Kmart rods n' reels

Hey guys n gals,Was in Kmart yesterday picking up some sinkers and noticed a couple of things.Saw a nice 1 piece 6'10" jarvis walker estuary rod with a slowish action, but a good weight rating of 2-4kg (looks like it'd do well with some braid)Also, saw the fin-noir firepower reels, which are well priced and beefy looking!Anyone had any experience with kmart stuff? any stories, good or bad?

I've bought a couple of rods from there and big w in the past for when mates withoutmuch gear come for a fish and I have to say they have performed pretty well for the price. Recently got a 6'6 2 piece, 2-4kg at Kmart for $20-$30 and that made a great little casting and squiding setup. I think for the money they are worth it for having a spare couple of rods handy and if theybreak you're not really losing all that much cash. Cheers, AJ

Until I bought a tcurve I used a $70 shimano et special I got from big w and it is still a top rod. It has nothing on the tcurve but has landed me a tonne of salmon, snook, squid, huge snapper, redfin, carp. I'd only buy graphite but I rate them, you don't need to spend big bucks to have fun and flick lures and soak a few baits.Nicer gear is nicer to use but kmart gear will get the job done!

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the Kmart tackle situation:Bought the JW bullseye 6'10" rod and the Fin Noir FP2000. Put it all together and i must say i'm very impressed with this combo! the FP is a nice little reel for the money at $49 and the rod a steal at $35, it balances beautifully too, right on the front grip.On the docs that come with the rod, JW recommends the FP4500 with this rod, but it would probably have inferior balance compared to this combo, and would look out of place on this 2-4kg rod; also the FP2000 has plenty of drag as it is!Hope this helps next time anyone looks in there for a new rig!

My nearest K-Fart has pretty much 86ed all other brands, save for a a couple of JW rod and reels in favour of their "Sport Fisher" label.I did pick up some bargains over the years there though as some young casual employee had priced a Shimano Symetre at a whopping $29 :) and picked up some very cheap Ugly Stiks etc.Those Penn Mag Powers can be had very cheap from Anaconda when they have good sales. I have a 2000 reel and it's still going strong after 2 years and cops plenty of spray from the gunwhale rod holder while under way.

Confession time...I have bought all my rods from either Kmart or Big W. :blush: However, I've never had any problems with the good old $40 rods/combos... I even have a two piece JW snapper rod I got which was chillaxing in the bargain bin....a whole $60 less than the original price so I thought *yoink* I'll have you....Hooks, lures, jags etc...bit of a different story. but again. I research, research, research...