have seen the seamartins in action.. freaky and neat idea for sure.. love the way it lays the line on when retrieved... beg to differ with the casting sorry.. i will sail a bait and a lure a long way past what i can do with a spinner of overhead ..spent a good 4 hrs at sheringa tossing a lure out time after time... gets a bit tiring, but it can be done... arms like arnold that night.. have had the side wind peel line off maybe 3 times ever... those that know me and have fished with me will know the best time i like to fish is in that very strong wind..you get used to it.... one of the biggest tips i will say on the alvey is if spooling it up, make sure the line goes on tight.. i wrap my line from spool in a bucket of water, line wrapped around the rainwater tank downpipe a couple of times to make sure it goes on tight.. when i bust a rig off,( thousands of times on the rocks) i will wind in the slack line with line interwoven around my fingers to keep it tight...

Hi roknev i must say i was a bit amazed at the comment ,as far as i know thats one of the selling points of the alvey is how far you can cast in the surf ,or from the rocks ,the reel that aus was taking about would have to go into a collectors item you would not want to use it at that price and being so rare ,i admit that to do continuoes lure casting is not realy what they are desighned for, but i can remember taking the old silver slice down to waitpinga and casting that into the surf for a fair while :)

Gotta love the Alveys B) I grew up seeing my Dad catch thousands of fish on them,he was a master,Mulloway, Salmon,Tommies,Gar,Callop and even Murray Cod you name it he caught them on Alveys.Use to love seeing him when i was a kid outfishing everyone and it didnt matter where or whatever species.As the years wore on i guess he got bored and used the latest and greatest OHs ect for a bit of a challenge,but seeing a bloke who is a gun at using an Alvey is like watching a master tradesman plying his craft. B)

Hi roknev i must say i was a bit amazed at the comment ' date='as far as i know thats one of the selling points of the alvey is how far you can cast in the surf ,or from the rocks ,the reel that aus was taking about would have to go into a collectors item you would not want to use it at that price and being so rare ,i admit that to do continuoes lure casting is not realy what they are desighned for, but i can remember taking the old silver slice down to waitpinga and casting that into the surf for a fair while :)[/quote']ahhh got ya.. the seamartin i seen in action was on the rocks next to me.. one of my mates dads, it lost something and the handle fell off.. he was ropable and threw the reel onto the rocks... :S :S he had another at home, and had no idea they were worth so much... until i mentioned what he just threw in a heap and was really ready to just throw in bin was a very rare reel... i told him a minimum of 700 for it easy.. he treated it like a new born then... funny though.. workmate just picked up a mint seamartin, for 40 bucks at a garage sale... not a mark on it.. he fully intends to use it as well... i certainly wouldnt be spooling it up.. would be on the mantle as the talking point it is.

Only one very obvious point..If the alvey’s were that good a all rounder reel you’d be seeing a lot more people using them.But you don’t.Just noticed............... it is back onhttp://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLIFF-MARTIN-CEDAR-WOOD-Seamartin-Vintage-Surf-Fishing-Reel-Australian-/321016355036?pt=AU_Vintage_Fishing&hash=item4abe10d8dcAU $1,025.00

Well ausea all i can say is that in about 8 years they will have been making these reels for 100 years ,they are still for sale unlike others that have come and gone ,they are a robust no nonsence reel desighned for australian conditions ,no 6000 ball bearings to worry about ,no fine mesh gearing or fancy anodising to get scratched or having to worry that if sand gets into it to stuff it up ,just an alround tough as nails reel, that you can drop in the sand and seawater and not have to worry about it jamming up ,they make different reels for different applications ,i woudlnt take my alvey 700 out with a surf rod in the boat ,but i would take my 500c out on a 6 foot rod in fact i am thinking about selling my abu 7000 and replacing it with an alvey snapper reel ,originally this thread was about alvey reels, who on here still uses them and obviuosly there are a band of fishermen out there who still do use them regularly and love them,it wasnt about seamartin reels or ebay auctions ,lets try to stay on the thread topic ,if you want to talk about seamartins or doc martins or ebay auctions start a thread on it mate

this is true rocknev ,i use spinners in my boat as well but after watching the alvey dvd i started wondering if it would be worth while using one as a snapper reel rather than my abu 7000,dont get me wrong here i still enjoy using my spinners but maybe i am thinking its time to get back on the beach and back to what i was taught on ,as for some one saying they arent good for casting long distance there talking out there hat,maybe there not that good for lures but they can still be used for them .

this is true rocknev ' date='i use spinners in my boat as well but after watching the alvey dvd i started wondering if it would be worth while using one as a snapper reel rather than my abu 7000,dont get me wrong here i still enjoy using my spinners but maybe i am thinking its time to get back on the beach and back to what i was taught on ,[b']as for some one saying they arent good for casting long distance there talking out there hat[/b],maybe there not that good for lures but they can still be used for them .

Geez i'd like to know who that some one is and give them a mouthful,run em out of town if need be. :angry:
  • 1 month later...

