New guy needs help

Hi..I been observing and reading this site for awhile now and I think its GREAT :clap: ...your a great bunch who love what you do...I enjoy fishing :fishing: immensely. I am a novice to ocean fishing, bought Brooker 4.5, 30 HP Mariner to push it along and the fun I have had and the fish I have caught...WOW..should have started years ago.I need help with the following and hope someone will be able to answer my ?I want to target Sharks :sh come warmer weather..but don't know correct way to kill and prepare fish so as ammonium won't spread thru' the fish and spoil for eating. Any help would be great.Any tips on how to prepare fillets for eating?I hope my lines are tight this Summer and yours too. :clap:

Guest horses4courses

As far as I'm aware,kill them with a spike through their brain first..........then lop their head,fins and tail and gut them.....body drains of blood.........If I have ice available there and then,I will skin them too,and put the trunk on ice......if not,will leave the skin on,and leave the trunk in a cool place (wet hessian bag out of the sun / light ) and skin at first possible convenience........Have also heard that freezing shark fillets for a couple of weeks before consumption will decrease ammonia taste / smell too.....but I like 'em fresh :) Hope that helps

You tube is good for learning how to fillet them, like Damian said.Freezing them (the fillets) is recommended. The reason is when you catch them they put up a fight and what happens is when they struggle or a stressed they release a chemical in there muscle tissue, blood ect, which gives them that ammonia taste, vac seal em if you can, freeze em at least 2 weeks i find more is better. Gummy so far is yummiest :) Haven't tried hammerhead but hear it up there with the best off em,

Thinly slice some onions, layer them between the fillets, cover with a good plastic wrap and pop them in the refrigerator for (at least) a couple of hours. Remove the onion slices and cook using your preferred method (deep frying in a good batter always works for me). Will eliminate any residual "ammonia" taste and add flavour at the same time... ;)