Disgusting !!!!!!!!!!!

Got to o sullies ramp late today for a quick snook flick and a snorkel around some reefs today. As I was putting the boat in the water today the shop guy was on the ramp saying there was a snapper floating in the marina and was just letting people know ir was there, I thought oh yeah could have been a decent one! As we started to leave the ramp we motored over to it and it was a 10 kg specimen! My blood started to boil .... It was fresh too! Some knob head must have caught it kept it and the come into the marina and dumped it, in thinking fisheries must have been there and then these douche bags got scared and dumped it overboard to waste away! Can anyone confirm if fisheries were at osullies this arvo????? Very interested! I wish these tools got caught!! Why are they even fishing for snapper ATM! This snapper was huge I doubt it was a whiting rod by- catch! I know u can get good size ones on light gear but seriously I think this one was targeted! It's just suss to me! Plus ive seen a few boats out on barges n other snapper drops this week which is suss too! Unless they going for sharks or snapper there ain't a reason they should be out there ! That fish at the ramp tho is really pissing me off!!! That fish was at least 30 years old and some1 illegally caught it and then dumped it!!!Sorry for my rant guys but this is not good and I just don't get why people think they are above everybody else plus the law!

this is not uncommon at sullies ,i have seen fish frames and undersized snapper when i have been launching my boat ,these people will never be caught as they are probably the once evry 6 month fisherman ,they obviously dont give a stuff about the rules and if they are ever caught all there fishing gear should be confiscated boats and cars ,you do that in queensland with female mudcarbs and see what happens youll be walking home working out how the f :c you are going to pay the fine ,you have every right to be mad mate i know i am, as i have said before if i ever see anyone doing this i will report them and also give them a spray at the ramp so everyone there knows what they have done ,gutless dogs that give the good fishers a bad rep how long has the ban got to go 1 week, my god what a turdburgler. :angry:

It’s no different than someone who lowers their car and puts fancy large mags on the car automatically makes them a hoon.Not everyone should be perceived as doing the wrong thing.I have seen some shocking things in fishing and boating but they get sorted in the end.Oh by the way we are all guilty in some form in fishing

has anyone here caught a fish' date=' say a tommie and used it as bait with out returning to shore? you may not be doing anything technically wrong, but you cannot 'mutilate' fish on board a boat.one example I can think of[/quote']I've actually raised that before and because they have no current size limit as well as squid for eg it's not an issue.http://www.strikehook.com/forum/74-pirsa-fisheries/199884-filleting-fish#199924

It’s no different than someone who lowers their car and puts fancy large mags on the car automatically makes them a hoon.Not everyone should be perceived as doing the wrong thing.I have seen some shocking things in fishing and boating but they get sorted in the end.Oh by the way we are all guilty in some form in fishing

I can say Im not guilty of anything, nor have I ever been. You might be surprised at how many rec anglers take regulations very seriously.On the specific Snapper issue though, we all were given a reprieve this year while commercial fishers are having the extended snapper ban straight up. Could you imagine the uproar if a longliner is spotted out there in early December? Yet it seems plenty just don't give a damn. These reports of Snapper caught and kept during the ban are getting pretty widespread and im just as annoyed to hear about it as some of the others posting on here.... Im surprised you're not.

Yet it seems plenty just don't give a damn. These reports of Snapper caught and kept during the ban are getting pretty widespread and im just as annoyed to hear about it as some of the others posting on here

I have heard of plenty going out 'just for a fish' as well, just to see if 'they' are around, that think it is fine to catch and release them.They know what they are doing.

Savage480, you nailed it at the top of this page- RecFishing Guide, p20Fishers are reminded that where fish are taken for use as bait, they must also conform to size limits specified for the species.and, additionallyIt is an offence to cut up, fillet or otherwise mutilate fish or crabs on a boat (except for scaling and gutting) unless the fish or crabs are to be eaten on board. This only applies to fish (other than shark) and crabs subject to legal minimum lengths. Please note that legal minimum lengths still apply to such fish.BTW deliberate C&R of snapper during the closure will get you the naughty corner from what I have heard... :evil:

Spot on there jack! I'm not sure why the comment about we are all guilty of some sort of illegal fishing was made! I would hope that most fishers go by the rule book coz they are smart enough to realise this Is how we will have fish for the future!!!!

I was referring to new comers taking up fishing,with them at the age of 7,16,22 or 30 years of age.Baiting up for the first time and hooking some juvenile fish,some will have problems identifying them or being undersized.Some will have a problem returning them,you know it’s only a small fish to take home and show mum and dad.It happens,i know i did it when i started out 45 years ago.Yes guilty as charged .I’m a bad person.

