new shark setup-your opinion?

just looking to splurge on a new setup to replace my senator 9/0.looking at a tld 50 or tyrnos 50 matched to a t-curve bluewater 24kg rod.does anyone have this combo or have an opinion on it. i trying to see really if the 50 sized reels are more matched to 24kg-37kg rods rather then just a straight 24kg rod...my 9/0 is matched to a fenwich sea hawk 24kg but the rod is quiet chunky for a 24kg setup.

Both very good reels mate heaps of these discussions on both reels. U can't really go wrong with either one TLD very light (for a 50) very good reels Tyronos 50 if anything a more solid TLD Pretty sure the new TLDs have the upgraded drags now yeah? As for Rods. My newest sharking combo tiagra 50 with a 24-37kg rod after seeing it loaded up wouldn't go 15-24. Ppl say it's over kill but I rekon it's fine What' ever u choose itl do the job

Hi imho TLD50 lrsa with the slightly higher drag rating would be fine so you can run 650 of 50lb or 400 of 80lb and i agree 24kg to 37kg rod would be the go, Tiagra 37KG stand up or backbone elite 37kg but my personal choice when i get some extra cash would be a sabre or calstar 670h with about 3 to 4 inchs cut from the top custom made cheers

personally i dont know if you need the tld50 in sa waters, then again i dont know what your chasing size wise. (sorry barbz im one who thinks 34kg outfits are overkill)i have not used the tyrnos, but have not heard anything negative.in terms of rod i dont think you can go pass the texalium 15-24kg. i have 4 different texaliums and 2 tcurve. all are great. the texaliums can take a few bumps and knocks though, the tcurve are light as anything on the market.hope that helps.

personally i dont know if you need the tld50 in sa waters' date=' then again i dont know what your chasing size wise. (sorry barbz im one who thinks 34kg outfits are overkill)i have not used the tyrnos, but have not heard anything negative.in terms of rod i dont think you can go pass the texalium 15-24kg. i have 4 different texaliums and 2 tcurve. all are great. the texaliums can take a few bumps and knocks though, the tcurve are light as anything on the market.hope that helps.[/quote']I'm another who agrees with this train of thought.I'm never looking for humungous sharks, just something manageable which will provide me a few good feeds, so I dont really need anything over 15kg for my own fishing.....I like to target the lil 5 footers!I use a Saltiga 4500 and 6500 threadline outfit, which is fantastic for the little bronzies.....it's heartwarming to pull big fish on threadlines!For setting balloons in the gulf I go to the Charter Special on a 15kg custom stick.As a backup I have a TLD25 on a 24kg rollered stick.I'm also a fan of the Texaliums, and have a couple of them in my own line-up.I don't fish landbased, so I have no need for huge line capacity, but if I did, I'd be favouring the Tyrnos, simply for the added quality and the bling factor. On a budget, the TLD 50 would suffice.Charter special/custom rod:Posted ImageOh yeah, and can someone quickly grab that rod in the background for me please! :P

My last bronzie was from a tinnie using a 4000 size egg beater average 6’ rod & 20Lb line.Shark was 5’ long had it in the boat within 10mins and that was playing it out a fair bit as i wasn’t set up for shark.So for the set ups you guys are talking about it must be a massive shark your chasing.

Easier on a boat man. U can pull up and chase it..Off the land u can't chase nothing that why the more line capacity is needed especially for the bigger sharks 9/0 is more than enuf of the land. Upgrade ur drag washers and ul be Cheerin

My last bronzie was from a tinnie using a 4000 size egg beater average 6’ rod & 20Lb line.Shark was 5’ long had it in the boat within 10mins and that was playing it out a fair bit as i wasn’t set up for shark.So for the set ups you guys are talking about it must be a massive shark your chasing.

