Research Project Help

So I am currently in Year 11. As a component, I have to do the research project. As I am a very keen fisherman, I decided to research it. My question is: Where are the best places in South Australia for salmon fishing?. I plan on discovering what baits and lures work best in a particular area and what makes that place so productive. There are many places in South Australia that are every good for salmon fishing but I can only research a few. I have decided to compare salmon fishing in the following locations: one place from the Eyre Peninsula, one place from the Yorke Peninsula, one place from the Fleurieu Peninsula, one place from the South East Coast and one place from the Adelaide Area. I will need help finding my answers so anything would be greatly appreciated. A key part of my research is finding what makes places so productive and why fish are always there?

Well, if you're looking for iconic salmon locations I would suggest, in order of the regions mentioned, Locks Well, Browns, Waitpinga, Beachport Salmon hole and for metro possibly St Kilda or the southern beaches. I've personally only fished a few of those but they all certainly get heaps of mention when salmon spots are discussed.

What makes the places so good?

That's the fun part of your research project, going to those places and fishing them and finding out what makes them good spots. Then I suppose you compare what you found there with spots that aren't known for holding good amounts of salmon and you've got a half decent research paper. ;)

Locks Well is definitely an iconic Eyre Peninsula Salmon spot. Elliston is not bad for the west coast either and they host a fairly big competition there most years.I suspect that one of the things that bring Salmon back to any given spot is the prevalence of food (bait fish schools) that move through those areas at certain times of year.

Hey mate,I am in the finishing stages of my research project that I also did on fishing, rather I wrote a fishing guide for Kangaroo Island. In hindsight I should have chosen one fish species as I could have done a whole guide on that. Make sure if your focus question is where to catch them then try and limit it to that specifically. One place where I went wrong is that I didn't know when to stop as you can research deeper and deeper into each fish. One example is that when researching a rod for each fish, it can be broken into the material/length/different eyes/reel seat etc. and very quickly you are overwhelmed of when to stop. Also, with your lures/baits, make sure you just find what ones work because again you can go into knots, leader, trace line, breaking strain etc. Hope that helps.Also,Don't overlook Kangaroo Island as this is a good spot for salmon especially in shoal bay :) My best lures are the 140mm squidgy flick bait in pilly with a 9gm ball or painted fish head. This is my go to lure if the salmon are a bit shy or timid but if they are on the bite I use a Halco 60gm Twisty. The reason they come in here is to breed and grow in the estuary system each year in the warmer water that holds plenty of baby squid and masses of bait fish.Cheers.