Any information for land based fishing SA.

Hey fellas, New to this site found a whole load of awesome info but i was wondering if anyone knows of any land based fishing locations around adelaide.. Been to Garden Island "Jetty", Wheet silo's and a few warfs around the same area. Tryed lures no luck. Cockles/prawns/white bait with no luck... To be honest i have not caught a fish in at least a year to a year and a half... What am i doing wrong? or is it the location. (Its land based since i get seasick lol) Thanks for any info :)

Garden Island has bream. When I was there, I fished with prawns just before and after high tide. I fished where a little creek came out of the mangroves and cast right into the middle. Try and go as light as possible, lightest sinker.The port is also a great place. Any structure e.g. pillions, bridges. Same principle as Garden Island jetty. You would be likely to pick up so bream using this technique. Know doubt some of the other guys on here would have better tips. As it comes into summer, the species will start coming as well. Read peoples reports and they will no doubt say something about how they caught it, where they caught it, on what gear, bait, lure and all so just keep your eyes on this space. Good luck

Try going down to the local jetty and put out a squid jag and have another line out with some bait.It doubles your chances.Talk to the locals on the jetty and they will be able to advise you.Try and find older gentlemen with knowledge.Hope the info helps.

Thanks mate. Appreciate it. Will diffidently try to get down to a local jetty (dont really do beach jettys no idea why) should give it a shot. Thanks.

Thanks for the tip mosler.. Will go back to Garden island jetty tomorrow hopefully and give it a shot.. I usually use medium weight sinker and med hook with some cockle etc but no lock.. Light tackle i will try.. Thanks heaps for the response appreciate it. Will post back if i get anything! :)

I got my rig from from a tackle store in Port Adelaide. Just across from Hungry Jacks on Port road. Used their rigs which are designed for bream and salmon trout. Comes with a tiny sinker which goes on your main line. Then tie it onto the swivel and has 2 hooks. One is just sliding up and down the line, the other one is actually tied to the line. Put your prawn on and then do a half hitch around the tail of prawn. I generally use a whole prawn as well.

I got my rig from from a tackle store in Port Adelaide. Just across from Hungry Jacks on Port road. Used their rigs which are designed for bream and salmon trout. Comes with a tiny sinker which goes on your main line. Then tie it onto the swivel and has 2 hooks. One is just sliding up and down the line, the other one is actually tied to the line. Put your prawn on and then do a half hitch around the tail of prawn. I generally use a whole prawn as well.

Wow.. Thanks heaps for this information!!! I will defiantly go purchase a bream rig.. Completely forgot tackle shops sell rigs haha.. thank you for the info on the prawn setup also. Much appreciated :)

I use a single #6 or #10 baitholder or suicide hook when I fish Garden Island for small stuff (Bream, Trouties, Mullet, Whiting etc)Fish the slow water around the top of the tide towards the mangroves from the board walk unweighted and you should get some interest (although its getting towards the time of the year when the Port starts to get over run with trumpeters :( )

I use a single #6 or #10 baitholder or suicide hook when I fish Garden Island for small stuff (Bream' date=' Trouties, Mullet, Whiting etc)Fish the slow water around the top of the tide towards the mangroves from the board walk unweighted and you should get some interest (although its getting towards the time of the year when the Port starts to get over run with trumpeters :( )[/quote']Thanks for those tips mate. Greatly Appreciate it. Thank you.

Try the 'hot water' outlet area in front of the power station. On the low tide you can see where it drops off into deeper water. Try blood/tube worms, prawns and the small crabs that you can find in that area. Use the lightest sinker you can get away with dependant on current.

Try the 'hot water' outlet area in front of the power station. On the low tide you can see where it drops off into deeper water. Try blood/tube worms' date=' prawns and the small crabs that you can find in that area. Use the lightest sinker you can get away with dependant on current.[/quote']Yeah on the way to garden island i see that place and i think... Hmm should i try it.. but i never do. Thanks for tip buddy :) Will diffidently give it a shot. This website has so many nice people and they help and i appreciate it. Thank you kindly :)

One of my biggest tips is to buy and use a berley pot. When you think about it no matter where you fish landbased, most of the fish are either spread out due to numerous bait along the jetty or they are just spread over a wide area.If you use a burley pot just with Aniseed burley you are dramatically increasing your chance of catching tommies, gar in summer but in winter it increases your chances of catching salmon trout as wellAs others have said you need to make sure your hook is the right size to hook whats in your burley trail. Learn to understand what depths fish swim at and feed at. Gar and tommies are surface feeders and subsequently normally caught on the top, whilst Bream, salmon and whiting you can catch on the bottom.Here are some baits that I would use for different species. This is just a guide as there are many other baits that would work but these would be my pickBream - Prawn, pilchard peices and tube wormWhiting - Live tube worms, cockle & squidsalmon trout - cockle, white bait and pilchard peicesSnapper - Pilchard, Tommy and squidHope this helps.

