hello all,everyone has a squid jag that they swear by, one they will pull out first or persist with when the going gets tough. i was just wondering what that jag was for everyone?up until recently mine was a size 3.0 yo zuri red head/white body. right now though (and given its strike rate for the forseeable future given its strike rate) my ultimate jag is a shimano sephia egixile, size 3.5, colour 14T (that is basically transparent).i have in the past always been a fan of pink jags as well. i caught my first squid on an orange jag but none on that colour since :dry: . i have not had much success on dark jags either so i am interested to hear what everyone likes to use...

I'm a firm believer in cheap squid jags. Neptune Tackle Pearl Belly in Green, Pink, Blue and White w/ Red Head. They get thrashed pretty easily but I believe they work just as well as the expensive models and they're so cheap replacing them doesn't matter much. The biggest problem I have is finding the colours I want because they get bought out pretty quick! :pEdit: That being said I do have a couple of Yo-Zuri's in the box and I can vouch for the Green w/ orange belly. Killer jag.

They'll take different colours on different day mostly depending on conditions imo. 4thalove is right on the coin although you could replace the redhead (cuttlies love the redhead) with this one:http://www.rayannes.com.au/daiwa-shimano-reels-australia/squid-jigs/yo-zuri-premium-aurie-q-rs-colour-ysd-full-size-range-in-stock-now/Plenty of others obviously work too as well as cheapies but in all honesty I consistently outfish mates that use cheapies with my Yo-zuri, Gan Craft, Sumizoku, Yamashita, Shimano and Daiwa jags. If you come across a school then it won't matter what you're using, assuming they're hungry. If boating and targetting squid on dodge or slack water between tides, we've found that sacrificing a squid to use as berley works a treat.

that one looks like a good jag i reckon' date=' might have to get me one to try

If boating and targetting squid on dodge or slack water between tides, we've found that sacrificing a squid to use as berley works a treat.

what, just cut him up into small pieces and feed it out?another thing that i just thought of, how do you guys normally catch your squid? by that i mean do u set a jag under a float, use a handline or cast and retrieve with a rod and reel?I personally like to set up a drift over some weedy/broken bottom and flick with a rod and reel, much more entertaining than just watching a float.

out in the boat 90% on tha cast unless we are gettn fish(whiting) then the handline comes into play cos tha squid chase the fish up then see the jag just hangin, i never use floats unless off of rocks off the jetty always casting,ihave a 2 pole cast system every second pole/pylon 2 cast no squid move on . love goin to Moonta casting past all thee stagnant floats and usually get a few cheers 4THA

A little unconventional but; A paternoster rig, exactly like fishing for Whiting except you attach two squid jags. It works best if you can get weightless jags but that's not mandatory. If you make the rig slightly longer than normal to keep the jags out of the weed it's a great technique.You can either drop this straight off the back of the boat (if you're in one) and drift, or cast and retrieve slowly if you're landbased and sure there aren't too many snags about. You can even leave it set like a Whiting line, although I find a bit of movement is what actually triggers the take.This method also works really well with soft plastics and Salmon Trout, lol.

i ahve heard of this method, i have a yozuri jag, cost me $11, its about 3-4inches long, has only one row of barbs, skinny and blue/see through, looks like a baby garfish. you know the one im talking about? they had them in pink as well. i got it from a store in cavan on pt. wakefield road, you know the one. i havent tried it yet but that is how it is supposed to be fished. might give it a crack when i go mout on the boat next

Guest Brent61

A little unconventional but; A paternoster rig' date=' exactly like fishing for Whiting except you attach two squid jags. It works best if you can get weightless jags but that's not mandatory. If you make the rig slightly longer than normal to keep the jags out of the weed it's a great technique.You can either drop this straight off the back of the boat (if you're in one) and drift, or cast and retrieve slowly if you're landbased and sure there aren't too many snags about. You can even leave it set like a Whiting line, although I find a bit of movement is what actually triggers the take.This method also works [u']really[/u] well with soft plastics and Salmon Trout, lol.

reckon 2 jags on 1 line is no nobrent

If a squid jig is considered a "hook" by PIRSA then 3 on a line is the max. If it's considered a lure then i can't find any specific info on lures in the permitted devices section.My go to favourite at the moment is a cheapie red head white body cloth jig, i reckon it's a sure catch brand about 2-3 bucks at the Dorsal fin.I like the white shimano kiemuras too but the cloth is not durable, even minor bites will beat it up pretty quick.The yamashita lives are pretty good and more durable than the shimanos. I like the Harimitsus and Gan craft, heaps of good colour choices.Off the boat the good old baited jag works a treat, like the squid witch.

