Chilli Lime Crabs with Garlic on the BBQ

Grab 5 or 6 good sized blue swimmersTrun them over and cut the flap off. Gently lift off the top shell and remove they grey membrane stuff and any gut stuff you dont wanna eat.crack all of the claws lightly. It takes a while but it's worth it.Get a large container probably about 10ltMix2 tbs spoon choice olive oil1 tbs spoon minced garlic from a jar2 tbs spoon Chilli paste with lime from a jar100ml good chinese sweet chilli sauce25ml of lime or lemon juiceBlend all ingredients wellBush crabs with the marinadeand put all of the crabs into the big container with remaining marinade.You can add a bit of water to make the marinade runnier if you need.Put the lid on the container and tip upside down. Every 10 mins turn it over the other way so the marinade get all over the crabs.Do this for two hour and drink 3 to 4 beers.Fire up the BBQ and get it pretty hot.Throw the crabs on the bbq and brush any left over marinade over the little crabs as they cook. If you have a hood on the BBQ close it.About 10 mins would be spot on and the crabs will be red when they are ready.Get a big plate and cut crabs in half down the body and chuck them on as halves.The only sound you will hear for 10 minutes is crunch crunchFinish off with a couple more beers and possibly a swim in the pool to clean the crab juices off your face.then finish off with more beer and a few yarns

• 6 months later...

Fred, I enjoy cooking and my seafood, and I recon I'm gonna give this one a go!I don't wanna get the recipe wrong though, so I trust the beer we must consume during preperation is "Boags Premium" and not just any old crap off the shelf? Oh, and I don't got a pool, so will a dip in the spa suffice? {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gifI'll let ya know what I think of ya recipe when I get around to tryin it! Cheers! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif

I fired up the BBQ the other day and tried it again. Bloody good.James boag is a suitable substrate. I personally recommend coopers sparkling on a hot day.A spa will work equally as well as a pool as long as you can fully submerge to clean crab shells from your hair

Well, now that the finer details are sorted, I'd better check the weekend weather to gets me a few crabs!One further question though: Who was the first person to EVER pull a crab outta the water and think to himself "I dunno what this thing is, but I'm gonna eat it?"That was either one very brave, or very hungry person! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifNow that I've stolen YOUR recipe, I guess I'd better share one of mine!Coconut chilli crabServes 4Preparation 20 minutesCooking 25 minutes4 raw blue swimmer crabs2 tablespoons oil4 garlic cloves, crushed1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger3 red chillies, chopped (or 1 tablespoon chopped chilli)? cup lime juice? cup water2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce2 tablespoons soy sauce1 tablespoon fish sauce1 tablespoon tomato paste400ml can coconut cream? cup chopped coriander3 green onions, slicedsteamed rice, salad and shredded green onion to serve1. Lift hard top shell from crabs and use fingers to scrape insides. Wash, then split each crab in half.2. Heat oil in wok or large frying pan on high. Stir-fry crab pieces in batches until they turn pinky red. Remove from pan and set aside.3. Stir-fry garlic, ginger and chilli for 1 minute in same wok. Add juice, water, sauces and paste. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.4. Blend in coconut cream. Bring to boil and return crab to wok. Simmer, covered, for 4-5 minutes, adding a little water if sauce reduces too much.5. Stir in the coriander and onions. Serve immediately with rice and salad. Garnish with green onion.Sure mine's a little more involved, but DO the comparison between the recipes, and I'll trust your final judgement to be a fair one! Oh, and I forgot. Stay outta the pool, coz wiv MY recipe I want ya to drink so much beer that ya'll have to hold onto the ground for fear of falling off! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Sounds very nice the coconut crabs.We've experimented with lots of different flavours but haven't tried the old coconutus.I love chilli flavours and i reckon the old lime goes alright with it.I'll have to cook up both styles and do a comparison.Good work ranger {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

We've experimented with lots of different flavours ..................I love chilli flavours and i reckon the old lime goes alright with it.

Fred, chilli and lime are made (compliment) for each other. I think I may be much like yaself, and enjoy a bit of spice, flavour and/or bite to my food! I'm big on the asian style, coz they strike a balance on flavours (sour, sweet, salt, tart) and textures with their cooking.The thing with cooking is knowing what goes well together. Things like tomato and basil. Garlic and onion. Chili, lime, ginger, coriander, lemongrass.Once you've got that sorted, know what ya like, and what compliments the other ingredients, cooking becomes very simple, and it's time to throw away the recipe and experiment for yourself, to suit your own taste.If ya haven't tried it yet, also chuck in a bit of brown sugar, or even honey! You'll be surprised at what it does for seafood! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifAlso, if ya like ya chili and lime, I've got a good simple recipe for Chili & Lime crusted Prawns if you'd like to hear more! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifAnyway, a lil birdy told me that it's actually Mrs Fred who does all the cooking, and you just mung down after work! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif