i know a few blokes that have sensor surfs and havent had any troubles with them.. and they throw big baits leads etc no probs.....

disagree strongly here with you southie.sensors snap, had 2 snap on me... they don't like the wear and tear of LB use and you have to be so careful you don't knock them, but you always do when you are scaling a cliff or clambering to a spot.they are a glam, lovely weather fisherman's rod.an 8144 will take the world on, take the wind and storms on, cast 8oz lead with half a kilo of salmon, put fear of god into weed monsters and never say "i give up"only negative is they are heavier, otherwise they beat the sensor in every category.
i know a few blokes that have sensor surfs and havent had any troubles with them.. and they throw big baits leads etc no probs.....
disagree strongly here with you southie.sensors snap' date=' had 2 snap on me... they don't like the wear and tear of LB use and you have to be so careful you don't knock them' date=' but you always do when you are scaling a cliff or clambering to a spot.they are a glam, lovely weather fisherman's rod.an 8144 will take the world on, take the wind and storms on, cast 8oz lead with half a kilo of salmon, put fear of god into weed monsters and never say "i give up"only negative is they are heavier, otherwise they beat the sensor in every category.[/quote'']not saying they havent snapped on people mate, just saying that a few blokes that i know that have them and have been using them for years that i know havent had any dramas and caught decent fish on them ;)

It’s not the landing of the fish that breaks the rod,it’s the cast.If someone puts a proper strong power cast with a reasonable amount of weight on the end of the line that’s when the rod can snap.Quite common with chinese made rods.Or if a rod is too strong then it won't snap but it will be like casting using a broom stick

lol a bit of a contradiction in terms there mate - "I want a rod thats strong but light for mullies on the fwc"???All cool there - sure, casting a big bait and a big sinker takes a bit of power and the lighter the rod the easier it is to do that....(to a point)...BUT Theres the ever present chance of getting a "Nick" on the rod that will enevitably eventually snap it at the most in opportune time eg casting it after a 12 hour drive and no shops to get another one for hundreds of k's....OR and heres the biggie! You actually hook a fwc mullie! I've got a Wilson fsu 6144 and have had that thing working at its utmost trying to stop a xos fish whos only task at that time is to get back to her rellies in tassie! Every time I hook up with a big fish over there I hear the fibreglass crack that little more - no matter what you do with it over here (eg. salties) - no matter where you fish or what you catch - there seems to be a difference in the pressure and strain you have to put on the rod - a big mullie over there is in a class all its own and WILL put your gear through its paces...So, speaking from experience I would probably go a heavier wrap rod and get a gym membership to be able to handle the extra weight....In all seriousness casting over there isnt the issue - (ive hooked fish 10 metres off the shore) so you dont need to cast that far anyway - the gym membership will come in handy for the fight of your life! ;)

I go fishing weekly and have caste'd this rod thousands of times with heavy sinkers and baits, it's never let me down and I couldn't imagine it breaking at the tip either. I also own a Emblem Surf 10ft 3-6 oz and they also come in a 5-7oz 12ft. The Emblem Surf cast's well and would never snap! I know this because I forgot to pull my handbrake when I parked my car and had my rods on the bull bar! When I closed my barn door the car rolled forward and was stopped by my Emblem Surf rod and the Basham's carpark fence! It snapped a reel like a twig but left my rod looking like a bow until I backed the car out. Oh I still use that rod all the time and haven't had any probs with it. Diawa are strong and light rod's so check them out!

In most cases a rod snapping can be due to the sinker swinging back and hitting the rod while preparing for a cast.It only needs a small chip in the blank that gives it that weak point.I was going to buy the sensor rod and learn how to cast properly doing a pendulum cast to get the bait out to where the fish were.I was talked out of buying the rod for that style of cast as it would snap on the first few casts.Most rods will stand up to a standard type of cast.This is a pendulum cast showing the stress put on a rodhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGR_7XZOrS0&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcNTHNbmO6Y&feature=related

Most guys that I have seen on the beaches over the last 40 years,couldn't cast an overhead reel to save their lives. :laugh: Those video's show how to cast the right way,using skill and technique,something that the spinning reel crowd will never understand.Spinning reels were designed for mug casters. Although they are great for throwing light weights.

