Nailed by a critter....

Hi team....the snake thread got me thinking....hopefully no one has been unlucky enough to be 'bitten in action' .... I've had a couple of close shaves, one involving a black snake whilst setting a yabby net- my mate literally saved the day with a chop from his walking stick as it poised to strike. My mate got on the wrong end of a red back bite whilst scrounging for tackle in a neglected lure box- he described it as 'searing agony' amongst many expletives. Hopefully no one has had a serious injury, and this is certainly not intended to be an ego competition- just interest in our less than pleasant encounters with nature. Peace. :sick:

when fishing alone in corroboree billabong Darwin one morning a few years ago caught a catfish while trolling.lifted it into the boat and it fell off the hook and one of the pectoral spikes went through my overalls "was a cold winters morning" and in beaded in my calf muscle, was quite an intense burning pain, but luckily i used to carry panadine forte with me so popped a cpl and carried on fishing.had a numb left toe for several months after that, apparently caused by a severed a nerve to my toe according to the doctor

Riding my old Norton one fine afternoon, wearing an open face helmet and wrap around sunnies when "SMACK" hit in the face by a bee, little sucker crawled under my sunnies and stung me right on my brow, slowly dying under the glasses and the sting pumpimg away i spotted a gent watering his lawn and quickly pulled into his drive and without further hyperbole asked him to remove the stinger.That ^^ and numerous times being stung by wasps when riding.

Got stung by a European wasp when I was a kid (10-11yo). One of the most intensely painful things I have ever experienced(aside from watching to 2004 AFL Grandfinal, but that's another story) :whistle: Other than that had the webbing (best way i could think to describe it) between my thumb and my index finger snipped by a :c :c :c male blue crab. That wasn't much fun either. Certailny put a dampened on the evening. Oh and I got a splinter in my finger from a shitty fish when it put its spikes up... :blush:

Been nailed by a Saltwater catfish off Glenelg Jetty about 12 years ago. Had to get the spine cut out. Got it at home in a jar. Absolute agony.Also been bitten by a red back 2 years, not nice at all.Grabbed by an eagles talons that i had rescued. That hurt.I've had close encounters with snakes, stepped on a few over the years. Be careful guys, nature is out to get ya.

I caught a really good flathead once only to have it stick its gill spine into my finger joint inbetween the bones. I had to lie down for about half an hour due to the toxins and nearly throwing up regularly. My finger swelled up and got infected and I couldn't bend it for several days. It wasn't fun. I then decided it was time to invest in a pair of lip grips :)

A couple of days after i originally got my motorbike L's going for my first ride with a couple of mates... I was behind them and notice them tuck there heads in and down... i was oblivious to the swarm of bee's i was about to ride thru... thankfully i somehow managed not to get stung but i had bee's hiding all over my jacket and helmet openings. I wont make that mistake again.

Scrub tick in the old scrot*m when I was about 6 years old. Bal* bag went to the size of a baseball and had to stagger (with legs widely apart) to the Doc's for a diagnosis. Worst part was my dear old (departed) Mum having to put ice packs on it every few hours to reduce the swelling. Not much fun laying on your back with a shrivelled peck*r pointing skywards and frozen nuts. :blink: :S :whistle:

Didn't cop a bite, but when I was a kid about 10 years old and living up at Leigh Creek, me and a mate would go bush for hours on end looking for snakes and stuff. I once got 2 brown snakes, not big ones only around 2 feet long into an old long neck beer bottle I found. I held a flat rock over the top and went home to show my mum. She was talking to the neighbor over the fence and I just emptied the 2 snakes on the lawn for her to see. The snakes took off in different directions and my Mum freaked out and screamed "kill them", I picked up a piece of wood and dispatched both of them. I shudder when I recall the crap we got up and the risks we took, just did not see the dangers I suppose.Regarding the fellas on motorbikes riding into swarms of bees, not me but a mate did that while wearing a Tee shirt and copped 7 stings. Don't know what hurt him more, the bee stings or the time his visor on his full face helmet smacked down with the wind force as he was riding his bike with a smoke in his mouth and pressed the burning end of the smoke hard against his nose.

