What are you using for land based Snapper?

Hey guys, Need a combo for land based Snapper off the rocks. I was thinking a 9ft rod but when I picked one up in the store it felt a bit big. Maybe 8 foot would be better. I want to perhaps use it for throwing around lures if I feel like it. Just wondering what you guys use or would recommend. Not looking to spend too much, will probably pick something up when some sales are on. I am starting to learn using expensive gear can make fishing stressful. Cheers

That is correct you don’t need expensive gear to catch fish,sure if you are pulling in lots of hard fighting fish every trip it would be worth it.In most cases having a longer rod will allow a longer cast,but if the rod is a bit short and you can’t get it out to a particular spot then you’d wish you had a longer rod.As for reels your best bet would to have a look at the Penn slammer 560 or 760 possibly a spinfisher.

Myself, Bjorn and B214 all use a Nine foot Gary Howard Texalium Viper which you can pick up from R&A's for around $150.00. These are a sensational rod, that has immense stopping power! I have caught rays up to 5 foot on it. Its rated 8-15kg and you could cast a big Salmon lure's (say 50-90GM no problem), and also stop big Mullies to 50lb plus no problems at all :d/ .I find 9 foot to be the perfect length for the rocks especially when fishing off breakwalls with large boulders. You wouldnt want any shorter, in fact often you will want an extra foot if you could have it. :cheer: :cheer: The extra lenght helps you guide fish and keep them off the rocks until your ready to land them with gaff or your mate grabbing them (depending on conditions) or helps to outright just pull your fish up vertically in front of the rocks. If you have a short rod you will end up with the fish getting caught amoungst the stones.The key for rock rods is having a rod that you are not scared to jam between the rocks. These rods have good foam so its no probs. Others have made rock rod tubes etc, but that all adds to weight that you have to carry.I have a Daiwa 4500J Freams on mine with 30lb braid but run a long 10-15foot leader of 60-70lb for snapper and big salmon. With a long leader and braid I find you can feel a lot of bites and you dont get such a big belly in the line when the wind is blowing really hard from the side of you. ;)

That is correct you don’t need expensive gear to catch fish' date='sure if you are pulling in lots of hard fighting fish every trip it would be worth it.In most cases having a longer rod will allow a longer cast,but if the rod is a bit short and you can’t get it out to a particular spot then you’d wish you had a longer rod.As for reels your best bet would to have a look at the Penn slammer 560 or 760 possibly a spinfisher.[/quote']cheap gear will catch you just as many fish take a look at the marado range. ideal for bait fishing for snapper and mulloway off the rocks :whistle: i've matched mine up to an 8ft 2 piece rod. even with braid on it total cost was under 100bux can't go wrong with that.my other snapper combo is a shimano baitrunner 4000 on a 7ft 4-6kg rod. this one hasnt caught a snapper yet but is very smooth and also around the 100bux mark.

i wouldnt use anything less than a 12ft rod sorry... the key to snapper from the rocks, or big salmon from shore for me is rough dirty water.. when its rough, its hard to get a bait out into a blowing head on gale.. thats where the long rod comes in handy.. also when its rough, the longer rod will lift your line above the breakers... old school mt8144 snyderglas for me, with a 650c alvey... drop it, abuse it, never wash it, and never let you down.as for jamming the rod into the rocks, get a piece of plumbers pipe about 600mm long from hardware store.... cut it on an rough 45 degree angle at the bottom with a hacksaw, jamb that into the rocks. (the proper ones from fishing shop are a bit flimsy IMHO.. and overpriced for what they are imho ).not only does it protect the rod butt, its also a damn sight easier to get the rod out in a hurry if its bent double... many a fish has been lost when the rod spike has fell dropping the rod so make sure its solidly jammed in..good luck mate.. looking forward to reading about some rock fishing..

as for line, trial an error wil soon show you whats good and whats so-so from the rocks.... dont just think expensive quality line is the go, ive learnt the hard ( read expensive ) way... briad is brilliant in a boat, but incredibly uesless on the rocks.. i wouldnt even use it to tie a sinker to be honest.. it doesnt like rocks at all.. one decent rub on a sharp reef and it just falls apart.. leave the good stuff for the boat..line i use is k mart cheapy,few bucks for 300mtrs or so of 25-30lb... it will rub them rocks no matter how hard you try, and mines changes around every 6-8 weeks... ive tried the expensive line, its great for low stretch, but again, the rocks will kill anything, and the cheap stuff IS holding up better.. soon gets expensive when 50bucks of line goes onto the alvey,and will chaff just as much as the cheap line. its a good thing i dont really use the 651 alvey i have much.. that holds 1000mtrs

I already have a 12ft surf rod for a Slammer on it. Havent used it yet but I guess it could be used for Snapper as well. @Kelvin dont you just get paranoid about dropping or sinking expensive gear? You must have a fat wallet :D@Smokey I have seen the "Murado power" on youtube. They certainly work for you but no one else rates them? Still I wouldn't mind a 9ft combo anyway so I will get something and use it for Snapper and other species as well. I cant cast an alvey more than 20m :(, so thats not an option at this stage :D I think mono is definitely the go as rocknew has said. I think I will stick with Platypus line though, never failed me and I have no reason to change.