Shark capture - Media beat up Reloaded

Saw that pic on the ALBS page aswellNice Bronzie!If the guy who caught it comes forward and says he caught it on mono with 5/0 hooks' date=' I'll believe him :fishing:[/quote']Taken from the FB page.Adelaide Land Based Sharkers - "Plastic coated 1000lb Mono and 5/0 jig hooks i believe"There ya go, nothing to see here folks move along.
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't really want to start a 'war' by posting either but I've gotta put my opinion on the table on this topic as well.I understand the community concerns that it can be perceived as dangerous but I'

negrukyThis is a grey area at the moment and, by inference, subject to enforcement discretion depending on whether they think you are full of BS or not.And it is exactly why Item #2 of Restriction Hou

This is where the politically driven decisions of PIRSA`s masters will come back to haunt them.A brilliant manifestation of political knee-jerk stupid rule outcomes generating, ahem, unintended conseq

Posted Images

Saw that pic on the ALBS page aswellNice Bronzie!If the guy who caught it comes forward and says he caught it on mono with 5/0 hooks' date=' I'll believe him :fishing:[/quote']Taken from the FB page.Adelaide Land Based Sharkers - "Plastic coated 1000lb Mono and 5/0 jig hooks i believe"There ya go' date=' nothing to see here folks move along.[/quote']Perhaps I'm missing something ( ie stupid,dumb,FUBAR etc)...........what is "plastic coated 1000lb mono"? :dry:

Sick o shark shit

That's the problem Chief, Shark shit and what it containsAccording to the media and selected SLSA clubs Shark Shit is made up of the rotting corpses of cute small children,Lifesavers and small white furry puppiesThese things are not what shark shit should be made of and the evil fishermen should be banned and punished for making it soSame as the reason there has been so many shark attacks in WA this year is because of all the chicken carcasses being used in crab nets in Adelaide metroCan't be too careful mate
Sick o shark shit
That's the problem Chief' date=' Shark shit and what it containsAccording to the media and selected SLSA clubs Shark Shit is made up of the rotting corpses of cute small children' date='Lifesavers and small white furry puppiesThese things are not what shark shit should be made of and the evil fishermen should be banned and punished for making it soSame as the reason there has been so many shark attacks in WA this year is because of all the chicken carcasses being used in crab nets in Adelaide metroCan't be too careful mate[/quote'']You forgot the de-sal plant,the bridge over the Torrens and the sand pipes on Glenelg jetty :laugh:

This is where the politically driven decisions of PIRSA`s masters will come back to haunt them.A brilliant manifestation of political knee-jerk stupid rule outcomes generating, ahem, unintended consequences...I`m standing by for a finessing of the rules down to prohibition during daylight hours of "wire trace or non-homogeneous monofilament line" etc.Followed by another workaround...followed by another loophole found... Gail et al - this is what happens when you bow to special-interest yuppie latte-set group-lobbying by people whose sensibilities are offended by someone daring to have a line in the water.If the terminal tackle actually used was as advised in the above posts - then, regardless of one`s personal opinions of the pastime, regardless of whether it was intentional or not, I must acknowledge that (arguably) a group of individuals have made a rather profound socio-political statement...

