Sad News on the Creek Mully Population......

Got a call today from my son who was fishing one of our favourite creeks, they couldn't find one Mully, BUT! there were 15 heads of Mulloway, no bodies just heads, on the bottom that they could see :c who knows how many more where in the deeper water :c i'd really like to know how any marine park or any new rule is going to help fish stocks when the government can't even police the rules they have in place :angry:Posted Imagetheres always some prick out there that will always kill as many as they can and take what ever they catch by what ever means they like :c NOT HAPPY JAN! Posted Image

If you could film and photo them would that get some results ?

spot on JJ :clap: a pic in action and a pic of his rego will cause some painbrent
nope was told have to be caught by fisheries....Sambo
How much more evidence do they need. Try to help out & because of red tape no good.Not enough Officers to Police all areas. need more resources to manage better. I'm all for licenses, more funds & at least if they are asked to produce on the water fine the Buggas, even if not caught in the act.Unfortunately there is always going to be some :c ARSE that stuffs it up for the people trying to do the right thing. if the same bloke has been caught before, jail time & never hold a license againHang , drawn & quarter I say :evil: :evil:

the law will only ever stop honest people :angry:

Unfortunately this is the case. I think the 'powers-that-be' get a bit too trigger happy with implementing new laws while forgetting that criminals, by definition, are not going to obey them. Then they wonder why their laws aren't having the desired effect and instead are just pissing off the honest people who do the right thing. Less laws, more law enforcement I say.
Ugly

Then they wonder why their laws aren't having the desired effect and instead are just pissing off the honest people who do the right thing. Less laws, more law enforcement I say.

This is the irony with the new Possession Limits thing - a politically driven process to put a cap on Whiting, Razors and Pipi for recs for ease of enforcement [with absolute clear-cut limits] for those three specific species to supposedly stop the so-called "illegal pros" and overly-greedy recs...but not enough manpower to enforce the pre-existing Commercial Quantity limits in the first instance, which would most likely have addressed the situation in a different way???Let me see - more new rules, no extra manpower to enforce same, let alone sufficient resources to enforce the rules we currently have - politics/box/tick... :vomit: Someone came up with one particular definition for insanity some time back - "Doing the same thing repeatedly, whilst expecting a different outcome".

highly doubt it would've been the work of a professional fisherman, makes no sense that they would cut the heads of and leave them and then what? rock up to the market with headless mullies.....don't reckon soWould've been a rec filleting their catch on the water thinking it would make it harder to prove what they took if caught with fillets.Just saying that's all, by no means condoning the behaviour

highly doubt it would've been the work of a professional fisherman' date=' makes no sense that they would cut the heads of and leave them and then what? rock up to the market with headless mullies.....don't reckon soWould've been a rec filleting their catch on the water thinking it would make it harder to prove what they took if caught with fillets.Just saying that's all, by no means condoning the behaviour[/quote']there were no bodies to be seen "Only Heads!" very strange indeedi wondered if it was rec or maybe a pro trying to make it look like it wasn't a pro?there was a huge amount of fish in this creek now there "seems?" to be none? and just a couple of months back my son did catch a pro boat in there and got photo's of the boat, fisheries said there was nothing they could do unless they had photos of them with the nets in and advised them if it happens again to maybe hang off and see what they are doing. Fisheries knew the boat and said they would talk to the guy but there is no rule about being in a creek, so nothing could be donewhoever did it shame shame shame! wouldn't you love to just catch whoever and see the law do it's job for a change B) cheers chuck

