Squid Line type

I've been using Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon and it seems to work pretty well so can't hurt. This being said Shanomac cleaned up yesterday using red mono and showed me another line he used which was thick as cable (mono) haha He's a bit of a squid guru though I think.Might depend how picky they are in a certain area as Grazz suggested and how hungry.

I think I've fished land based for squid more than anything else in my life. Never used fluoro. Always been fine with 20lb mono, a cheap, throwaway Neptune jag and a loop tied straight to the end of the line. Sometimes a float.That being said, there's no reason that fluoro wouldn't increase your chances if the squid were feeling picky that day. As Gazza said, anything which gives you an advantage is probably worth the effort but for straight up jetty squidding, heavy mono is no problem.

I use Spiderwire Code Red braid for squid land based and have tried using FC leaders. IMO it makes no difference but then it might also have something to do with the red braid as red is one of the first colours to disappear underwater.In the boat I use a yellow braid and agian no FC leader. Catch plenty.....

IMO I think Squidding and Fluoro go hand in hand!I find it a must for any Squidding. Especially shallow - mid water depths landbased. Which is the fishing I do!It 'technically' may have no positive results but what I think it does is allow me to fish with confidence and thats important!With Light Braids, Light Fluoro Leaders and Quality Japanese Jigs I feel like I am a good chance of catching Squid.Just my two cents TT

I've caught alot of squid recently and found the Fluro leader actually made no difference. Had 2 cheap jigs over the side, one had a fluro leader still attached and the other just straight to green fireline. Both got even amounts of squid. The big difference I found was the changing of colours from a green cheap jag to the yozuri jag I get 90% of my squid with and then the green on fluro leader didnt get a touch.I find with minimal movement the cheap japs are just as good as the expensive, but when casting and retreiving the more expensive jags seem to get more attention

i been using my Snapper rod for squid lately, 30lb braid with a rods length of 50lb mono leader with a crane swivel tied to the end. i do most of my squidding on a boat drifting around and havent had any dramas with them not taking it. i spose that FC might help landbased when combined with a quality jag. i like the berkley vanish as well, i have that in line up to 20lb, ne4ver had a drama with it. i think that its not as important in squidding as it is when chasing timid bream or whatever, if a squid is around and hungry he will eat ur jag for sure

I use Berkley Vanish as well, and find that it helps.Not sure about 9/10 squid you see wont touch a jag AFF - I find maybe only 1/10 won't touch them... Had a session off Brighton almost 2 years ago and we caught a boat limit and the last 30 were sitting in a big school on the bottom - we only saw them cause we drove over them and they were all angry buggers!! Not sure how big the school was but we stopped fishing once we got our 45 and didn't look like the school had got any smaller!

I feel like people love to read too far into squiddingthey're bloody stupid things :whistle: Last summer I caught half a dozen on a whole slimey, on 2 12/0's under a balloon with 150lb wire trace! So much for how to work a squid jag :huh: Let along type of line used :lol: Use mono or Fluoro with a decent jag off the rocks and you'll do ok