Whats in the Port River

Guest undertaker

I saw the Police pull up an HG Holden about 20 years ago with it's "occupants" still inside :o.........funnily enough,3 day's later,they were at my place of business ;D.......did a fine job on them too,even if I say so myself. ;)Far and away the biggest capture I've seen in the Port. :icon_lol:

Over the years I have seen or caught...King George Whiting,Yellowfin Whiting,Mullet,Salmon/Salmon Trout,Tommies,Gar,Mulloway,Trevally,Slimey Mackeral,Bream,Snapper,Eagle Ray,Trumpeter,Smooth Ray,Scorpion Fish,Eels,Flathead,Squid,Chowand Mackeral Trevalla.All from the container wharves up to the causeway .When i was a kid used to love it when Dad would be putting the fishing gear into the back of the old Valiant,with a grin on his face saying,"Where going down the port"It was never the same as heading up the River or over to YP but it was always an adventure and there was always something to catch.Cheers 8)

When I used to bait fish i have caught KG whiting Bream Mullet .Seen Small flaties .Saw the biggest Bream I have ever seen about 20 years ago caught by a little old scotsman with an avery reel and a giant ball sinker .Caught on the old cement wharfs.My wife's Brother in law once told me many years back.About a train car that went into the Port river .Divers were sent down to find it and help bring it up.They surfaced and asked which of the many train cars they want brought up.Seems over the years the workers hadn't bothered to tell anyone when they went over the edge :icon_eek:

Where abouts were these two cadavers pulled from? Near the birks?

No,from the Veitch Rd area.......been under for "a while" as well........couple of weeks from memory.
Oh yeah, I think I know where. I went fishing one time there from this ancient looking wharf. I think thats where they would have driven the car off.BTW, was their skin all translucent n stuff from being underwater?
Guest undertaker

Where abouts were these two cadavers pulled from? Near the birks?

No,from the Veitch Rd area.......been under for "a while" as well........couple of weeks from memory.
Oh yeah, I think I know where. I went fishing one time there from this ancient looking wharf. I think thats where they would have driven the car off.BTW, was their skin all translucent n stuff from being underwater?
Looked a little bit like Glad wrap instead of skin in some places :o..........this is probably not the place though, huh ::) ;D
  • 11 years later...

Don't mean to dig up an ancient thread, but seemed fitting to add comment, given, the fishing spot is on topic. 

Back in the 70's (circa 1974), Dad and I stumbled across a dilapidated boat-builders jetty, in the port river (diagonally across from the power station). Was late afternoon June/July. The wooden pylons were still solid, but most of the decking had gone south. So you had to be careful where you walked or you'd end up in the drink.  We were heading home, but decided to give it a go for 20 min or so.  Within minutes of dropping lines, we've hooked up.  We fished until dusk, by then, we'd filled the bucket with a couple of decent feeds. 

Bream heaven is the best description.  It was our regular fishing spot from them on wards. 3lb (1.3kg) were the norm, we'd hooked a few monsters too.   Unfortunately, all good things seem to come to an end. About 12 months in, we turned up to find the jetty fenced up, and being rebuilt. The end result, a solid concrete jetty. Sadly the bream were no longer there.

Took a look at Google maps the other day, but it's no longer there. Here's where it was.

bream.jpg.001edff20d19c0a44b20f0ec5470a5ff.jpg