A little unconventional but; A paternoster rig' date=' exactly like fishing for Whiting except you attach two squid jags. It works best if you can get weightless jags but that's not mandatory. If you make the rig slightly longer than normal to keep the jags out of the weed it's a great technique.You can either drop this straight off the back of the boat (if you're in one) and drift, or cast and retrieve slowly if you're landbased and sure there aren't too many snags about. You can even leave it set like a Whiting line, although I find a bit of movement is what actually triggers the take.This method also works [u']really[/u] well with soft plastics and Salmon Trout, lol.

reckon 2 jags on 1 line is no nobrent
I know that it's a pretty common technique in NSW for Squidding and that in some parts of the world they use 8 - 12 jigs on a single line to catch them professionally. I've only learned about it and started using it in the last year, but haven't had problems so far. I find it a good way to figure out which colors are working best as you can present two different jigs to the same patch and see which one they take consistently.

looks like a baby garfish. you know the one im talking about?

Yep, I used to have the pink one. Never caught a thing on it unfortunately but then again I always fished it as a regular squid jig, so you might have better luck! :P
My go to favourite at the moment is a cheapie red head white body cloth jig' date=' i reckon it's a sure catch brand about 2-3 bucks at the Dorsal fin..[/quote']You must havew been quick to get in before they all sold JMI sorted through a well rummaged bin of about 500 lures recently after one particulaqr color/pattern.As it was I thought I was lucky to find one, and at the last minute a matching one :woohoo: It seems if there's only a couple left, they're more likeley to be the ones to get !
I like the white shimano kiemuras too but the cloth is not durable' date=' even minor bites will beat it up pretty quick..[/quote']Just wondering if anyone has tried improving the durability of the cloth ones :huh: I've often thought a thin smear of silicon over them would mean the cloth might hang together longer, but then again, it might affect the texture to the point where squid wouldnt take it as readily either :unsure: Any commets on that any1 ?
as i understand it the cloth is designed so that when a squid grabs it the tentacles cant grip it and slide down to the hooks. i read that in a fishing mag recently' date=' modern fishing maybe? anyway, it might improve the life of your jag but i reckon ur hookup rate might suffer[/quote']interesting w2bf.I always thought the cloth maybe made it feel more fishlike, giving the squid something to hold onto instead :unsure::lol:
Guest Brent61
as i understand it the cloth is designed so that when a squid grabs it the tentacles cant grip it and slide down to the hooks. i read that in a fishing mag recently' date=' modern fishing maybe? anyway, it might improve the life of your jag but i reckon ur hookup rate might suffer[/quote']simple solutionlight rub rub with 400 wet n dry to rough it p :fishing: brent
as i understand it the cloth is designed so that when a squid grabs it the tentacles cant grip it and slide down to the hooks. i read that in a fishing mag recently' date=' modern fishing maybe? anyway' date=' it might improve the life of your jag but i reckon ur hookup rate might suffer[/quote'']interesting w2bf.I always thought the cloth maybe made it feel more fishlike, giving the squid something to hold onto instead :unsure::lol:
that sounds plausible as well. dunno, it must be there for a good reason tho because all the good jags have cloth on them these days. i might ask at the tackle shop next time i go in, see what they reckon
My go to favourite at the moment is a cheapie red head white body cloth jig' date=' i reckon it's a sure catch brand about 2-3 bucks at the Dorsal fin..[/quote']You must havew been quick to get in before they all sold JMI sorted through a well rummaged bin of about 500 lures recently after one particulaqr color/pattern.As it was I thought I was lucky to find one' date=' and at the last minute a matching one :woohoo: It seems if there's only a couple left, they're more likeley to be the ones to get !Really AFF? I haven't popped in to the Dorsal Fin for a coupla months so things may have changed, but i've never known Robbie to have a bin full, he usually has 'em hanging on a wall towards the back of the store. You sure it was the Dorsal? The exact brand may not have been Sure catch, but it was along those lines.
I like the white shimano kiemuras too but the cloth is not durable' date=' even minor bites will beat it up pretty quick..[/quote']
Yeah, ive had two now and both got beat up pretty bad after a coupla trips, not impressed for a 20 buck jig re durability. I passed the last one onto D1 Taxi, he'll vouch for it lol. If you like the white kiemura then the Yamashita egi oh q in RWF live is just as good but so much more durable.

