Hi all just wondering if anyone here uses alvey reels ,see a lot of spinners ect but not much on alveys ,this was the reel i learnt to fish on and has a special place in my heart as it is the one i was taught on ,i have a few alveys not many but i was down at the fishing wholesaler on sunday and saw the 700 c like mine wow the price blew me away wont be getting rid of that one have a couple of 500c as well and a baby alvey which was what i taught my son on it is resigned to the cupboard now as a memory peice anyone still use them?

ive got a new 650C5, a 25 yr old 650C, 25 yr old 651C which is a deep spool holding approx 1000mtrs of 25lb line.. and got given another 651C the other day... the bloke cant use it, and niether can i.. first time in using alveys for 25+yrs if actually seen a left handed alvey.. identical to look at but spins the other way... im going to try and keep the spool and swap it to another backing plate and see if will change it to a right handed modellove my alveys.. matched to an 8 144 snyderglas, or my C'MERE snyderglas 7 153... tough reels..

I have a old 650 mustard yellow one that would be easily 25+ years old still looks like new and has never missed a beat, dont use it that much anymore but i like my stuff, i have an old Pennegg beater thats was my Dads that looks like it just came out the box that would be 40 years old and a Penn overhead. Can never part with tackle much to the wifes dismay.

Mine is very similar to the black one but without the drilled spool and its more of a flat black in colour with the name in white written on the side. Tried to dig it out then with a torch but to hard without waking people up, will get it for sure tomorrow. how much was the one you bought if you dont mind me asking. Appologies for getting off topic here a bit but i like old tackle.

I picked up the current 850ssmThe green 720Z is from a estate and still has a hour to go in bidding.upto $49http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PENN-720Z-Spinning-Reel-looks-unused-Estate-/170926889237?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item27cc095915PENNhttp://www.stripersonline.com/t/718884/drilled-penn-reels-random-pictures

hi guys i own 6 alveys, best reels ever made and so easy to use, i will swear by them wont use anything else ,tried the rest and im sticking with the best,i,ve got one thati have had for 40 years, that was my first been hooked ever since [skuse the pun] found it down the old lonsdale dump,took it home, washed it, oiled it, and now i still use it,only to remember is always use a swivell between the main line and the trace and you will never have a problem,learn to guide the line evenly on to the spool using your finger,and you will rarely if ever get a birds nest. be happy to talk to any one about them anytime.Khombi :fishing::clap::clap::clap:

Good on ya kombi thats what i like to hear ,i thought i was keeping these things for sentimental sake ,i saw one on ebay the other day and it was a buety all brass timbe spool a real collectors item ,i have use abu,diawa,sheakespear ,jarvis walker ect for outright toughness you cant beat one of these reels no gears to strip solid construction i suppose thats why they have been around for so long

Yeh they are a great invention, terrific off the beach. If they get covered in sand give em a dip no dramas or worries, id have a heart attack if some of my egg beaters hit the sand. Ive seen blokes cast the alveys further than i could ever get with my best effort regardless of whatever real im using, are you one of those guys khombi.

Look to be honest i just do everthing without even thinking about it,and another tip, i never cast overhead, always from the side, left or right, using a 9ft soft tip $30 rod i bought locally i can always outcast most people on the beach with very little effort and thats not because i am good its because the reels have big spool with very little drag and the line just seems to float off, so easy so simple and so rewarding. As i said i wont use anything else, nothing to go wrong. If i have one critisism of the reels its a slow retrieve but you become used to it and it becomes the norm :fishing::clap::clap::clap: KHOMBI

brother lost his alvey and snyderglas to a rouge wave at sheringa... we stood on the beach swearing and were ready to just give it away and head home... 20 mins later, up pops the last eye of the 12ft snyder....tried 3 times to reach it, but waves crashing in and not that dumb.. some woman next to us didnt seem to care, in she went, grabbed the tip and somehow got dumped on the dune we were standing on, with the rod... rebaited and fished the rest of day... pulled apart 4 hrs later for a proper rinse in running water.. but its an alvey.. working like clockwork like it should...

the slow retrieve can be a pain when flicking lures around.. especially when you can sail a lure to oblivian... but one turn is still a fair bit of line coming back on... you can buy a two speed alvey as well.. never seen one, but theres a video on youtube of one in action... feeling tired? have a nap... something takes your bait, that screaming sweet sound will wake you from the deepest of sleeps... love my alveys.. keep an eye out for a coming issue of the mag MODERN FISHING.. theres going to be a story on the alvey... check out the fat ugly dude hooked on to an eagle ray... bent all the way 153 snyderglas... i got beat up bad that day..rubbed a rock and bust me off after a good half hr of running me all over the ocean....

Well that makes me feel a lot better ,now i know there are some guys around who use these on a regular basis that does it i am getting that new surf /rock fishing rod for my 700c ,i must admit that i was a bit hesitant to bring them out and use them thinking people might say ahhhh look at this guy hes living in the stoneage but the alvey has always been known to be the king of casting and "its the alvey reel that fills the creel"crispy :laugh:

I persisted with my Alvey all last weekend at Salt Creek learning how to use it properly and glad i did, i love it, well apart from some mad welts on my hand from line slap from casting. I need to fix the 650c deep spool i brought on Ebay but rocked up damaged :( had a crack in the spool.. bit of bog and a lick of paint should see it like new again! And it's an old school alvey so it has the meaty alvey sound... unlike my current "plastic" one.

the rod to match an alvey should have the first eye about the middle of the rod.. its usually an oversized eye, or a low mounted 40... a little clip on side of rod near butt to clip line into... and should be a short butt.... i find using an alvey gimble is a great idea .. especially for lure retrieving.. as mentioned, after using for a while its becomes second nature to just finger the line onto the spool...try an oval for casting practice... thats how we learnt ...most people hold the line with their thumb to cast, i prefer to use left index finger ... can hurt a bit especially when cold fingers if it snaps as softy mentioned.. but that sound.. hell goose bumps everytime it goes off.. has been a while though since ive heard it... snapper not playing the gamemy 651C with 1000mtrs matched to my 7 wrap 153 will never let me down.. i will break before that rod will.. my C'MERE rod of choice if i ever went chasing sharks , kingies or mullies...

hi mate fishing wholesalers are the alvey agent here in adelaide saw a nice rod ,genuine alvey for a good price ,for my smaller ones i use a spinner rod but with a huge first eye so when the line comes of the spool it isnt trying to get through a small guide ,they used to sell a line guide for alvey reels i dont know if you can still get them just for hooking line into after casting ,when i was a young bloke we did just that down at a reserve near my home, massive cast line jammed next thing crrrrrash ,oh ohhh run boys straight through some guys window ,back in those days we would have got a good belting for it had he have caught us ,didnt go back there again

A couple things that need to be remembered re Alvey reelsOne is that they are not long distance casters,they spend their time sitting in a rod holder.They can’t be used for continuous bait casting.They have limited drag so spooling the reel is required during a strong run.Because the distance from the reel to the first eyelet a side wind will peel line off the reel.You can fit a rubber band on the rod to pinch the line to keep it tight.If iv’e explaind that properly.I have owned three and they work ok but do have those thingo’s about them.I enjoyed owning a seamartin more.Theres a wooden one on ebay now i bet it goes for $1000http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLIFF-MARTIN-CEDAR-WOOD-SEAMARTIN-Vintage-Surf-Fishing-Reel-Australian-/321015652408?pt=AU_Vintage_Fishing&hash=item4abe062038T2eC16NHJIE9qSO8GOFBQTlWPH5g60_3.JPG