A brilliant manifestation of political knee-jerk stupid rule outcomes generating' date=' ahem, unintended consequences...I`m standing by for a finessing of the rules down to prohibition during daylight hours of "wire trace [b']or non-homogeneous monofilament line[/b]" etc.Followed by another workaround...followed by another loophole found...
That's a very valid point Kon, Make a stupid rule and everyone will work around it, Make a rule everyone understands the reasoning behind it and it will become second nature because it makes sense to the majority
If the terminal tackle actually used was as advised in the above posts - then' date=' regardless of one`s personal opinions of the pastime, regardless of whether it was intentional or not, I must acknowledge that (arguably) a group of individuals have made a rather profound socio-political statement...[/quote']Mate, I'm not sure what you are trying to say here but it sounds impressive and if I was in a management meeting the bullshit bingo card would be running hot :):laugh: :whistle: All good mate I've had a few tonight and not meaning to offend: Tight Lines, lol
A brilliant manifestation of political knee-jerk stupid rule outcomes generating' date=' ahem' date=' unintended consequences...I`m standing by for a finessing of the rules down to prohibition during daylight hours of "wire trace [b'']or non-homogeneous monofilament line[/b]" etc.Followed by another workaround...followed by another loophole found...
That's a very valid point Kon, Make a stupid rule and everyone will work around it, Make a rule everyone understands the reasoning behind it and it will become second nature because it makes sense to the majority
If the terminal tackle actually used was as advised in the above posts - then' date=' regardless of one`s personal opinions of the pastime, regardless of whether it was intentional or not, I must acknowledge that (arguably) a group of individuals have made a rather profound socio-political statement...[/quote']Mate, I'm not sure what you are trying to say here but it sounds impressive and if I was in a management meeting the bullshit bingo card would be running hot :):laugh: :whistle: All good mate I've had a few tonight and not meaning to offend: Tight Lines, lol
hahaha now that's funny right there.Translation- They stuck it 'em!
Sick o shark shit
That's the problem Chief' date=' Shark shit and what it containsAccording to the media and selected SLSA clubs Shark Shit is made up of the rotting corpses of cute small children' date='Lifesavers and small white furry puppiesThese things are not what shark shit should be made of and the evil fishermen should be banned and punished for making it soCan't be too careful mate[/quote'']Geez, along with Chief u hit the nail on the head there Purnong :clap::clap::clap: :whistle: As Chief suggested, no use playing into the medias hands, tho let's face it,they'll use any excuse to get a story. Unfortunateley there will always be someone somewhere doing what theye probably shouldnt be doing, which kind of reminds me of a Monty Python movie at times :P
negruky

...what happens if i hook one at 0459 and land it at 0700. Legal capture me thinks.

This is a grey area at the moment and, by inference, subject to enforcement discretion depending on whether they think you are full of BS or not.And it is exactly why Item #2 of Restriction Hours is in the MFA draft paper that RJ posted tonight on the Metro Sharking Restrictions thread;It is strongly advised that a definitive statement is included in any review of the current restrictions to the effect that fishers who are still in the process of angling a hooked shark at the 5:00am deadline will not be liable for an offence under the Fisheries Act if all other aspects of the capture are legal.Cutting 300 metres of line would probably not be the best environmental move, which only leaves one option.Jacintha and Mortimer walking their keeshonds along Grange beach at 6.30am on a Wednesday morning enroute to their local breakfast cafe will just have to cope with the affronting spectacle of someone...dear lord, oh my goodness... fishing... :dry:
negruky
...what happens if i hook one at 0459 and land it at 0700. Legal capture me thinks.
This is a grey area at the moment and' date=' by inference, subject to enforcement discretion depending on whether they think you are full of BS or not.[/quote']As long as they dont think the anglers full of Shark :c anyway :lol:
Jacintha and Mortimer walking their keeshonds along Grange beach at 6.30am on a Wednesday morning enroute to their local breakfast cafe will just have to cope with the affronting spectacle of someone...dear lord' date=' oh my goodness... fishing... :dry:[/quote']Oh my, This can't be allowed to happen, Won't somebody think of the children (And the latte's)

negruky

This is a grey area at the moment and' date=' by inference, subject to enforcement discretion depending on whether they think you are full of BS or not.And it is exactly why Item #2 of Restriction Hours is in the MFA draft paper that RJ posted tonight on the Metro Sharking Restrictions thread;It is strongly advised that a definitive statement is included in any review of the current restrictions to the effect that fishers who are still in the process of angling a hooked shark at the 5:00am deadline will not be liable for an offence under the Fisheries Act if all other aspects of the capture are legal.
To save everyone having to dig the paper out from the MFA threads, it's attached to this post.A bit of background.The MFA has been working on this paper for several months, and we've been asked to attend a meeting with PIRSA during the next week or so to discuss the whole issue. We've done all we can to include feedback from sharkers, and we're very keen to have any sharkers come along with us to meet with PIRSA in person.If you'd like to join in just let us know here (or via IM if you prefer) and we'll try to get together prior to the PIRSA meeting to make sure that we cover all the important points when we attend the meeting. We're not sharkers, but we're rec fishermen and we have a bit of experience in dealing with Govt departments.Anyone?Cheers,RJ

121031gjMetropolitanSharkFishingRestrictionsformattedrj.pdf

finessing of the rules down to prohibition during daylight hours of "wire trace or non-homogeneous monofilament line" etc.

