Sign in to follow this  
Staffo

Fishing Port Vincent

Hi guys,I'm heading across to Port Vincent in a couple of weeks for a boys weekend with the boat. Just wondering if anyone has much experience in the waters around there and possibly have any GPS marks? Not after the 'secret gold' but if there are any common well known grounds you can part with to get us started (and out of the pub...) that would be great! I usually target KG, snapper, squid and crabs but am interested in anything else that's there of note.Thanks & cheers B)

GO SOUTH AROUND THE SPIT TO WHERE THE LAST HOUSE ON STH SIDE OF PORT VINCENT IS AND GO ABOUT 100 MTRS FROM SHORE AND DRIFT OUT TO ABOUT 300 MTRS. WORK YOUR WAY STH AND YOU WILL CATCH ALL THE SQUID YOU WILL WANT. I USUALLY START MY DRIFT ABOUT 200 MTRS STH OF THE LAST HOUSE AND WORK THE DRIFT EITHER SIDE OF THAT. ANY QUESTIONS GIVE ME A HOY MOPPA

And go a bit further out in the same area and you should find some whiting on the broken bottom 1/2 a k out should see you right but move around till you find em.Also be warned the spit is shallow and caution is needed when you cross to head towards Back Beach, High tide is fine but you may need to travel well out to find deep enough water if its the bottom half of the tide.I lived there 20 odd years ago but I think things would be much the same. I also would head off Pt Julia way,Sheok Flat area too for whiting back then, The odd snapper off the reefy areas in front of the Golf Coarse but as I said that was a while ago.If your boat is large enough my favourite spot was out on the Orontes Bank for snapper, whiting and snook.cheerssnapps

Nice one Moppa, Snapps & Damien -we'll give it a crack for sure! There's a bit there to keep us busy... And thanks for the heads up on the shallow spit, it's always good to get a little knowledge from a local.Cheers

most places nth from vincent as well fire pretty well. We nearly bagged on KGW on Monday afternoon Nth of Vincent. Head past the golf club (deeper water) to the town Sheaoak Flat. line up with the Main Road entering the town (sheoak flat rd) and head out to see. in 5-6 foot off water (low tide) there will be a broken cork weed bottom. that is were we fished monday. Also caught snapper (babys to 45cm) and squid there on the same day. Its a prety common but small ground. Enjoy - we look forward to a report.

yep go nth or sth,i've found straight out in front of the town a bit of a dud with mostly ribbon weed surrounding the spit,1km further out however and slight south though are some good grounds that produce on occasion. cheers brenton

Saturday morning was a little lumpy with some showers & squalls coming through. Got a few squid and then retired to the pub to watch the (disappointing) footy... Sunday was absolutely perfect! Landed a dozen KG's off Sheoak and bagged out on squid around the spit just south of the town. Great feed and some for the freezer! Highly recommend the cabins at the Pt Vincent Foreshore Caravan Park too - No. 4, which we stayed in, has enough room to leave the boat attached to the vehicle and is RIGHT on the beach. Awesome part of the world.Cheers for the advice guys.

Saturday morning was a little lumpy with some showers & squalls coming through. Got a few squid and then retired to the pub to watch the (disappointing) footy... Sunday was absolutely perfect! Landed a dozen KG's off Sheoak and bagged out on squid around the spit just south of the town. Great feed and some for the freezer! Highly recommend the cabins at the Pt Vincent Foreshore Caravan Park too - No. 4' date=' which we stayed in, has enough room to leave the boat attached to the vehicle and is RIGHT on the beach. Awesome part of the world.Cheers for the advice guys.[/quote']well done Staffo :clap: and correct it is a great park