You know the sad thing is that as most of you would know by our pics and stories Chuck and I have fished this creek for over 8 maybe 10 years and we have had some fantastic sessions. During this whole period I could count on ONE hand the amount of fish I have taken, the rest have been lovingly returned as we truly appreciated what we had and enjoyed the fact that if we fished the way we did, we would have many similar days......and we did.This year however it has been different and we struggled to get fish consistently, the school was smaller and we feared that someone was working hard catching our friends the mulloway. This is honestly how we looked at this spot, it was an honour to be respected to fish this place and now some prick has taken away something we both cherished.To some this may be over the top and my emotions excessive but this place was dear to me and was my slice of paradise that I had enjoyed and looked forward to visiting.This prick who I do suspect in this case is a rec fisho but it is also being targeted by pro's has selfishly destroyed a school of fish to sit in a freezer and slowly rot.Whoever you are I hope you are truly satisfied with your efforts as once again a few greedy souls have ruined it for others to enjoy.There goes another spot, scratch out another of our dwindling assets, Im having similar problems with my snapper spot at Pirie. It really does make you wonder what some people have between their ears.I can guarantee that this spot will never return to its former glory....RIP :(

the sad thing is that as most of you would know by our pics and stories Chuck and I have fished this creek for over 8 maybe 10 years and we have had some fantastic sessions. During this whole period I could count on ONE hand the amount of fish I have taken' date=' the rest have been lovingly returned as we truly appreciated what we had and enjoyed the fact that if we fished the way we did, we would have many similar days......and we did.[/quote']I can appreciate your words and thoughts there Guys.After all the "work" you guys did looking after the local poulation, only to have it wrecked by some :c knobhead.On a positive note, we can only hope that this example inspires more people to be more careful, tho I doubt it :S

Just wondering if you've noticed an increase in boat traffic lately and your having a go at slowing it down? :lol: (i've been up a few times this year) Fair bit of talk/articles/posts in recent times so i wouldn't blame you. :lol: Lets hope its not someone on this forum or someone with info from it. Mully's should be part of the new laws regarding possession limits IMO. The FWC? Isolated, expensive and it might take a few trips before you score. How many people would take more than they should because of fishless trips or the "well we've been here 5 days already" attitude.Laws DO deter SOME people from doing the wrong thing but sadly not everyone. :evil:

Fair bit of talk/articles/posts in recent times so i wouldn't blame you. :lol: Lets hope its not someone on this forum or someone with info from it.Laws DO deter SOME people from doing the wrong thing but sadly not everyone. :evil:

I would hate to think someone from this site would act in such a way.If caught , they should have there boat/fishing gear repossessed and destroyed

Rec fishing is one thing, and rod and line fishing can still be damaging if people are going to go nuts, but the netters are the big problem! I would suggest that even if a rec fisho is responsible for the at least 15 fish, the overall drop in numbers you are seeing must come from some extensive netting. From what I understand, the Mulloway fishery in this State is very very healthy as a whole. Also mulloway by nature are not easy to take in numbers while feeding, ie rod and line. Maybe a very experienced rec angler could take 50fish in a session. Most punters would see the creeks as devoid of life due to inexperience.A netters however doesn't need to worry about feeding habits... All they need to know is where they are coming in and out!! Hundreds of fish can get trapped that way.... Lets say a full school runs into a net, I wouldn't think it would take the annihilation of too many schools for the local effect to be pretty dramatic. Hopefully fisheries will make some more arrests shortly... As they seem to be very keen on busting these characters... Mist be two or three prosecutions in the last couple of years... Hopefully more to come.I reckon it is tragic. I used to have a really good Bream spot in the port. And it wasn't long before people were out there taking bucket loads of 35-40cm bream. Even 8 legals is WAY too much in my opinion. This was probably 6-10years ago and me and dad released every one we caught. You could drift a little rock crab out at high tide and just catch em one afteranother. I've never ever been able to recreate them days anywhere since then. There is still a healthy Bream population in the Port for sure... But this place is off, and has been for a long while and I doubt will ever fire again. I just like to think.for every honey hole discovered and plundered, that there are 100s more that no one knows about at all!

Chuck and Sambo, if it's the creek I'm thinking of that we have been known to fish that's not the first time it's happened there.I remember not too far back when the locals took it into their own hands to sort out the offender. Hopefully they find him and do it again. That really suxs arse, greedy bastards.Cheers Dazz

• 1 month later...