THE QUICK TRIP REPORT THREAD... (post away)

As the title suggests, feel free to throw up some quick reports on what has and hasn't been happening where.If you've had a adventure to write up in detail, of course let us know on a nice "grab a coffee thread" :woohoo:I'll start this off with an early hours Saturday trip.Port River with couple mates in the tinnie. JIMBO dropped a very nice potential PB Mulloway and later on caught a jumping Eagle ray. Nice mornin, but the Port River is still just firing... Slow today but plenty to look forward too :)Cheers
  • Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Managed to knock up a feed today with moggy &hsv Hsv hooked a gar which then got swallowed by a bronzie which then in a calamity of errors was lost boat side due to a recently purchased ego 2 slid

Drove past the water yesterday whilst at work and thought golly, looks good so as soon as i got home hooked the boat up, sorted the rods and the missus and away we went. Launched and went maybe 1km fr

had a great weekend throwing lures at mullys saturday morning i got this fella at the onkAnd heres one of the many on plastics today down the coorong

Posted Images

With the weather looking good today, i went to Outer Harbour about 8am with nothing really particular in mind what to fish. My plan was fishing down the end of the breakwall but i only got half way as my leg were hurting. Didn't waste my time, i setup my rod and start fishing with squid head as a bait. Five minute later, something grab my bait and it was dog shark... and again and again and again... five dog shark in a raw?!. Really annoying but they really give a good fight. With just dog shark taking my bait, i just wanted to go home but when i about to pack my thing suddenly seeeesss...seeeesssssssssssssssss... my reel running very fast. Grab my rod and let it run for awhile but when i realised my line getting short i try to give it a fight. Really heavy. My mind start debating "is this ray?" but it running very fast. It probably a mulloway too. After fighting for maybe 3 or 4 minute, my 10kg line snapped and the fish escape :( . Lesson for me (use much bigger line).Upset but satisfying at the same time as this is the first time i fight fish that heavy. Even if i managed to land the fish, thinking of how i get there i will have to release it :P . So that it for me today. I didn't catch any fish but surely I'll be back :cheer:

With the weather looking good today' date=' i went to Outer Harbour about 8am with nothing really particular in mind what to fish. My plan was fishing down the end of the breakwall but i only got half way as my leg were hurting. Didn't waste my time, i setup my rod and start fishing with squid head as a bait. Five minute later, something grab my bait and it was dog shark... and again and again and again... five dog shark in a raw?!. Really annoying but they really give a good fight. With just dog shark taking my bait, i just wanted to go home but when i about to pack my thing suddenly seeeesss...seeeesssssssssssssssss... my reel running very fast. Grab my rod and let it run for awhile but when i realised my line getting short i try to give it a fight. Really heavy. My mind start debating "is this ray?" but it running very fast. It probably a mulloway too. After fighting for maybe 3 or 4 minute, my 10kg line snapped and the fish escape :( . Lesson for me (use much bigger line).Upset but satisfying at the same time as this is the first time i fight fish that heavy. Even if i managed to land the fish, thinking of how i get there i will have to release it :P . So that it for me today. I didn't catch any fish but surely I'll be back :cheer:[/quote']Good onya mate, atleast you got the heart pumping with anticipation of what it could be. Port Jacksons are an issue off the break water have been for years. My knees no longer let me attempt the journey out there but i used to walk them over the other side and let them go as i was certain i was catching the same ones time after time or atleast i thought i was.

I stickied this so it's nice and easy for everyone to find! Great thread.Here's my 2c - I stepped out behind the St Kilda shop earlier and threw some soft plastics around on my Abu Garcia Black Max combo for zero results! :( Too many boats around today for there to be much around the shop end of the channel.

