Where do you buy your gear from?

I have one core tackle store. That is Tackle&Tucker. They have outlets at nth haven and st Kilda.If I really need something like to order my TwinPower Spool, they are the go to people.Apart from that, I have moved around a bit and spent some time in the bigger local stores like Home of the Fisherman (port rd), SpOrt fishing scene, and Got One on the main Nth road. The point I'd like to make is this. I am an absolute budget angler. So that means, if I buy something it needs to be low cost, but must be quality and appropriate. So going into a tackle store you can say, I want a bit of kit to do THIS. And the lowest cost. No bullshit from the local stores and if something fails, you take it back. Visiting the local stores you soon get to know who is comfortable to deal with, and these are valuable connections. A bit of banter doesn't hurt either.BCF is okay for some boat bits, but their gear ain't that cheap, just a lot of it.

I used to love going into SFS for my terminal and Dorsal’s for my bait. Was a no brainer whilst I worked north., SFS is hands down the best in Adelaide. I haven’t been to Dorsals since change of ownership tho. Since changing jobs tho, and working close to home I’m a bit of a whore. If I need something and lunch time is the only time to get it, Seaton compleat angler gets my cash. Not very friendly a times and the only person in history that would rather watch day time TV than chat with a fellow fisho whilst behind the counter.If in the mood for a browse, BCF Richmond. Ive have had some really good service from the tall young lad there, knows his shit. I often shop there when I know what I want and it’s in there specials catalogue.( Anaconda is much the same, minus the service)Bait/burley has come from all of the above but Bite well on Anzacs or Got one at St mary’s also get my cash here.The guy at bite well is good for a chat , shop is super messy and tiny tho!! All of the above is for general terminal and bait. Most of my braid will come from ebay, as will most of my big ticket items such as a reel. Locals just cant compete, ( alltho tackworld Adelaide did on my last reel purchase) and with savings of 20-30% to be had, I rather wait an extra week and have it sent to my house. Rods not so much, I like to “feel” before I buy”. SFS, BCF have helped me here.With the rude and average service I’ve received the few times I’ve been at Ray and Annes I will never spend a cent there again!! Maybe Im not “professional enough”, but the guys behind the counter are arrogant, unhelpfull and just generally look down on me. Maybe cos fishing isn’t my life, just a part of it.

With the rude and average service I’ve received the few times I’ve been at Ray and Annes I will never spend a cent there again!! Maybe Im not “professional enough”' date=' but the guys behind the counter are arrogant, unhelpfull and just generally look down on me. Maybe cos fishing isn’t my life, just a part of it.[/quote']Ditto.........but I thought that I was the "only one" that had experienced this......I put it down to a "bad hair day",but it seems not to be the case :unsure:
With the rude and average service I’ve received the few times I’ve been at Ray and Annes I will never spend a cent there again!! Maybe Im not “professional enough”' date=' but the guys behind the counter are arrogant' date=' unhelpfull and just generally look down on me. Maybe cos fishing isn’t my life, just a part of it.[/quote'']Ditto.........but I thought that I was the "only one" that had experienced this......I put it down to a "bad hair day",but it seems not to be the case :unsure:
I like sending my mrs into tackle stores and see how they treat her.Unlike me she is modest about her fishing prowess and probably a better angler too! Not your average chick fisho, she has gone over 40 on Bream, over a meter on mullies and over 20lb on plenty of snapper (one while 6months preggas way out at the steamer channel). So, you can imagine how insulted she feels by arrogance & poor treatment in a tackle store :laugh: I've been lucky enough to have forum member Shauno assist me in Ray & Anne's and was good service . Apart from that, Sport Fishing Scene is my mrs favourite for service.... They were awesome first time she was in there shopping fir rod and reel.... They have had many sales from us JUST because of how well they treated her that first purchase.Good service goes a long way... Shame to hear the opposite can be the case though.

