Squid on Poppers Article

once i was casting nice size harbodys at woolbay coz there were a school of salmon getting around. as i brang it to the jetty this squid was bookin for it' date=' grabbed it but didnt hookup. got the lure out the water and as soon as my father put his squid jag in it smashed it[/quote']we were catching big squid last year on the port lincoln main jetty while chasing snook on hardbody lures...

Nothing unusual about that report. I've caught squid on various different types of lures intended for fish and not squid, had them attack paternoster rigs with cockle as bait while whiting fishing and even had them attacking floats. When they're hungry, and particularly when there is a few of them in the water, they will attack anything that moves, even if it is floating on the surface.

understand all the above "freak" occurances, but lets admit it, most of the time we have to use the proven techniques, and there is even times when even a $40 top of the range jig wont get them to hit.squid = quick and easy feed / bait catching excercise, IMHO, it gets over thought way to often!!again, Ive seen pros clean up using $5 jigs and handlines, dont fathom how people spend $30 on a jig then get purpose built EGI outfits for them, its crazy!! They are just sacks of seaweed with th eod lunge when bringing them in!!

understand all the above "freak" occurances, but lets admit it, most of the time we have to use the proven techniques, and there is even times when even a $40 top of the range jig wont get them to hit.

I understand what you're saying Ale, but my point was it's not unusual to catch squid on another lure intended for something else. The way I read that story in the link, to me wasn't suggesting the author was planning on targeting squid using poppers from now on, he was merely saying he's caught a few using poppers - which to me isn't overly surprising considering where he's fishing (shallow weed beds).