I know that in metallurgy the determination as to whether a material is or isn't homogenous can be blurry to say the least at times. While many alloys are utilised because they are stronger or more suitable for in service use than homogenous structures there are also heat treatment processes etc that can make homogenous structures tough like their alloy competitors.As for utilising this defintion in a court of law for your benefit however, you may still want to have a few rec fishers on your sharking offence jury panel! :laugh::laugh::laugh: TB

Yes, the metamorphisis of the circumfrence due to the horizontal perpendicularity in relation to the manifestation of the singularity atomic particle in each cornflake could be blamed for the current generations inabilty to manifest themselves into a society of conformists.You were saying.Sorry, Shiraz. Carry on.

Angler first to be fined under new laws.

A ban on the use of hooks exceeding 50mm in length during daylight hours was introduced after a public outcry following multiple reports of fishers luring sharks closer to shore with berley.

What?? No it wasn't! NO one was using berley last year. It all started with that picture from Triple M! :angry: Article also doesn't explicitly mention what actual offence he was fined for.

The story's not very clear is it. Just guessing that they'll probably try to fine him for shark fishing before 9pm.This is the bit that needs a LOT more explanation though..."Other fines could still be handed out to people standing with the man as he landed the shark last Tuesday (October 30), about 8pm."Far as I know fishing rods are single person use only. Guilt by association?Cheers,RJ

But also as kon pointed out, there is no actual ban on shark fishing, only on the types of gear that can be used between certain hours.

If illegal gear was used' date=' then I have no sympathy for the people involved. Does look more like wire than mono I must say.If, on the other hand, the gear utilised was kosher then he/they [i']technically[/i] did nothing illegal.NOTE - There is not a ban on shark fishing per se but a restriction on type of tackle that may be used.And there is a reason for that - from the FAQs on PIRSA`s site;Why wasn’t a complete ban on shark fishing in metropolitan water introduced?Banning targeted fishing activity for a specific species can be problematic. The general nature of fishing makes regulating the taking or targeting of a particular species difficult, as the use of certain fishing gear can catch a range of species. For this reason, recreational fisheries management uses a combination of spatial or seasonal closures, fishing gear restrictions and bag, boat and size limits to control fishing activities.

So I'd like to know how they can fine anyone else and exactly what gear the poor blokes been fined for!

If, repeat if, this from page 5 of the thread is correct

"Plastic coated 1000lb Mono and 5/0 jig hooks i believe"

then assuming it was mono trace and the hooks were no longer than 50mm or had a gape no greater than 18mm, etc etc I hope he takes it to court because there was no offence committed.Otherwise - rules is rules, if you want to pull that sort of stunt just to make a point then 110% squeaky-clean is the way to go. I would urge all to bear in mind though, that there is a review of the rules imminent.Just sayin`... ;) The others potentially being charged - probably a technicality matter of "assisting in the taking" or something along those lines?Maybe PIRSA could clarify on this thread what illegal tackle was actually used, to put all this innuendo and second-guessing to rest? :)

What a DISGRACE - all of those politicians and those people in power that introduced this rule to see a young man fined and potentially put through financial hardship over doing a sport or leisure activity that they love, just because the general population isn't smart enough to realise that they have been scare mongered into believing that these sharks are causing danger to them should be ashamed of themselves!The day this fine was handed to this poor young lad was a sad day in South Australia's history!He quite clearly should of just gone out and got wasted on alchohol that afternoon or just sat inside and played his playstation.I mean comon you clowns, LET US FISH!

Just got off the phone with Troy (if you're reading this thanks for the call). It will be/was alleged that the person was fishing with wire trace when and where he should not have been to put simply (he has 30 days to appeal). As per the AN article in realtion to the other chaps the investigation is ongoing as it will be alleged some of his mates were using non prescribed gear ie wire trace at a time and place currently prohibited under section 79 of the fisheries management act 2007. Cheers,Greg.