lures for snook/salmon

Hi guys, im currently looking at adding some hard body lures to my collection for my pt lincoln trip in a few months, in particular for snook and salmon. what would you reccomend? Anyone used these? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yo-Zuri-Live-Bait-Minnow-HALO-SARDINE-110mm-nip-/370590512165?pt=AU_Sport_Fishing_Tackle&hash=item5648ea7425http://www.rayannes.com.au/daiwa-shimano-reels-australia/lures/medium-hard-body-lures-mulloway-barramundi-salmon-etc/yo-zuri-crystal-minnow-deep-diver/#Also how do you guys store them without getting scratched up and tangled?I've never really tried much lure fishing so any help would be awesome, thanks! B)

The Yozuri live is too big imo for snook but would be ok for Big salmon they cast a mile and have a good action,they are flexible and bend also.I don't use many DD lures but your second choice is more the size you need especially in the pilchard colour.I'd recommend the yozuri mag minnows for both application though in the 90mm and 70mm or the diawa Double clutch if you have plenty of money to waste.Both cast wellAS for not getting them scratched up well thats going to happen anyway but keeping them in their boxes and rinsing after use helps.Don't forget the good old metals can also do the job on both species especially if you have to cast a distance,the halco twisty for salmon or the sluk or gillies are my favorites for snook. cheers brenton

Snook/salmon love plastics especially power minnows in the 3" watermelon and blue pearl,the 70mm squidgy flickbaits in pichard and evil minnow and i've had some great sessions on the watermelon gulp minnow and grubs,which to me seemed a bit weird because its not exactly and natural colour in gulp.Power minnows cast the best though. cheers brentonp.s the yo zuri xraps and duel adagio's are worth a look for salmon HB's as well

thanks mate, its usually fairly windy in lincoln that time of year but I'll grab a variety of weights to cover all bases, they're dirt cheap anyways. ;)ok now im broke til next week lol, just bought:3x YO-ZURI MAG MINNOW Fishing Lure 5/8OZ - 4" LONG in HGBM3x YO-ZURI MAG MINNOW Fishing Lure 5/8OZ - 4" LONG in HGM3x Duel Aile MG Diet 70 3x Halco Twisty Lure - 15GM - Chrome3x Halco Twisty Lure - 15GM - Green3x Halco Twisty Lure - 20GM - Chrome3x Halco Twisty Lure - 20GM - Green3x Halco Twisty Lure - 25GM - Chrome3x Halco Twisty Lure - 25GM - Greencouldnt find gold :(3x 3" watermelon power minnows3x 3" blue pearl power minnowsIf I dont catch anythink I'll be pissed lol.. oh well got to be in it to win it! thanks heaps guys! :clap:

Bases covered YA' date='Rays outdoors make a copies of the halcos and might have one in gold.p.s i normally wouldn't recommend this but the halco's etc work better with lure clips or small swivels because the split rings on them have sharp edges and the line can get cut or slip into the ring.enjoy your trip. cheers brenton[/quote']thanks mate just found the gold ones at BCF. How do you mean copies? they still appear to have halco on the package? :huh: I normally have clip swivels pre tied on all my rods, is this not recommended for lures? Thanks again for your help brenton B)

I've been using Adagio 105 Heavy lures for salmon, need to replace the treble with a Decoy single hook in size 2. About 30g, holographic sides flash really well, they cast well and salmon love them. For snook, find it hard to go past minnow style lures. I keep tying on the 90mm Bomber long A's in gold color. The rattle helps, not that snook need too much extra incentive to have a swipe. Sticking with trebles for snook though, drop too many on singles.

Snook/salmon love plastics especially power minnows in the 3" watermelon and blue pearl' date='the 70mm squidgy flickbaits in pichard and evil minnow and i've had some great sessions on the watermelon gulp minnow and grubs,which to me seemed a bit weird because its not exactly and natural colour in gulp.Power minnows cast the best though. cheers brentonp.s the yo zuri xraps and duel adagio's are worth a look for salmon HB's as well[/quote']Hi Brenton, just realised I dont have any jig heads :pinch:what would you reccomend for the minnows/squidgies? cheers

I just use spanyid metals. Cheap and effective

+1. The raiders are kick-ass.This year I also scored a larger Stiffy Minnow Twitch Bait. Fully glow in the dark which I think is going to be murder on the Snook late evenings. Can't find any pics of the one that I have. It looks similar to this but in that yellow/green glow colour: Capture_2012-09-26.PNG

Hi Brenton, just realised I dont have any jig heads :pinch:what would you reccomend for the minnows/squidgies? cheers1/12 to 1/16th in a size 4-6 for the flickbaits you can get away with 1/20th occasionally if its flat calm but i wouldn't bother on the salmon and size 1-1/0 in the 1/12 for the bigger placcies 3-4 inch.Plenty of people would probably use lighter jigheads but casting distance can make all the difference some times, you've got your metals for when it blows its guts out. cheers brenton

when i was a kid the best lure we ever used over lincoln and streaky bay was the one you get when you buy the trolling kit with a hand line paravane and 1 little white plastic lure with a red tag on it. it would blow any other lure out of the water first to hook up every time. not sure if you can still buy them or what there called. good luck

• 1 month later...
Hi Brenton' date=' just realised I dont have any jig heads :pinch:what would you reccomend for the minnows/squidgies? cheers1/12 to 1/16th in a size 4-6 for the flickbaits you can get away with 1/20th occasionally if its flat calm but i wouldn't bother on the salmon and size 1-1/0 in the 1/12 for the bigger placcies 3-4 inch.Plenty of people would probably use lighter jigheads but casting distance can make all the difference some times, you've got your metals for when it blows its guts out. cheers brenton[/quote']Hi Brenton, sorry to bug you again, im having a real hard time finding anything in 1/12, 1/16 in a 4-6 size, all I can find are in a 1 or 2 size. What do you normally get, Nitro's, Gamagatsu etc? Any help would be much appreciated, im going grey here! lol

Hi guys, I would just like to add a question of my own to this thread if I may.What is the ideal depth you want a snook lure to swim? So far I am under the impression that its around the 1-1.5m mark? Additionally, if trolling in a kayak how fast do you need to travel in order to keep paravanes and binned minnows moving at an appealing speed?Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have only ever caught a few snook whilst trolling on a YP charter and they are a species I would like to target more often.Cheers