With the weather looking good today' date=' i went to Outer Harbour about 8am with nothing really particular in mind what to fish. My plan was fishing down the end of the breakwall but i only got half way as my leg were hurting. Didn't waste my time, i setup my rod and start fishing with squid head as a bait. Five minute later, something grab my bait and it was dog shark... and again and again and again... five dog shark in a raw?!. Really annoying but they really give a good fight. With just dog shark taking my bait, i just wanted to go home but when i about to pack my thing suddenly seeeesss...seeeesssssssssssssssss... my reel running very fast. Grab my rod and let it run for awhile but when i realised my line getting short i try to give it a fight. Really heavy. My mind start debating "is this ray?" but it running very fast. It probably a mulloway too. After fighting for maybe 3 or 4 minute, my 10kg line snapped and the fish escape :( . Lesson for me (use much bigger line).Upset but satisfying at the same time as this is the first time i fight fish that heavy. Even if i managed to land the fish, thinking of how i get there i will have to release it :P . So that it for me today. I didn't catch any fish but surely I'll be back :cheer:[/quote']Bloody Legend MILMO mate! I was debating a hoon through outer harbor, but heard it was a bit rough once outside the walls :ohmy:Wonder how the snapper crews did out the shipping channel this a.m. :huh:
With the weather looking good today' date=' i went to Outer Harbour about 8am with nothing really particular in mind what to fish. My plan was fishing down the end of the breakwall but i only got half way as my leg were hurting. Didn't waste my time' date=' i setup my rod and start fishing with squid head as a bait. Five minute later, something grab my bait and it was dog shark... and again and again and again... five dog shark in a row?!. Really annoying but they really give a good fight. With just dog shark taking my bait, i just wanted to go home but when i about to pack my thing suddenly seeeesss...seeeesssssssssssssssss... my reel running very fast. Grab my rod and let it run for awhile but when i realised my line getting short i try to give it a fight. Really heavy. My mind start debating "is this ray?" but it running very fast. It probably a mulloway too. After fighting for maybe 3 or 4 minute, my 10kg line snapped and the fish escape :( . Lesson for me (use much bigger line).Upset but satisfying at the same time as this is the first time i fight fish that heavy. Even if i managed to land the fish, thinking of how i get there i will have to release it :P . So that it for me today. I didn't bring home any fish but surely I'll be back :cheer:[/quote'']Bloody Legend MILMO mate! I was debating a hoon through outer harbor, but heard it was a bit rough once outside the walls :ohmy:Wonder how the snapper crews did out the shipping channel this a.m. :huh:
Saw a few boats there but they didn't stay long. One of the boat approached by the marine safety.

Yeah, I know that it's my fault but the fire extinguisher would've been one of the last things I'd check. Not anymore though!!!I could understand if my boat was in disrepair and I was blatantly flouting the safety laws or if I was impolite to the tosser. And the fish had just come on the chew when he turned up, ruined a perfect morning.Still, looking at it from a 'glass half full' perspective I did get a lovely Salmon Trout of about 28cm, so if the troutie weighed 200 grams, with the fine, fuel, etc it's probably worth about $1000 bucks a kilo...Speaking of their Xmas bbq, I wonder if they wanna buy a couple of salmon trout fillets??

Launched at NH ramp with Rickster this morning well before the sparrows even thought of farting, and headed out for the OH channel edge, where wqw joined some 50 other boats jockeying for a spot on the channel edge.Soon after anchoring a blast from a cargo ships horn suggested someone had anchored in the channel yet again, and we could also see a nearby boat that was inside the channels edge by an easy 50 -75 meters :blink: No Red fish for us there apart from a pretty athletic Dogshark, and didnt see any taken so we moved to the JR area.Another Donut hapened there, but on the way back in we spotted some good looking bottom and anchored/burleyed up.Rickster scored a nice Gummy shark, and for me it was a massive Fiddler/Banjo :whistle:

Cheers AFF, was wondering how you did today. Shame about the reds, but sounds like fun anyway mate! Hey, make sure you say gday to rick for me next time you see him... Reckon we really miss him on the boards... That dude is full of adventures and I still quote him as the only one to give me advice that made a difference when I was trying to catch my first legal mully ;)

Cheers AFF' date=' was wondering how you did today. Shame about the reds, but sounds like fun anyway mate! [/quote']Yep wasnt too bad Jack, apart from that :c Dog-shark wasting valuable :fishing: time , and one or two braid/mono issues :c :c Didnt see my mate Noah out at the JR this time, which was a pity. He's such a friendly :sh too :evil: :lol:

Headed down to Salt Creek with Tassie and his Missus Saturday morning, the weather wasn't to bad... 1 undersized mully was caught by Tassie and he deserved it as he put a lot of effort in over the afternoon/night. Always good to get out of Adelaide and go camping but driving all the way for nothing pretty much.. should just take the boat out local.. or go 4x4ing instead! :lol:

