freezing whole fish?

For your own wellbeing, at least gut and gill them prior to freezing!Ya don't have to scale them, and I know a few snapper fishos who prefer to leave the scales on......they say it improves the flavour, I dunno how true that is though, and it's certainly more difficult to scale after freezing.Clean squid prior to freezing.Crabs I wouldn't freeze at all!

got them last friday. stopped at the 1st petrol station I saw and got ice to put on them, then put them in a glad bag thing and straight into the freezer as soon as I was home. they were gutted last night, as was hoping to cook them for dinner tomorrow night (so they are in the fridge at the moment)

if i catch a fish and cant be bothered cleaning it that night i will leave it/them in the ice slurry in my esky and clean them the following night. if i was to freeze a whole fish i would gut it first. in my experience salmon trout dont freeze very well either, although others may disagree, i find they get a real fishy taste and go a bit soft...

If you want to eat the fish you catch ...Don't be LAZYIf you can't be buggered ...don't take em home Now because you were lazy ...don't just chuck em out Use them for bait or burly Sorry dude but I can't stand waste If you can't be stuffed spending half an hour treating your Catch for eating ....Practice C&R and eat the stuff at you local fish n chip shop.Keen to Learn .....Learn to respect your catch !

If you want to eat the fish you catch ...Don't be LAZYIf you can't be buggered ...don't take em home Now because you were lazy ...don't just chuck em out Use them for bait or burly Sorry dude but I can't stand waste If you can't be stuffed spending half an hour treating your Catch for eating ....Practice C&R and eat the stuff at you local fish n chip shop.Keen to Learn .....Learn to respect your catch !

spot on, especially whiting, they take no time to scale and fillet, definatly worth the effort

thanks for the lecture. I use all scraps for bait and burly already. BUT that was nothing to do with my original question!
well I gutted them last night and was going to cook them tomorrow night. they are whiting and salmon trout. so I should just throw them away? I got home late as was to tired and hungry to clean them all up' date=' so I just put them all in the freezer for a few days. get rid of them?[/quote']Sorry ...wasn't referring to original question ...you said...Throw them away.... Get rid of them I know a big days fishing takes it outa ya ..."so tired"Not lecturing m8 ...just my humble opinion.In reference to your original Q Yep I recon it could make you crook Use them ones as bait Cheers
  • 3 months later...
I wouldn't have any issues freezing fish then gutting them and cleaning them when I want to eat them.... You can buy whole squid that have been frozen' date=' or even whole squid that have been thawed.I wouldn't be throwing them out, I'd be eating them.[/quote']
Squid don't have have a large blood line resting against their flesh like fish do so they won't taint the meat anywhere near as quick, eating fish prepared like that would probably see the average person spray painting the porceline two ways, for a few days :pinch: :laugh:

I vac pack my whiting whole (uncleaned and not scaled).....enough fish in each pack for one meal as soon as I get home from fishing and freeze them straight away. I've never had a problem with soft fish or tainted from the intestines. I thaw out the vac pack and then fillet and skin the fillets. They're just as if you pulled them straight out of the Eski and prepared them for dinner :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey keen,I've found that the best way to treat my fish is to break the main artery and snap the neck as soon as i unhook them, then put them in a big bucket of seawater to bleed out.For me, when I'm about to leave I gut them all and check their stomach contents (you can record this if you wish) and put them in a fresh batch of clean seawater to bring em home.Personally i scale mine at home, but exposing them to tap water seems to affect the flavour, so next time I'm gonna just freeze em; the scales will probably give some protection against freezer burn since i don't have any vacuum seal bags.Do what you need to, but give it a try doing all your work before you leave and take note of any taste difference you notice; then you'll have your answer!