Ausea i got a good laugh from your posts.. i know many a man who fishes day in day out with a alvey bait fishing all day long.. my step father was my influence in fishing. hence my love of alveys to this day. he still uses a 450/500 series alvey for all forms of table fishing from whiting on running rigs to garfish on pencil floats and even fishing completely unweighted he can cast further than many people using floats.as for lure casting, yes they arnt geared up like a modern day spin reel to make it easier. but i have still been lure fishing for salmon for hours with those around me casting miles further than everyone else and cranking them alveys in at a steady pace all day long.. catching just as many fish as everyone else. i know when it comes to beach/rocks i wont turn to anything else by choice. though i do own a few big spinners.. and.. ive broken many many many big spinners.. including while in sessions on the rocks with nev.. ill stick to my alveys i think ;)

Naturally when one gets use to using one type of reel and are comfortable with it,then stick with it.I don’t see the Alvey reel around much as it use to,which may show the popularity has slowed.But owning 4-5 over the years i could cast 100m at max using 4oz but i get longer cast with the spinning reel or Abu 7000.

popularity wise.. of course some shinny new diamond encrusted 5000000ballbearing spinning real with a million$$ of advertisement behind it will outsell the good old fashioned hand winch that the alvey is ;) Alveys key points are its suitability to robust fishing styles such as beach and rocks. as for its its casting ability, really is amazing in comparison to my spinning reals. My thoughts about your casting abilities with an alvey... you need some work ;) if you cant out cast an overhead/spinning real with a suitably set up alvey and its matched rod.Alveys dont have the gloss of a modern day real. they dont need it. those who understand them and their attributes will keep fishing them for a long time to come. they are a real that takes some work to master, but then again so is an over head. id never even consider an overhead as a beach/rock fishing option. then again i dont have much use for one in my arsenal. nor the time put into their use.

alvey make a 2 speed alvey.... never seen one, but theres a video on youtibe of it in action ... remember the time one of jimmies mates turned up with a brand name big spinner del? all bright and shiny in gold and black.. wont mention the brand name... first cast, retrieve, snagged... couldnt shift it, so walk backwards as normal holding the spool to break the line without bending the rod.. almighty expensive sounding noise... and end of 500 doller spin reel.. we pulled apart for a look and ball bearings falling out from everywhere... this was a brand new virgin reel... used for all of one cast... now consider that to an alvey, mine are yrs old... (20+ yrs some of them)have been dropped, smashed, fell on, fell out of car, submerged in salt water,covered in dust from long drives to spots sitting in rod racks on bonnet of car, and gone yrs without so much as a rinse off, let alone an oil or grease... ( bro lost his at sheringa for over half an hr to the crashing surf.. when found, rinsed off in ocean and carried on fishin)i might be biasedm but will ANY other reel be able to work completly as it should after being subject to any of the things alveys go through? VERY much doubt it... your saying because you dont see them they are not popular? i cant remember the last time i seen a real gt falcon, or a real gts bathurst monaro,a real GTR XU1 torana? yeah its been a while... just because you dont see them doesnt mean they are not about... go to qld and see just how many alveys are used.. PLENTY of them ... maybe one day matey i might get to have a fish with you..maybe show just how good an alvey can be... if you fall asleep on the rocks dont worry... if the alvey goes off it will wake you up..

nice video... but are you trying to tell me that reel doesnt get a full clean down and lube afterwards? doubt it

Those reels are priced over 500 dollars if not way more.Dont get lubed from what ive read but yeah could buy 5 Alveys for the price lol.Oh dont wanna be part of the argument' date=' just an observation.Off a for sale thread on here regarding a Vaan stahl.............The reel runs ok still very tight,no play in any moving parts.i tried to open it and things went wrong so i had to seal it up with loctite after the service.Should not need a service for 4-5 years unless going under water with it,but opening it will require some tools.I have used it like that and showed no problems in it’s operation.That’s why it has a major drop in price

each to their own ausea....i use a spinner from boat or chasing squid land based, sometimes an abu7000 from boat... and the alvey for rocks and beaches... been using alveys for 20+ yrs, and for me they are the reel of choice... ive got 4 brothers... 3 who fish... all of us use alveys, snyderglas' or butterworth rods.. not one rod is under 20yrs old.. i can strip an alvey down on the rocks/sand/ even the moon.. they just that simple.ive got 4 alveys... 650C, 650C5, a deep spool 651C which holds 1000mtrs of 20lb, and got given a rare beast the other day... thought it was identical to my deep spool 651, and it is.. but then its not...????? cant say ive ever seen a left handed alvey before .. but i have now.. im changing it to a right handy so i can use it..i would put my alvey and snyder up against any rod and reel combo out there.. for toughness and durability its just so hard to go past an alvey...old school? maybe.. but that can be a good thing.. i cant say ive seen a current car that turns my head... to see a clubsport commo, and next to it a 6 cylinder stocky with the same body kit.. and shudder... CHEVY badges... sort of have a good laugh about that.. but each to their own..

Well just picked up my brand new alvey rod ,good looking unit and it will suit my 700c surf champion well ,probably going to need some practice to cast this beast correctly but shouldnt take long to master ,have read most of the posts on here watched a video on some guy trying to bury his spinning real, because he was so ashamed of it but got caught by the camera crew ,and been told these alveys cant cast very well :laugh: . and to finish of all the posters who said how good they are have been called old women ."WHAT" anyone would think that alveys dont have a reputation for there magnificent casting ability,there robustness and there longjevity of service ,all types of reels have there place as rocnev said and i agree i use spinners in my boat and an abu 7000 but i dont call the people who talk about them a bunch of old women just because they like a certain type of reel ,have a look back at the original post i put up ,i asked if anyone still used them ,what they thought of them ,now there have been some good comments and points about how to use them by the fellas on here that do use them "in certain areas of fishing" mate cmon no need for that!