Tackleworld Salisbury. Dave, Dan and Kym are always helpful. Dave has given me so much advice which has resulted in fish! Also, as a gun owner, I use them for that too! R&A are very rude. If I'm down south, I'll go see Scotty at Anglers Choice. If I'm on Yorkes, Compleat at Wallaroo. If I'm in heaven (Eyre Peninsula), its spot on in Lincoln. Honestly, I can't speak highly enuff of Tackleworld Salisbury

Personally 99% of the Gear I buy now if from Fishing Wholesalers at Lonsdale.Bought from them when they started and have now ever since.Have really got some good gear in now and cheap prices!Especially good now that Mark (Waterboy) works there. Always been a southern guru and someone I happily put my trust into if ever need any help! He is a top bloke like all in store!Cheers TT

I get all my gear online from various places due to it being easier as im in a wheelchair, but when im up yorkes or lincoln I always support the local tackle stores..my wallet pays for it though lol, but as others have said its worth it as their more than welcome to help get you onto some fish! sometimes if I need something in a hurry I'll bug mum to go see the guys at tackle world salisbury lol :laugh:

BCF at Noarlunga can suck my left testicle . They dont know s@#$ all about fishing or what they sell and there discount card only gives you discount on what they want you to have discount on which really makes it pointless having a card in the first place . To marketed if you ask me and not that well priced . Anglers choice and fishing wholesalers are pretty good in my opinion . All ways have a good laugh and they always discount on everything with there discount card .

Being southern I've bought a combo from BCF when I started out, was ok, at the time I should have just gone to Angler's Choice. I haven't bought all that much gear lately but when I do I drop in to see Mark at Fishing Wholesalers and have a chat if they're closed and I'm desperate for bait I'll head to Angler's on the way to a local fishing spot.I bought a recommended rod from Ray and Anne's last year I think it was, great rod (Gary Howard Viper). I called about it first they didn't know anything about this rod, I had to call someone back, they were never there, eventually after many phone calls and being told that there was only 1 in stock and that they'd hold it for me for half a day I went to pick it up and found about 4 on the racks without one being held for me :huh::laugh: Nice one!Won't be going back there in a hurry.

self-promotion2.jpgWell, when I spend money its ALWAYS at Tackle & Tucker North Haven because they're the best of the best!! :P lol, but seriously, I've spent money in most of the shops northside as even though I work in a tackle store, I still like to go for a wander and browse and I'm a bit of an impulse buyer. I definitely fall victim to the 'catches the fisherman more than the fish' adage. :pThe only places I refuse to spend my money are Big W or any of those larger chain stores. They are simply killing all us small shops by making it impossible to compete price-wise.

Mainly compleat angular Moonta as I know Sharon and the crew but sporties at Cav look after me and both the tackle and Tucker's with Robyn an cookie at saints and ugly Nick down at tha haven always competitive on terminal tackle and bait with cookies burley being a fav I'm with jimbo James BCF are tha housen of shizen i think it stands for bullshit-crap-fisherman Cheers 4THA

The only places I refuse to spend my money are Big W or any of those larger chain stores. They are simply killing all us small shops by making it impossible to compete price-wise.
Can understand/respect that but point of view, but for things like gulp's I can't go past bigW $8 a pack, and my local tackle store $13 a pack :S the markups at the local are just tooo high even on low end products. I'm all for supporting local stores and spend plenty a week there but only on selected items that I sometimes have to barter down to RRP to save being ripped off :)

I support my local tackle shop. Peter Whiting from Brighton Tackle for rods reels (bait if desperate and my own collected stocks are low) tackle etc. get to know the guys, spend time talking and listening and they will give good advice. I bought a Lowrance Elite 5 GPS/Sounder from BCF and have found the guys knowlegable and happy to give advice. Whitwo.rths for boat gear

I haven't been to the Dorsal Fin for ages since they changed the road. It as the go to store for bait as I used to live at Modbury so a launch from OH, St Kilda or Yorkes took me straight past it.SFS is a pain as above because of the road. But I do re-stock with bait and tackle on the way back now. Impossible to chuck a Uie.I get a lot of stuff online but from OZ not OS. Ray and Annes online orders have been quick and been happy. I find it annoying waiting to get served whilst time wasters drone on about crap. I do not know why the dudes behind the counter can't say "excuse me but I'll just serve this customer before his bait goes off and get back to you."I like the blonde lady at BCF Richmond though. Grrrrrrr!(hope she isn't a forum members wife)

I find it annoying waiting to get served whilst time wasters drone on about crap. I do not know why the dudes behind the counter can't say "excuse me but I'll just serve this customer before his bait goes off and get back to you."

I totally agree with Knackers comment above ^But I still get around 70% of my gear from Ray and Anne's and some from Tackle World Port Rd only due to being close and rest online etc..

I buy from whoever down south will give me a good deal, even BCF ;) I will not however be returning to a certain store located at the beginning of victor harbor rd. There is a new owner there who was nothing short of rude and arragant with no intentions of helping me out, after telling my mates of this experience I don't think he will have there business either. Fair few lost bob there, here i was thinking you would want to get to know your customers and be helpful like all the other stores in the area are, anglers choice and fishing wholesalers.