I have a 13' Daiwa Sensor, a purchased 7153 2 piece Snyder, another custom built 1 piece 7153 Snyder.I regularly throw big weights with them, have dropped them and banged them more than I'd care to mention and they all have never let me down. I'm confident that they will continue to serve me well for some time yet.The Snyders with Alveys on them are as heavy as hell but I personally very much like them. The Sensor is light and very responsive, I really enjoy fishing with that too.Good luck with the decisions.On a side note, I'm very interested to hear how someone has snapped two Sensors?Cheers.

I have owned two sensor surf rods, one rated 2-4oz and the other 3-6oz, both 11'4" and overhead models. I love the lighter one, great heavy salmon, gummy or light mully rod. I sold the heavier version as I found it over rated with what it would throw. I didn't even handle a six ounce sinker without any bait, let alone a squid head or salmon slab. You could lob that sort of weight okay but forget about really getting behind the cast. With six and bait it would have been easy to snap that rod, as it is with any graphite rod if you use it inappropriately. I had my doubts that the rod felt too light in the shop but was assured that heaps of people used it for six and bait. Daiwa is well known for over rating their surf rods, although my lighter sensor is spot on. I can't speak about fiberglass surf rods as I've never used one and most likely never will.

i busted the sensors on the cast, maybe i just got unluckyu do have to be a lot more careful with them compared to an 8144an 8144 imo will last your lifetime and will handle anythingi couldnt imagine a sensor surf lasting a lifetime though, i did get another one, and this hasnt broken but i use it where i dont have to cast much.they are lovely to use, no doubting that, but i would want an 8144 if i had 1 rod

I have an 8144 a 7153 a sensor surf and a sabre 540,the one i like the least is the sensor surf [ casts well] , the best for brute strength and big fish would be the 540 and the best all round would be the 8144.The 7153 is also a strong rod that will cast big weights and fish a big running surf well.Cheers B)

Guest Red Bull
Hey Boons you just gave me a good idea mates got a mt8144 blank i cut a few inches of the top and run one of those new Penn spinfisher 10500 on it now thats going to be one shark and ray and mully slayer i reckon it would be good to throw large baits out might have to look into it a bit more cheers
I have a 5120 which I had the top 6 inches removed,and had built up to run my Penn Senator 6/0 through.Now,that was a stump puller for sure So,your idea might be worth further thought........find a good rod builder and have a chat.
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought a Shimano Beach Basher.

Is that one of the R&A's dynamix rods? I had a feel of one of those when they got them in, seemed like a good rod for the money, although I despise big threadline outfits. I've got one of the lighter dynamix rods, the estuary model, a great little rod, caught some 50cm+ salmon on it last week, great fun. Good luck with the new setup.

Yea mate, it is one of there dynamix rods. What do you mean you despise big threadline outfits? Yea, the rod is yet to be christened, hopefully in a few weeks. Feels a good rod though, feels strong enough to get the big mullies, but to have some fun on the salmon as well.

What do you mean you despise big threadline outfits?

I don't like using big threadlines, for surf fishing or otherwise. They are big and heavy, cast like crap and aren't nearly as good for fighting big fish. The biggest threadline I own is a Penn Slammer 360 and that's the largest I'll go, one possible exception being a deep water jigging setup. It amazes me that people use Penn 950's, the only use I can see for one of those is an anchor for my kayak. But that's just my opinion, heaps of good fishos use them and love them and catch lots of fish.

I see where your coming from plankton, big eggys and i mean the giant ones are like big coffee grinders,do the job they are meant to but sitting up on the rod make for a heavy balance.The big alveys may be heavy but low down on the butt are nicely balanced and comfortable.ditto o/hs sit high on the rod but balance nice as they are light, with eggys i like large but not the xos ones.