whiting whackers ??????

i normally put a hook above the sinker and a hook below. the one below i put on a reasonably short trace or i find it tends to tangle, especially if it is reasonably deep water. i make all my own rigs though, i dont buy them. the only rigs i have bought are those snapper flasher rigs. way cheaper to do it yourself and u can make them to suit you and the conditions plus you know what quality the hooks, line, swivels etc are.

In the eastern states these snatcher type rig are very popular.We stock Black Magic Whiting Snatchers and Whiting Whackers (Paternoster and the Running Sinker rigs) More people are starting to use them here thanks to the TV fishing programs.www.compleatanglermoonta.com.au/all-products/black-magic-whiting-whacker-running-rig.aspx?lv.crumb=70833www.compleatanglermoonta.com.au/all-products/black-magic-whiting-snatcher-paternoster-rig.aspxWe also have other brands cheaper in the Whiting rigs. Snapper, Salmon and other types of rigs are also available.

When the whiting are thick I find a simple paternoster rig with one dropper thmost efficient. Generally just use long shanks in size 6 or 4 depending on the size of the kg's.I have used circles with some success but I have not used them enough to be fully confident. I think there is a time and a place for both of these hooks. I alternate their usage depending on the tactics i'm using.Once I have used up all of my pre-tied ones I will exclusively tie my own. Nothing better than a hook you've tied yourself, full confidence fishing!

Not sure why you wouldnt' have two droppers SS ?At least you cover fish feeding right on the sand and those a bit higher up ?

Whenever I fish for them there are too many double headers. One flapping fish at a time is easier to measure and re-bait ;)
Totally agree with you and 4thalove. You can only catch so many so may as well have fun when they're on the bite. When they are hard to come by then i use tactics to increase my chances. Double twisted paternoster rig is my go to, 20lb trilene clear at the moment.

Been using single dropper paternosters since I got a size 4 longshank firmly embedded in the ball of my thumb courtesy of a vigorous 40+cm KGW. So it's a twisted dropper single paternoster for me with size 4 circles. I tie all mine and the fair ones rigs. Apart from sabiki style flasher rigs I don't think I've ever purhased a pre tied rig for anything.When I'm having a quiet late afternoon I'll sit and tie traces and rigs while imbibing a few cold amber fluids!

I bought one of the Black Magic Whiting Whackers more out of curiosity than anything. I've been fishing two rods the last few trips - one with a whiting whacker and the other with a standard paternoster rig with size 6 long shank hooks. I have caught quite a few on the whiting whacker but reckon I have lost more than I normally would have. I still prefer the long shank hook as opposed to circles for whiting.

• 1 month later...