you cant go off any of the metro beaches, so local youll need a boat and be a confident freediver. im pretty sure its south of norlunga and north of outerhabour you can spearfish but you have to be 100m from any jetty. if you go on google maps youll be able to spot some reefs. try selicks reef, on a nice flat day its beautiful snorkleing theregoodluck its good fun

G'day mate,I've done a fair bit of spear fishing over on the Yorke Peninsula. I go to a spot called Barkers Rocks other side of Minlaton. There are schools of some kinda fish there (they eat sea weed) that follow the reef up and down, kinda a cross between a bream and a sweep haha. I've eaten them before, tasted ok but I'm not a big fish eater... plenty of meat on them. Other than that there's a few whiting if your a good shot and lucky enough. Flathead too but good luck spotting them. As for being safe well I never feel safe spearfishing lol.

you can spear anywhere south of the onkaparinga mouth, except 2nd valley and I think rapid bay? its outlined in the above link anyway.I've gone spearing around the rocky area just south of the mouth at noarlunga, and further down at moana but all I've managed to spear was a squid and some yellowfin whiting :DDid see a mulloway down at moana which was pretty cool.as for being safe... well, you are in the water, with dead fish... it comes with risk.