Fishing Port Vincent

Hi guys,I'm heading across to Port Vincent in a couple of weeks for a boys weekend with the boat. Just wondering if anyone has much experience in the waters around there and possibly have any GPS marks? Not after the 'secret gold' but if there are any common well known grounds you can part with to get us started (and out of the pub...) that would be great! I usually target KG, snapper, squid and crabs but am interested in anything else that's there of note.Thanks & cheers B)

GO SOUTH AROUND THE SPIT TO WHERE THE LAST HOUSE ON STH SIDE OF PORT VINCENT IS AND GO ABOUT 100 MTRS FROM SHORE AND DRIFT OUT TO ABOUT 300 MTRS. WORK YOUR WAY STH AND YOU WILL CATCH ALL THE SQUID YOU WILL WANT. I USUALLY START MY DRIFT ABOUT 200 MTRS STH OF THE LAST HOUSE AND WORK THE DRIFT EITHER SIDE OF THAT. ANY QUESTIONS GIVE ME A HOY MOPPA

And go a bit further out in the same area and you should find some whiting on the broken bottom 1/2 a k out should see you right but move around till you find em.Also be warned the spit is shallow and caution is needed when you cross to head towards Back Beach, High tide is fine but you may need to travel well out to find deep enough water if its the bottom half of the tide.I lived there 20 odd years ago but I think things would be much the same. I also would head off Pt Julia way,Sheok Flat area too for whiting back then, The odd snapper off the reefy areas in front of the Golf Coarse but as I said that was a while ago.If your boat is large enough my favourite spot was out on the Orontes Bank for snapper, whiting and snook.cheerssnapps

most places nth from vincent as well fire pretty well. We nearly bagged on KGW on Monday afternoon Nth of Vincent. Head past the golf club (deeper water) to the town Sheaoak Flat. line up with the Main Road entering the town (sheoak flat rd) and head out to see. in 5-6 foot off water (low tide) there will be a broken cork weed bottom. that is were we fished monday. Also caught snapper (babys to 45cm) and squid there on the same day. Its a prety common but small ground. Enjoy - we look forward to a report.

Saturday morning was a little lumpy with some showers & squalls coming through. Got a few squid and then retired to the pub to watch the (disappointing) footy... Sunday was absolutely perfect! Landed a dozen KG's off Sheoak and bagged out on squid around the spit just south of the town. Great feed and some for the freezer! Highly recommend the cabins at the Pt Vincent Foreshore Caravan Park too - No. 4, which we stayed in, has enough room to leave the boat attached to the vehicle and is RIGHT on the beach. Awesome part of the world.Cheers for the advice guys.

Saturday morning was a little lumpy with some showers & squalls coming through. Got a few squid and then retired to the pub to watch the (disappointing) footy... Sunday was absolutely perfect! Landed a dozen KG's off Sheoak and bagged out on squid around the spit just south of the town. Great feed and some for the freezer! Highly recommend the cabins at the Pt Vincent Foreshore Caravan Park too - No. 4' date=' which we stayed in, has enough room to leave the boat attached to the vehicle and is RIGHT on the beach. Awesome part of the world.Cheers for the advice guys.[/quote']well done Staffo :clap: and correct it is a great park
  • 7 years later...

Welcome Larry :)

Off the jetty there have been some Blue Crabs and also along the beach - mainly Southern beach atm. 

Jetty should have Gar the usual Tommies and some Squid.

There has been squid off the breakwater too - probably get some Gar there also.

I reckon some YFW along the beaches would be worth trying for too.

Sounds Great, I have been to Port Broughton which is also on the Yorke Peninsula, It has great crabbing off the jetty when the tide is coming in, I have also caught sand whiting, flathead, saltwater catfish, stripped grunter and the occasional tommy ruff and YF whiting, it would be a good experience at port vincent to catch a squid as i have never before and i would like to catch one inshore as i do not have a boat. Thanks Everyone

24 minutes ago, Larry said:

By the way how long is the jetty

G'day Larry & welcome.

Vincent has a very, very short jetty, maybe 10 metres at low tide, popular with kids.

The wharf runs parallel to the water & is a popular spot for the kids, oldies & jumpers, a few crabs & lots of trumpeters.

Decent amount of squid at times on a late high tide.

There are squid, snook, small salmon, flatties etc from the breakwater in & out of the marina.

The local gar guys walk out on the spit at low tide & seem to do well, make sure you wear something on your feet as the Razor fish will cut them to pieces, old runners are fine.

The back beach usually has good sized YFW & the odd flattie, clickers are the best local bait but worms would be good also.

The bay in front of the caravan park steps produces all of the above plus mullet.

Raking for crabs on the back beach or in the bay Sth of the marina, again wear some footwear.

That should get you started.

• 10 months later...
On 10/02/2020 at 10:28 AM, Larry said:

Sounds Great, I have been to Port Broughton which is also on the Yorke Peninsula, It has great crabbing off the jetty when the tide is coming in, I have also caught sand whiting, flathead, saltwater catfish, stripped grunter and the occasional tommy ruff and YF whiting, it would be a good experience at port vincent to catch a squid as i have never before and i would like to catch one inshore as i do not have a boat. Thanks Everyone

Hi, reading comment. Thought I ask about Port Broughton, heading over in a cpl off weeks and never fished there. Any tips on where to find YFW? Beach around caravan park?