One of my biggest tips is to buy and use a berley pot. When you think about it no matter where you fish landbased' date=' most of the fish are either spread out due to numerous bait along the jetty or they are just spread over a wide area.If you use a burley pot just with Aniseed burley you are dramatically increasing your chance of catching tommies, gar in summer but in winter it increases your chances of catching salmon trout as wellAs others have said you need to make sure your hook is the right size to hook whats in your burley trail. Learn to understand what depths fish swim at and feed at. Gar and tommies are surface feeders and subsequently normally caught on the top, whilst Bream, salmon and whiting you can catch on the bottom.Here are some baits that I would use for different species. This is just a guide as there are many other baits that would work but these would be my pickBream - Prawn, pilchard peices and tube wormWhiting - Live tube worms, cockle & squidsalmon trout - cockle, white bait and pilchard peicesSnapper - Pilchard, Tommy and squidHope this helps.[/quote']Wow... Mate thanks a bunch! Loads of info there... I got a berley pot but always forget it! Wont forget it this time :P.. Thanks for the Bait types and tips mate really appreciate it. Thanks :)

G,day AUSANDREW personally i never go anywhere fishing without taking my mincemeat and semolina mix, when all else fails i slip a bit on and always get a bite, pretty well anything will have a go at it. 1.lb minced roo or beef 2 handfulls of semolina 1/2 teaspoon curry powder[clive of india] appears to be the best, mix it all together and thread it onto a #10 or 12 hook then roll it around in your fingers to make a little ball. my preferance is paternoska rig with three hooks, sinker at the bottom, hooks above,i find that a short line from the hook to the main line works best for me, about 5 inches max, any longer you may not feel them sucking off the bait unless they are realy on the bite. Cheers mate and good fishing. KHOMBI :fishing::clap:

G' date='day AUSANDREW personally i never go anywhere fishing without taking my mincemeat and semolina mix, when all else fails i slip a bit on and always get a bite, pretty well anything will have a go at it. 1.lb minced roo or beef 2 handfulls of semolina 1/2 teaspoon curry powder[clive of india'] appears to be the best, mix it all together and thread it onto a #10 or 12 hook then roll it around in your fingers to make a little ball. my preferance is paternoska rig with three hooks, sinker at the bottom, hooks above,i find that a short line from the hook to the main line works best for me, about 5 inches max, any longer you may not feel them sucking off the bait unless they are realy on the bite. Cheers mate and good fishing. KHOMBI :fishing::clap:

This sounds good... But im pretty sure using meat from land is prohibited. Will look into this defiantly but not to sure if i wanna go breaking the law :)

G' date='day AUSANDREW personally i never go anywhere fishing without taking my mincemeat and semolina mix, when all else fails i slip a bit on and always get a bite, pretty well anything will have a go at it. 1.lb minced roo or beef 2 handfulls of semolina 1/2 teaspoon curry powder[clive of india'] appears to be the best, mix it all together and thread it onto a #10 or 12 hook then roll it around in your fingers to make a little ball. my preferance is paternoska rig with three hooks, sinker at the bottom, hooks above,i find that a short line from the hook to the main line works best for me, about 5 inches max, any longer you may not feel them sucking off the bait unless they are realy on the bite. Cheers mate and good fishing. KHOMBI :fishing::clap:

This sounds good... But im pretty sure using meat from land is prohibited. Will look into this defiantly but not to sure if i wanna go breaking the law :)
You are permitted to use mince for catching mullet, your just not allowed to use offal to burley in sharks, and strangely we know all about sharks here on S&H LOL thanks to the new shark laws.

the mince has to be UNCOOKED :ohmy: YOU WORRIED ME WHEN YOU SAID LEFT OVERS :whistle: good dark red mince is best and you could also try a little red food colouring in your mix for a darker colour, dunno bout redbull though, i can almost see it now 100kg bloke being towed out to see by a 6in mullet :clap::clap::clap:

Did you catch anything?

I caught two Shitty Fish on Friday... Most of my bait got stolen by some bream i believe... Went to garden island was loads of fun... Then after i got low and i bait i switched spots and went to a warf.. Got some killa Bites but missed em and lost all my bait lol.. I changed hook when i got home and the rig so i cant wait to get back out and give it another shot! :)
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay Guys went fishing today!!!! (Got Some Goooood News) I Purchased some Mono Line. 6lb. re did my hole spool and did a nice bream/whiting rig and i caught 8.. Yeah Eight Tommy's And My Father Caught 2 Tommys and a FLATHEAD!! I was so shocked! Never seen a flathead before was absolutely the best fishing day i have ever had.. Spending time with my dad was great.. Catching fish was a bonus!!! Here is a pic of the Flatty.. Was too small to keep but was very excited to see it. :)

IMG007.jpg

Yeah thanks guys :) Also forgot to mention... My dad had a pilchard on his huge rod... left if it for about a hour SOMETHING GRABBED IT ran like :c almost spooled him completely.. Gained some line then it went under a snag and lost it.. no idea what it was. Guess maybe a shark since the huge headshakes he experienced or maybe something else not sure :). was a awesome experience to see.Even was pulling line at full drag lmao