Onkaparinga Mouth - Flathead and mullies.

Evening folks couple of quick questions.I walked over the food bridge at southport this afternoon and chucked around a decent sized SP, trying to find a flat head with no luck, any pointers? i am thinking maybe it was to big but are there any even any there? is that a place they would be? Also i heard about people catching mullies at the mouth of the onk, how would one go about that? Is that throwing into the actual channel in front of the stairs or wading out into the surf and casting out there?And advice would be greatly appreciated,Cheers people!

The mouth itself doesn't seem to yield that much apart from Salmon and baby mullet/bream.For flathead try other areas where there are tidal run offs into deep channels.Mullies seem to be more up towards perry's bend with a few well known spots along the way.Come down to the onkstastomp next sunday and you are guaranteed to see a few mullies pulled in. From memory averagin around 3 per year and bream around the 40cm mark.

Make sure you get off the beaten track....well it's all pretty well beaten but people expect to pull up in their car, throw out a line and catch a 20lber... may happen occasionally but it certainly seems to be the ones that know how to find the deep, quiet spots that find where the fish are.

14386_443245405712987_1348854103_n.jpgbreambos from onk earlier today. can tell residents apart from the visitors easily.only fished the onka a few times. towards the mouth all i've caught are mullet most too large to live bait :angry: st, bream, yfw and gar. mullys i've target twice now and found them up at perrys bend and beyond. check out youtube theres some vids on there and can easily recognise the spots.

Just drove over the bridge by the playground and the pelicans were going nuts.They had somehting there that's for sure!One a side note, I saw a school of salmon outside the reef at porties today and what seemed to be a school disturbing the water in front of southport surf club not 10 mins ago as well