Crayfish tips or even spots???

just wondering if anyone would like to spill some tips and tricks for getting crayfish??? if you could inbox me some good spots, so every person on here doesnt head out this arvo, I would be more than happy to steal your catch :) but just some general rules so I could find them and catch them would be great :boat:

Your being a bit to vauge in what you want, give us a little bit more info such as which part of the state you want to target? how ??? eg pot's, hoop nets, scuba etc. You can only fish for them between 1st october until 31st may, so you have a couple of months to wait yet.cheers

Cray will generally feed on anything you throw at them, but fresh bait is best in my opinion, i tend to use salmon mostly as it is readily available most times. Any fish will do though. You still haven't given an area you want to fish?? but any where in the south east, KI, bottom of yorkes, bottom of eyre peninsular right up to the WA border holds cray. You'll need to narrow it down a little if you want some one to help you out on a spot. Down here in the South east any bit of reefs holds cray, there's no secret spots cause there's plenty of cray! In other areas of the state the cray are a little more sparse so require more searching to find them but any good reef bottom should hold cray. If using pots they need to be registered and this will set you back about $174 for two pots. Check PIRSA's website for a registration form and any regulations. Also I would get familiar on how to measure a cray as they are measured differently to anything else and again the PIRSA website will show you.If your in the south east and you want to dive all you have to do is jump in the water next to a reef and you will find them, there's no secret just look!! limestone ledges and holes/cracks will all hold cray.cheers

Catch Limits and Legal LengthsMinimum legal length: Southern zone (from longitude 139o0’4.80” east to the Victorian border): 9.85 cm Northern zone (from longitude 139o0’4.80” west to the West Australian border, including Kangaroo Island): 10.5 cm (Information about how to measure rock lobsters) Personal daily bag limit: A maximum of 4 rock lobster per person per day, regardless of how they are legally taken Daily boat limit: If taken by only one person (whether by diving, drop or hoop net, or registered rock lobster pot) a maximum of 4 rock lobster per day.If taken by more than one person, a maximum of 8 rock lobster perday. Closed seasons: Southern zone (from longitude 139o0’4.80” east to the Victorian border): The taking of lobsters from the southern zone is prohibited between 6.00 pm 31 May and 6.00 pm 1 November every year. Northern zone (from longitude 139o0’4.80” west to the West Australian border, including Kangaroo Island): The taking of lobsters from the northern zone is prohibited between 6.00 pm 31 May and 12 noon 1 November every year. Closed areas: Rock lobsters are totally protected and cannot be taken at any time from the following areas:■Cape Jaffa■Margaret Brock Reed (within .55 n miles of the light)■Rivoli Bay including Penguin Is. (from Glen Point to Cape Martin)■Gleeson Landing■All aquatic reserves Permitted devices: There are certain restrictions on gear and requirements that need to be met when fishing for rock lobsters. Rock lobster pots must be registered. Handling your catch: All rock lobster taken by recreational fishers must have the middle tail fan clipped in half to a recognisable straight line before landing. Restrictions: Female rock lobsters carrying eggs are totally protected and must be returned to the water immediately. There is no limit to the number of times pots, drop nets or hoop nets can be checked from the one boat in any one day, provided the owner of the devices, or in the case of rock lobster pots the registered owner, is on board the vessel. But daily bag and boat limits still apply.How to measure rock lobstersRock lobster must be measured:■along the middle and on the top of the carapace (the main body shell)■from the front edge of the groove between the antennae (frontal tubercule) to the rear edge of the carapace (but not including any hairs attached to the carapace)The measuring device used must be able to fit firmly into the groove between the antennae.If you apply to register a rock lobster pot you will be sent a measuring device along with your registration.Closed seasonsSouthern zone: The taking of lobsters from the southern zone is prohibited between 6.00 pm 30 April and 6.00 pm 1 November every year. Northern zone: The taking of lobsters from the northern zone is prohibited between 6.00 pm 31 May and 12 noon 1 November every year. In addition, female lobsters carrying eggs are totally protected and must be returned to the water immediately. Closed areasRock lobsters are totally protected and cannot be taken at any time from the following areas:■Cape Jaffa■Margaret Brock Reed (within .55 n miles of the light)■Rivoli Bay including Penguin Island (from Glen Point to Cape Martin)■Gleeson Landing■All aquatic reservesThe above areas are rock lobster sanctuaries. You can also contact your local Fisheries office and ask for a copy of these maps.Restricted areaFishers are not permitted to use drop nets, crab nets, hoop nets or rock lobster pots from the Port MacDonnell breakwater, or from anywhere within the restricted area.Handling your catch All rock lobster taken by recreational fishers must have the middle tail fan clipped in half to a recognisable straight line before landing. This should be done by using a pair of scissors.In the past, concerns have been raised about the impact of tail fan clipping on the lobster. A report on The examination of the welfare implications of the management procedure of tail fan clipping concluded that there was insufficient evidence to warrant an abandonment of this procedure, and that there is a benefit to the lobster population as a whole from marking of recreational catches.Failure to clip the middle tail fan may result in prosecution with a maximum penalty of $2000.

Just a little info from the PIRSA website in that last post. You may find that people may be reluctant to give out spot's for the Fleurieu and yorke peninsular as they don't have the quantity of cray around these areas, but if you look hard enough i'm sure you will find them, I'm not familiar with these areas so can't help you. You'll more than likley need a good sized boat to access these areas and a quality sounder will assist in finding reef.

Thanks for the info lofty thats a great deal of info ,i have thought at times about trying for these critters down the bottom of yorkes no areas that i see semi pros work wel at least they did a few years back anyway ,i rekon just about anyware along the bottom of yorkes would work as it is all rocky reefy bottom some more prominant reefs than others ,used to watch a guy who lived in &^&^&^% when i used to camp down there he would go out every 2 days and pull his pots always got some goodns ,one night i nealy called the cops he went out in a stiff wind and it got bad while he was out couldnt see his boat for the swell or hear his engine ,finnally i just saw him before i rang i think even he was a bit concerned going out in his tinni when she blew up like that but all was good in the end crispy :)

down south Port macdonell around frogies rock or robe if ya keen..my bro caught 1 from yorkes around stenhouse jetty many moons ago ..as others have said look around & under rock ledges they're vertially at your feet if you get in and lookuse a stocking fill it with fishflesh put stones inside to weigh it down and wait to you see a cray, without spooking it dangle stocking in front and let him drag it back to his hole where his spikey bits will get caught up in the stocking which will make it easy to pull from his hole, don't worry about the stretch in the stocking just keep pulling slowly until he pops out then grab him around the head being careful not to get your fingers caught between the tail & body..might pick up the odd greenlip abb too if ya lucky ;)