the reason Robbie has so many is because he's gone from the dorsal fin.Hoover from fishsa n safwaa is the new ownerbrent

Well it was on the cards. I didn't know someone had bought it though. Rob will be missed. He was always good for a yarn, one of the few old school tackle stores that was left.Now Robbie has gone i wont be going there no more.

yozuri are definatly the pedigree of the squid jags, with so many colours and designs out there the squid dont have a chance really. its funny coz as was bought up i think in either an earlier thread or the shoutbox, squid are colour blind :woohoo: so they must only see all the whiz bang colours and designs as shades anyway. makes you wonder why they seem to take different colours on different days. one of lifes great mysterys. i have noticed that the jags that most people who replied to this thread said the ones they use have been quite brightly coloured though, not too many having success on dark jags. anyone out there swear by a dark coloured jag?

I have a coupla dark brown ones mate. Yamashita naturals. They work a treat. Just like all white ones.What i've noticed is the cloths on the Yamashita lives and shimanos is they are "glittery" for want of a better description. You can see them sparkle under water, might just be enough to catch the squids eye.Having said that many factors come into play, the action of the jig, the size and the water conditions etc but when the squid are on they will take any jig, it's when they are timid that the quality jigs make a difference, although my mate used to out fish me on certain days with his cheap multi colour jig.I just found some old yo zuris of mine, not sure if you can even get that syle anymore cause they would be close to 20 years old but one is glittery pink on the top half and glittery white on the bottom and one is orange and green on top and glittery white on the bottom and they always caught squid.Best bet is to have a good range of colours and sizes to increase your chances.When i was young we would use a potato on a metal jag at Rapid Bay and bag out without fail.

yozuri are definatly the pedigree of the squid jags' date=' with so many colours and designs out there the squid dont have a chance really. its funny coz as was bought up i think in either an earlier thread or the shoutbox, squid are colour blind :woohoo: so they must only see all the whiz bang colours and designs as shades anyway. makes you wonder why they seem to take different colours on different days. one of lifes great mysterys. i have noticed that the jags that most people who replied to this thread said the ones they use have been quite brightly coloured though, not too many having success on dark jags. anyone out there swear by a dark coloured jag?[/quote']I've heard blacks work very well. We sell quite a lot of these: 129679.jpgand the Sephia's:Untitled_2012-07-29.png
that one looks like a good jag i reckon' date=' might have to get me one to try

If boating and targetting squid on dodge or slack water between tides, we've found that sacrificing a squid to use as berley works a treat.

what, just cut him up into small pieces and feed it out?another thing that i just thought of, how do you guys normally catch your squid? by that i mean do u set a jag under a float, use a handline or cast and retrieve with a rod and reel?I personally like to set up a drift over some weedy/broken bottom and flick with a rod and reel, much more entertaining than just watching a float.
The YSD colour Yo-zuri is in my opinion as deadly as any lure I've ever used and if I could only take one with me it would probably be this one.Drift over weedy patched and cast and retrieve until you hook one. Drop the pick because there's a very good chance you've just found a school. We've bagged our 15 each in under 10 minutes when a scholl is located. Most of the time you'll see anywhere from 1-12 squid follow their hooked mate to the boat and this also happens when catching them landbased. If it doesn't happen and your waiting around for the next hit, cut one of the squid up into small pieces and berley for them. We generally don't use the freshly caught ones for this but rather the ones we've caught on previous trips that are destined for bait.