "a bit of work"................trolled for 4 hours for 10 tuna........not sure what type :blush: in the 15 to 20 lb range.........good fun though I thought :clap:

• 3 months later...

Just joined forum and came across this post.I have a holiday house in Portland Victoria and have been into the tuna for a few seasons now.First bit of advice is get a couple Xraps. I always use two, most commonly 30's. With 2-3 skirts out the back.Now read the above line again. The second important thing with Xraps is colour. What are the tuna feeding on??Don't get sucked in by marketing.You can replace trebles with single hooks. Helps release them if you need to.Best skirt this year was Tsutomu about 7-8 inch from memory.Last year had success with Wilson lures, killer vibe (blue body/red head) in shotgun.Lumo green jak has been good and jethead style in pillie produced the goods as well.When tuna actively feeding almost any old lure will work.When they are finicky you need to be trolling the right lure in the water.And the tuna were finicky out of Portland this season. Seen acres of tuna busting but few few fish were getting landed.One mate in a 7m boat got donuts three days in a row.If what you are doing ain't working try something else ie 4 inch lure or stick bait cast at busting fish.Remember to be safe!!Otherwise you should have a ball!!!