THE QUICK TRIP REPORT THREAD... (post away)

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Managed to knock up a feed today with moggy &hsv Hsv hooked a gar which then got swallowed by a bronzie which then in a calamity of errors was lost boat side due to a recently purchased ego 2 slid

Drove past the water yesterday whilst at work and thought golly, looks good so as soon as i got home hooked the boat up, sorted the rods and the missus and away we went. Launched and went maybe 1km fr

had a great weekend throwing lures at mullys saturday morning i got this fella at the onkAnd heres one of the many on plastics today down the coorong

Posted Images

definitely been hanging to get out there for a crack, but to be honest ale... I think an 8kg snapper fought harder than this 16kg tuna. sure it was heavy to bring up, but there was just no fight in it at all.... a bit disappointing. it swam with the boat once hooked and just kinda gave up in the end. surely they're not all like that...

Yeah some go way harder than others. Not sure what size gear you are using but the first time we chased them the tackle we were using was probably more suited to 30-40kg fish, so it wasn't overly hard to have a 16kg fish in the boat within 1-2 minutes - lol. Hook a 16kg fish on some lighter tackle (like you would normally use for snapper fishing) and I reckon you will find they will give your arms a work out. I hooked a 16kg tuna on tackle as described above and it took me 20 minutes to get it in. Everytime I'd get it within 3-4m of the boat it would take off on another blistering run. Got ragged heaps by the guys on board for taking so long to get it on board, but it sure was a lot harder to get that one on board than most of the others.Only downside running light tackle is if you do hook a 20+kg tuna(a fish of dreams)then you're going to have a battle to get it on board IMO..... well, at least I would with my fishing skills!

Yeah the gear was majorly overkill, was using a saltiga combo, pretty sure the reel was a 6500 (30kg drag...) and the drag was set pretty tight. Fish was boatside in about 2 minutes flat.But I spose that's what you want when you haven't got your bag yet, just get them in as quick as possible so you can get onto the next. Once you've got your bag then the fun can begin. Not very often you can bring tuna home.btw.Fish was hooked on a rapala clackin' magnum in mackerel colour.The smaller fish was hooked on a black and blue skirt.

Went over to Yorkes for a few days with a mate. Tuesday we were raking for crabs at Ardrossan and managed 40 between us. Nice sized ones with plenty of meat. Stayed at the High View caravan park and was very impressed with their crab cooking facilities! Wednesday we dropped the boat in at Port Vincent and managed 10 KG's and 9 squid in a few hours. Unfortunately Thursday it blew so we went to the pub although in the morning a school of salmon came past the Vincent foreshore caravan park with saw guys bagging out off the spit. Came home with a feed which is always good!

Yeah the gear was majorly overkill' date=' was using a saltiga combo, pretty sure the reel was a 6500 (30kg drag...) and the drag was set pretty tight. Fish was boatside in about 2 minutes flat.But I spose that's what you want when you haven't got your bag yet, just get them in as quick as possible so you can get onto the next. Once you've got your bag then the fun can begin. Not very often you can bring tuna home.btw.Fish was hooked on a rapala clackin' magnum in mackerel colour.The smaller fish was hooked on a black and blue skirt.[/quote']Congrats mate, half the time the hard part of catching fish like Tuna is getting the time off work on a day that is fishable. I know it took you ages to get in on the action and finally get out there, so well deserved mate. THAT IS A FAIR TUNA in anyones books so well done. :d/:d/:d/ Let me know how it tastes?

Went down to the Onk yesterday trolling lures for bream and maybe a mully. Had my first legal bream on a HB within ten minutes but after that it shut down. No hits for three hours, probably coincided with the extremely low tide. It was the lowest I've ever seen, the river was barely 10m wide in some parts.

Drove past the water yesterday whilst at work and thought golly, looks good so as soon as i got home hooked the boat up, sorted the rods and the missus and away we went. Launched and went maybe 1km from the Whyalla ramp straight out. Set up three drifts over promising looking bottom and ended up with 6 squid. Then decided to drop the anchor to try for Tommies as i had heard there were some around. Threw out a bottle of tuna oil and set a burley bucket as well. We could see fish jumping in the slick for about 50m behind the boat. Sent out the floats and we ended up with 22 lovely tommies and 2 garfish.As we were packing up we dropped a jag in the water and managed another squid. was a pretty good session, as the last minute unplanned ones often seem to be. Everything we caught has ended up in the freezer ready to use as bait in the Snapper comp. Another couple of sessions like this and i'm set i reckon. All I need then is a good Snapper drop then lol :)006.JPGSorry about the quality of the photo, we got back just after dark and the outside light is pretty poor

After a few days sitting at home with cold and flu, i finally got out today. With still not 100% of my normal strength, i went to Outer Harbour about 11am for a quick fish. A week without fishing feels like a month so i forced myself to get into action. After about an hour fishing, i was served with two rays and managed to land one. The first one got busted. First time ever, i won the fight with a ray. Cut the line and let it swim. After the fight, i was really exhausted and decided to go home. Manage to catch three blueys so the trip not really stuff all :cheer: .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggoUMITPXRE

Still struggling. After a 1 month break from the yellowfin' date=' I tried again the other day and only got 3. Good size upto 36cm but they are just not around. Don't think I will bother anymore.[/quote']Shut the site down. Apparently Kelvin cant catch fish.We better all leave now! Hahah still 3 to 36 is better than some have been doing! TT

Thanks for the reply Kelvin sounds like it has been really hard to find good numbers of yellowfin this summer :( Hope next session things will improve. I haven't put a lot of time in this year targeting yellowfin due to the lack of sand worms at the location that myself and my Dad had always found a reliable source in past years:(. I have been giving surface lures ago of late but haven't had any luck with yellowfin only lots of ST's.vxman

Hi all,Finally got out in the boat today, launched from st kilda ended up with about 2 dozen good size tommies, 10 crabs and a couple of whiting. The crabs still seem hard to find. there seems to be a lot of salmon trout around is this normal? had a school of them come to the back of the boat all just undersize. Was a nice to get back out there and have some me time.Cheers Fisho

finaly got the tinny out today and couldnt of been a better day for it. but fishing wise i didnt have alot of luck, i droped 3 squid and dropd a big cuttlefish but droped the jag back down and he took it again. was hoping for a good half bag of gar but they came when i first started the burley then didnt see them for the rest of the day...also did abit of trolling tryin to see if i could get some fresh snook for shark bait but didnt see any either. and to top things off i started cruising off from 1 spot with the anchor still down :pinch: :pinch: 20130216_134213.jpg

headed down to the Coorong with Jimbo today in SS Banga... ill make it short cause there will be video and a report but we ended up with 14 between us. biggest was 46cm by me :P but was good fun and good for our first time fishing there....good fun on 1000 size reels and 3lb leader ;)

last night barbz and me went down south in the search of mulloway.. neva quite fished like that before, used soft plastics all night. there were 4 of us fishing the spot and would of have to been over 45 fish caught and released and two taken for the plate. i mearsured 1 and hit 48cm then my next fish was better id say around 55cm was my best. we were hoping for the bigger ones to move in but no love. good fun they pull hard for fish that size.20130217_031448.jpg

Dragged myself out of bed for an early start heading out from North Haven chasing the red fish and managed to find them fairly easily for a change. Pulled one at around a 3kg fish and a couple of pannies form the first spot, then moved and got 3 big ones and a few more pannies.We were back in by 10 and the weather was nice so made for a good morning session. Made up for the last couple of trips of nothing much going on.

Snapper1.jpg