Easier on a boat man. U can pull up and chase it..Off the land u can't chase nothing that why the more line capacity is needed especially for the bigger sharks 9/0 is more than enuf of the land. Upgrade ur drag washers and ul be Cheerin
Nope we never up anchored and moved,not much fight that i recall.Wish it lasted longer.Plus two guys i know that fish right thru summer every week for shark on land and they just use large spinfishers with out any problems.Any way i got some fence posts on a lean,might be able to get one of you guys to bring your set up around and straighten them for me.

I would be looking at a 50w and a 15-24, 24kg rod. for land based fishing.Reel wise, i know you would have to be unlucky but the tld50s the reels are made from graphite which is why they are so light which i have seen pictures floating around the net off them smashing apart at the reel seat, but i do believe you would have to be very unlucky. They have fin-nor Santiagos at ray annes for 525 for a 50w, the tld are 400, if you have the cash go the fin-nor if i was you. Mind you if you dont want the added features of the 2speed and bling factor just use your 9/0.24-37kg is too broomstick for me, when your fishing for something for 2 hours you have to hold onto that rod that hole time breaks your arms, where as a nice loaded up 15-24kg rod takes the strain off your arms. But if you can find a 24-37kg that feels nice i guess go for it.I would be running 50lb line more than enough for someone to be able to hold onto, you would struggle to run true drag for 80lb line unless your a big guy. You need the line capacity off the beach, your fighting a shark at a horizontal level say 6m of water trying to pull it into a foot of water, where as in a boat you can either chase the shark in the boat or they just stick deep and your just pulling them up from deep water not trying to pull it into the shallows.Good luck

Nope we never up anchored and moved' date='not much fight that i recall.Wish it lasted longer.Plus two guys i know that fish right thru summer every week for shark on land and they just use large spinfishers with out any problems.Any way i got some fence posts on a lean' date='might be able to get one of you guys to bring your set up around and straighten them for me.[/quote'']So they balloon out big spinfishers 2-300 meters off shore and have how much line capacity left. Dunno how they would mange against a big shark. Every shark will fight different thow
personally i dont know if you need the tld50 in sa waters' date=' then again i dont know what your chasing size wise. (sorry barbz im one who thinks 34kg outfits are overkill)i have not used the tyrnos' date=' but have not heard anything negative.in terms of rod i dont think you can go pass the texalium 15-24kg. i have 4 different texaliums and 2 tcurve. all are great. the texaliums can take a few bumps and knocks though, the tcurve are light as anything on the market.hope that helps.[/quote'']I'm another who agrees with this train of thought.I'm never looking for humungous sharks, just something manageable which will provide me a few good feeds, so I dont really need anything over 15kg for my own fishing.....I like to target the lil 5 footers!I use a Saltiga 4500 and 6500 threadline outfit, which is fantastic for the little bronzies.....it's heartwarming to pull big fish on threadlines!For setting balloons in the gulf I go to the Charter Special on a 15kg custom stick.As a backup I have a TLD25 on a 24kg rollered stick.I'm also a fan of the Texaliums, and have a couple of them in my own line-up.I don't fish landbased, so I have no need for huge line capacity, but if I did, I'd be favouring the Tyrnos, simply for the added quality and the bling factor. On a budget, the TLD 50 would suffice.Charter special/custom rod:Posted ImageOh yeah, and can someone quickly grab that rod in the background for me please! :P
Very nice rod With the charter special
Guest Red Bull
Nope we never up anchored and moved' date='not much fight that i recall.Wish it lasted longer.Plus two guys i know that fish right thru summer every week for shark on land and they just use large spinfishers with out any problems.Any way i got some fence posts on a lean' date='might be able to get one of you guys to bring your set up around and straighten them for me.[/quote'']So they balloon out big spinfishers 2-300 meters off shore and have how much line capacity left. Dunno how they would mange against a big shark. Every shark will fight different thow
I know that with the old Daiwa GS9,with only a 50m cast off the beach,sometimes have to "hot-foot it" up the beach after a reasonable size one.I think from memory only 250m of 30lb,but as strong as an ox.
Nay only cast out about 50m,i was with them one night at brighton so i'd seen what they were doing.
Nay only cast out about 50m,i was with them one night at brighton so i'd seen what they were doing.
Yea fair enuf mate