I think there was a case maybe two years ago where a pro snapper fisherman was taking fish during the ban from a ship in a tinnie to shore to a waiting car he got busted ,the ban has to be there for a reason nan maybe the pros do rape pillage and plunder but we all have to play are part in conservation of this fish species ,i mean cmon mate it is one month big deal,some people carry on as if it has been 10 years i dont understand it.

The Vics dont have a ban, but the Victorian fishery was hit hard over ten plus years ago and the fishery was in dire straights. They introduced tight bag and reduced size limits, and things are picking up very rapidly. But still the size of the fish over there is a lot smaller with fish averaging 3-6kg.It is my opinion and from what Ive seen it is the Victorian Charter operators that are taking quite considerable numbers of fish in Victoria

There's hardly anything decent to catch in SA that's sizeable hence the reason why the 1 month ban really hurts.This business of we've all got to play our part is total crap and a cop out. Reccies play there part by adhering to stringent bag limits.Its the pros and pirsa that have caused all the damage. Its just tokenism to appease the pros why recs have to cop the ban to fix the damage pro greed had caused.If pirsa managed the pros better then this ban wouldn't be required.

Mate i dont think it is a cop out or a load of crap ,these fish spawn during the months around when the ban is on ,if you remember uhf put up a video of himself catching a descent snapper before the ban was in place ,you have 11 months of the year to target this species ,1 month out of 12 is a small price to pay for the survival and health of a fish species ,if we didnt have a ban on catching them at this time of the year do you think you would have been able to pull those crackers you did last year in the port ,personnaly id support a 3 month ban on the taking of these fish at this time of the year,go down to the ramp on friday and see how many boats are out then go back on sat/sun and see how many boats are out ,youll be lucky to get a park 1 months ban is nothing ,but it might just give this species a chance ,and to get back to the original post i suppose it was a pro who chucked the snapper in at sullies .

Nanman

If pirsa managed the pros better then this ban wouldn't be required.

Unfortunately it is about "seen to be doing" politics - BTW recs do have an impact by definition, but as you say not to anywhere as significant an extent as the level of commercial extraction over recent years.I actually think that what has been implemented for this year is worthy of consideration as a permanent fix, ie a ban on commercial extraction until 15 Dec and reduced bags for recs for the first two weeks of Dec. People can still fish, regional communities not adversely affected economically, conservation imperatives are addressed, a win-win compromise...too bad it doesn`t look like being the endstate outcome, for both political and easy-fix simplicity reasons...And then there is the looming Nov-through-Jan Gulfs Spatial Closures decision-making shitfight early next year - forget about 15 Dec opening day for all, that additional conservation measure will be a major spanner in the works for fishers and regional communities if they make those closure areas contiguous with land rather than well and truly mid-gulf! :evil:

I have to totally agree with the statement "If PIRSA Managed the Pros better we wouldn't need a ban at all"I also agree with Kon, in that PIRSA needs to stay WELL away from Spatial Closures!I think all anglers and coastal communities are PRAYING that they do not go down this route. Surely the new reduced bag limits this year, and extended ban next year (if put into place permanently), along with reduced trip limits for pros, will then be enough and sufficient measures to protect our stock well into the next few decades.

Plus ive seen a few boats out on barges n other snapper drops this week which is suss too! Unless they going for sharks or snapper there ain't a reason they should be out there !

While I understand the sentiments here I would just like to clarify that sounding over these drops to see where snapper are schooling is good preparation that goes for the longliners as well.Secondly, mackeral are often found on these drops and fishing for them to gather baitfish is also good preparation.I see nothing wrong with being there and fishing using gear/baits that are not suitable for snapper. Barotrauma kicks in at around 11mtrs so anything over this depth and release becomes more difficult if a snapper does take an unintended bait.Lets hope those that can't help themselves in taking advantage are either caught in the act or end up with a good dose of bad luck somewhere down the road.My 2 cents...TB

I have to totally agree with the statement "If PIRSA Managed the Pros better we wouldn't need a ban at all"I also agree with Kon' date=' in that PIRSA needs to stay [b']WELL away from Spatial Closures[/b]!I think all anglers and coastal communities are PRAYING that they do not go down this route. Surely the new reduced bag limits this year, and extended ban next year (if put into place permanently), along with reduced trip limits for pros, will then be enough and sufficient measures to protect our stock well into the next few decades.

I think the permananet sites designated as sanctuary zones to be gazetted next year across both gulfs (in combination with the existing snapper closure) should be more than adequate if both sectors are managed properly.TB