Are squid seasonal

Hi all,I generally fish northern metro launching from north haven. When the fish are quiet we can usually count on some squid by drifting somewhere between Semmy reef and North Haven. I tried this a couple of weeks ago on a very clear morning and not a sniff! So I'm wondering if squid are seasonal/migratory? I caught a couple the week before but even they were pretty small. Do squid prefer warmer water maybe?With ave tides on the weekend I was thinking of heading out for some squid but I'm not sure if I should bother!Cheers,Dan C

i have personally found squid to be more of a winter species. all the squid i have been catching over here in whyalla lately have been big and full of eggs or sperm. im not sure if they come into the shallower water to breed or what but like i said, i have found them more easily in winter. dont know if that helps :unsure:

Hi all i rekon they might be moving around during summer i have bagged out on metro round hallets marino and also the reason i say this is that i dont think the pros are here at the moment havent seen any for a while round hallets ,perhaps they move to the west coast to spawn and return to metro after that ,spawn during winter and return to metro waters during summer ,it is only a guess people to ask would be the marine biologists at flinders ,if i remember right one of these guys was taken by a great white of glenelg reef whilst doing research on said squidcrispy

squid have a very short life cycle' date=' i think you can count from birth to death in months, hence (i like that word) , there are probably 2 or 3 seasons within our year, thats why you can get them pretty much all year round in patches. they come and go with peaks and troughs thru the year.[/quote']Sepioteuthis Australis is the common type of Squid caught in our waters I think. I believe their life-cycle is about 18 months.I fished Lincoln town jetty for squid almost every day for years and I reckon that:a) They're a bit bigger and less timid in Winter. Usually upsize my jag to a 3.5 at this time of year. Seem to be more aggressive and easier to bag out.B) During summer you'll catch them with a smaller jag but cloudy days with a bit of disturbance on the water are usually best. The squid can appear much more timid, taking ages to strike. Sometimes might even have two or three around your jag, all just sitting there looking at it.That being said, as long as the water is reasonably clear you should get a few at any time of the year.

i reckon it's all to do with the moon phase's, tides, etc go out and have a crack after a falling barometer its like they are famished and will smash ny on anything article about them in sunday mail today, similar to this i just found SEX sessions lasting up to three hours leave squid so exhausted that they have a reduced ability to swim, Melbourne University research revealed.The findings - which may first appear salacious - actually reveal a lot about the species and the way its limited lifespan informs its behaviour.A paper published yesterday in the international journal Biology Letters is the first to outline the energetic costs of mating on the dumpling squid and the impact sex has on physical abilities after mating.Science masters student Amanda Franklin led the research, which found that both the male and female squid experienced a reduced ability to swim for up to 30 minutes after mating with each partner. This left them vulnerable to predators and with a reduced window for the nocturnal creatures to find other mates and to feed.'If mating is energetically costly, which it is, then there has to be benefits which outweigh that,'' she said. ''There has to be a reason why they do what they do.''Franklin said in the case of the dumpling squid, this was because of its limited lifespan of less than a year, with adults sexually mature for just four months.''There's a short sexually mature period, so there are costs associated with mating but that is offset because they produce more young and get to pass on their genes.''Franklin said the promiscuous squid have multiple partners, with the mating initiated by the males ''whenever the opportunity arises''. ''Pretty much whenever he sees a female he will go for it and if he can get her, then she has to mate with him as she can't escape,'' Franklin said.To reduce the risk of attack while recovering, the squid bury themselves in sand on the sea floor and can also produce a cloud of ink when challenged to help them escape from predators.Franklin, with zoology department colleagues Zoe Squires and Devi Stuart-Fox, studied dumpling squid found in shallow waters around Port Phillip Bay and Tasmania. The squid mate year-round and are nocturnal and grow to about 7 centimetres long as adultssexsuid.jpgcheers 4THA

I have found that Spring, Summer and early Autumn are best from Rapid Bay to Christies, as this is when they are breeding along our Metro/Fluerio coasts, so they are in shallow waters, where as I have heard that on the other peninsilers winter is best. Not to say you wont get them in 'off season' but the best size and quantity are at these times (this is for shallow grounds, as i dont squid deep grounds much)Yakman

"possibly a bit of a tangent but what is the maximum size they can grow too in those 18 months? i have caught them with the tubes about 300mm or 400mm or so but im sure they can get a fair bit bigger..." Depends how easy they access their food. If they're out in a good paddock they can get pretty big.The biggest one i've personally ever seen had a mantle around 600mm caught many years ago at Rapid Bay. The thing was huge.Are squid seasonal? Not really, i've caught them all year round, but i've found in the warmer months dawn and dusk to be the best times and the cooler months any time really.May to sept are good times and the squid are bigger.