Keep it short' date=' was lucky enough to get a lift in Rotares deep south red dog express. As it has been of late, bag of bigs within the first few hrs and the rest of the day looking for the lil ones. Not much by-catch , but a great day regardless :clap::clap:[/quote']What, no story? I thought there would have be plenty of "story worthy" moments in that trip! B)

Does this count as a report :huh: :pinch: Headed up the Goannas way late yesterday arvo after a quick Hello to UG4 at the ramp, and seeing rtwo nice Reds being cleaned there :clap: Went to spot X and had lots of small bites but nothing exciting, so headed out to one of The Culverst where a nearby boat landed one good fish. while I only managed two u/sized Reds before deciding to leave.As I cruised past another nearby boat the fish came on the bite for them, and they were nice enough to let me anchor nearby, tho wind/current made it a bit tricky.After drifting too close twice, I decided not to make their life hard, and left for Goanna Rock.Again, a few small bites, before I missed two good fish on floating baits.Both times I was at the front of the boat and heard the braid coming off the spool and grabbed the rod to find a good fish, with three or four god headshakes then nothing :S I put this down to having used circles instead of bait-holders or J hooks DOH ! :blush: Anyway, I hope that wasnt too long for a "short" report ;)

Does this count as a report :huh: :pinch: Headed up the Goannas way late yesterday arvo after a quick Hello to UG4 at the ramp' date=' and seeing rtwo nice Reds being cleaned there :clap: Went to spot X and had lots of small bites but nothing exciting, so headed out to one of The Culverst where a nearby boat landed one good fish. while I only managed two u/sized Reds before deciding to leave.As I cruised past another nearby boat the fish came on the bite for them, and they were nice enough to let me anchor nearby, tho wind/current made it a bit tricky.After drifting too close twice, I decided not to make their life hard, and left for Goanna Rock.Again, a few small bites, before I missed two good fish on floating baits.Both times I was at the front of the boat and heard the braid coming off the spool and grabbed the rod to find a good fish, with three or four god headshakes then nothing :S I put this down to having used circles instead of bait-holders or J hooks DOH ! :blush: Anyway, I hope that wasnt too long for a "short" report ;)[/quote']Sounds like ever one is cleaning good fish but you lol smiley face spew excited lmao Bad luck :(;) :ohmy: :huh::blink: :woohoo: :whistle: :whistle: :pinch: :vomit: :vomit: :clap:

Just noticed my typo saying I had three or four god headshakes :lol:

I missed two good fish on floating baits.Both times I was at the front of the boat and heard the braid coming off the spool and grabbed the rod to find a good fish' date=' with three or four god headshakes then nothing :S ;) :ohmy: :huh::blink: :woohoo: :whistle: :whistle: :pinch: :vomit: :vomit: :clap:[/quote']Seems that way Chief !was out with Rickster early sunday for not much apart from a Gummy, and Ive only gone backwards since ! Got out last night as per report, and think Id be pushing my luck if I went again before the 1st :pinch: The Irony of it all is my first ever Snapp went over 13 Kilos, so its almost been backwards ever since :whistle: :d/

Hit up a local beach today chasing YFW on the low tide.nice long walk around trying to find a nice gutter, bit of weed all good.Threw around a popper for about 15 mins, no hits.Changed popper, 4 casts later and IM ON! The rods bent at almost 90 degrees and lines peeling off the little sienna 1000. fighting this fish for a good couple of minutes on light gear, look down and its a 50+cm flatty! I'm licking my lips and the thought of flatty for dinner and reach down to grab him let a little too much slack in the line and a quick shake and kick and I watch him swim away :(Not deterred I keep casting the popper around the sand/ weed area running along the edge of the gutter. And bam another bite! Not as much fight in this one and hes quickly at my knees. Another quick wiggle and it too spits the trebles!Starting to get abit annoyed with this I change to bait, pile of shitties later I give back up on bait. Tides now coming back in and I can see the surface splashes about 10ms down. Cast a few meters bethind and swim the popper through, not a touch. try a few more times to whatever it was not liking the popper. Turn around and cast back at the gutter, nice big whiting follows the popper and takes a bite at it. I'm on again, 3rd time have to be lucky right? No, fish is just hooked below the eye and also wiggles free of the treble.No fish worth eating later I decide to walk back to the car. Need to work out why the trebles are so horrid at staying hooked in