Turbo charged 20lb trout on the fly

With just 15 minutes to go, Paul makes contact with a 20lb plus rainbow trout whilst fly fishing on a top Hampshire Trout Lake. Paul's self tied silver headed black nymph tempts the fish. It sprints half way across the lake as Paul try's to control the fish. "Gently does it" with a 6lb maxima leader and a 5/6 floating line and loop fly rod.http://youtu.be/XYtkFGtj_zo

closeup13lbrainbow.jpg

No offence Paul but those English Trout fisheries like that are stocked with triploid fish fed on a diet of pellets and attain great weights.That stocked dam looks not much bigger than an olympic swimming pool, fair enough the guy must of had some skill to land the fish....but in fishing half the battle is outwitting the quarry......a 1/2 pound wild brownie caught out of a small running adelaide hills creek would be more of an achievment than a fat 20lb pellet fed fish contained in a dam.Not having a go, just the way i see it.Cheers B)

Know exactly what you are saying guys but they do get wise pretty quick.I was one of the first to bait fish a prize SAFWAA dam and pulled several mid 50cm Rainbows, one after the other. Go there now and the big boys won't even give you a sniff. The only one's you get are from last years stocking.A 20lb fish is going to have been around for a few years (although pellet fed not that many) but enough to see a lot of lures thrown his way.Just puting a different spin on it.... :)

Yeah true Kingsley trout do wise up,I get in to a bit of coarse fishing and read a lot of the English mags ect ,from what I understand they actually release farmed pellet fed fish already at weights of 15lbs and over and they get caught within a week of release,sometimes within a day or so.Pretty sceptical of anything I see coming from over there, jonny come latelys pull fish of 25 lbs on a daily basis from those fisheries,although it still would be a lot of fun hooking up and landing that monster! B)

Barra in peelet fed holding tanks don't wise up to human fingers worked like poppers over weeks and weeks, so in the time it would take for a trout to eat a lure in an easy acces, small, roadside dam they probably wouldn't wise up to quick. I Rember reading on an W.A forum that a guy in perth caught a 65cm Barra in a small public pond. It must of been released in summer when it was to big for it's tank, it tokk him 3 trips to land it but he got it. That is basically this kind of fishing. Also that dam would have no where near enough food to raise a 20lb fish on it's own, let alone a hundred from a fingerling stocking. But yeah to hook am oblivious giant still woul be fun, just not as much pride as you could of had if it was a wild fish.