[quo. i don't know maybe il just stick with the good o'l 9/0.]Hi you could complement the 9/0 with a tld 30 tyrnos 30 with 600mtrs of 30lb as a second outfit for the bottom or ballooning on a wilson tex or livefibre 15 to 24kg 7ft everyone i know including myself allways use two outfits when they go LBSF As for spinners we are talking here about big mothers 8 to 10ft 150kg plus after 6ft bronzies start to really stack on the weight not saying the cant be caught on spinners but maybe Saltiga 7000 or 6500 loaded with 80lb braid or stella 20000 who knows.Seen finnors 9500os full of 80lb and 50lb braid hammered and my own penn 850ss full of 30lb mono stripped in a blink of and eye maybe the new penn spinfisher 10500 might be the way to go see ya

[quoteI know that with the old Daiwa GS9,with only a 50m cast off the beach,sometimes have to "hot-foot it" up the beach after a reasonable size one.I think from memory only 250m of 30lb,but as strong as an ox.Daiwa GS9I had the GS9 and never got to use it so i'll be putting in an order for one next week.If i recall the drag can go as far as lock up.attachment.php.gif

I've got photos of mates hooked up last season on 50lb 50w and sitting with about 150m of line left. 50w is a perfect reel for big sharks. I just got back from grange hooked into a big smoothie on 50lb on a small overhead had 350m of line on it nearly got spooled on its first run. A good quality 50w not only holds 700+ meters of 50lb also has a good drag system to be able to run big drag pressure for large amount of time and not heat up. Buy what you want it's up to you but if you loose a fish of a life time you'll be the one in tears not me.. Every shark fisher I know runs a 50w or 9/0 from land or larger

i have lost count of how many times iv seen/heard of 50w's almost spooled 50w is pretty much the average size for big sharks if your targetting fish 7ft+ you will have a good chance, anyone who thinks that you can handle a big shark landbased with a spinfisher is tripping cause it wont happen you'll be spooled befor you know it 6ft would be about as big as you'll get unless you hook a slug of a shark that wonts to run along the beach instead of for deeper water (99.9% of them will).. but i wouldnt know anything ill just stick with my overkill sabre 655H makaira 50w and 9/0 laughing at the misinformed fishos ballooning 300lb wire and slimy's with there egg beaters... might score myself a bronzie with a free 300m spool of 24kg hanging out its mouth :Dss

i have lost count of how many times iv seen/heard of 50w's almost spooled 50w is pretty much the average size for big sharks if your targetting fish 7ft+ you will have a good chance' date=' [b']anyone who thinks that you can handle a big shark landbased with a spinfisher is tripping [/b]cause it wont happen you'll be spooled befor you know it 6ft would be about as big as you'll get unless you hook a slug of a shark that wonts to run along the beach instead of for deeper water (99.9% of them will).. but i wouldnt know anything ill just stick with my overkill sabre 655H makaira 50w and 9/0 laughing at the misinformed fishos ballooning 300lb wire and slimy's with there egg beaters... might score myself a bronzie with a free 300m spool of 24kg hanging out its mouth :Dss

All comes down to how bigger fish your targeting,for me any thing too big and unstoppable i'd be cutting the line.I wouldn't want to waste my time being hooked onto to something i didn't want to keep.Everyone to there own. :)
Guest Red Bull

Well my best shark off the sand on the trusty old GS9,is a titch over 5 feet,and he had me nearly to the spool knot a couple of times.Thought he was "a lot bigger" at first :) but was "almost disappointed" when he was only that big :( Just goes to show you the raw power they can possess :sh And yep,been spooled a couple of times over the years,that's just a badge of honour B)