I was once fishing at West lakes at night doing well on big Bream using live bloodworms.I fished one out of the bucket and went to put it on the hook,when its head part shot out and tagged me on the webbing between my thumb and index finger.Instant excruciating pain and had to rip the bugger off.My hand swelled up to twice its size and the pain radiated up to my elbow,couldnt grab the handle of the reel and put an end for fishing that night.nasty pain for a couple of hours and the bite site itched for days.Closer inpection revealed the suckers have 3 or 4 hook shaped darts that they inbed in to you and seem to be coated in some kind of venom,very nasty and very painful.cheers B) Heres the business end that does the damage,they shoot it out like a harpoon.Posted Image

Raking for crabs I found an old pair of elastic sided work boots on the beach, with the sole seperated from the upper on the side of one boot, but good enough to cover my feet while wading. A little spiky bastard fish entered through the gap while I was raking, I felt a sting getting progressively worse, by the time I got back to shore I could hardly walk.Left my motorcycle jacket sitting on a bench while at work, kitted up at home time not realising a spider had crawled into the jacket. 5km from home I felt a sting on my gut, ended up pretty crook, spending the night in hospital, got released in time to head back to work next day.On a conservation survey catching snakes for the gubbmint, in my haste I mistook a Tiger Snake under a bush for a Red Bellied Black and almost got tapped on the chest by the angry lil bugger as I was attempting to grab it.Possum bailed up on the back lawn by the dogs, I grab possum, possum grabs me, my blood fies, possum fur flies, dogs are smart enough to stay out of the danger zone.Showing a Victorian the spine to avoid on a leatherjacket, the lil prick bit me (that's the leatherjacket not the Victorian) on the webbing tween index finger and thumb, sharp teeth went straight through.Breaking up a dog fight tween a bully and a great dane I had my hand torn open down to the bone.The missus regularly beats me with the frying pan.I also get abused by grumpy fishermen frequently.No doubt plenty of others I've forgotten, as I've been working with animals for nearly 20 years, so I've had my share of cuts, scratches, bites, attacks and encounters.....sometimes ya win, sometimes ya lose!

When I was about three years old the family went to the Adelaide Zoo. There was a cage that appeared to be empty and as young kids do I grabbed the mesh to stick my face against it for a better look. Of course the cage wasn't emptyand this oversize guinea pig leapt onto the wire and mauled my ring finger on my right hand. Mauled isn't the word it pretty much degloved it from the knuckle down. As there was no micro surgery in the day the doc just rearranged as best he could, bandaged it up and administered some antibiotics. This link is the creature. They used to be called agouti.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PacaWas riding my dirt bike with a mate in Victoria a few years back and was ripping along. Two ducks flew out from the side of the road and I ducked (excuse the pun) but my mate Cam copped one fair in the face. He stayed on the bike but when we stopped I could not recognise what was his blood or the ducks - gizzards, blood and feathers everywhere. After cleaning him up found only minor bruising and some pretty good swelling. Thank god for full face helmets and goggles.The best one I ever saw was when raking at lower light/port parham. My cousin and I were about 14 and we were herding this huge smoothie around the shallows. A family friend Jeff was studiously raking a narrow sandy gutter that was about a foot deeper than the mud banks. The ray saw this as its only opportunity to escape and just as we shouted a warning Jeff turned a round as the ray hit him full on mid shin. It knocked him flat on his back and went straight over the top of him. No one hurt but we died laughing.

[attachment]snake bite 24122010_1.jpg[/attachment]On Christmas eve afternoon 2010 I was heading down the track to the rocks at Hallett Cove to see if there was a squid about. I brushed past something just above my right ankle that made me spin around and take a look, but there was nothing obvious. by the time I got to the beach it felt like I had those grass seeds in my sock, pricking and itching and a sensation like electric shocks going from my ankle to my toes..About 20mins later up came the lumps where the fangs had gone in...a juvenile Brown Snake had had a go! fortunately very little venom got in and I had X'ssy day with a sore leg & no more...the message, always be looking directly 2-4 meters ahead when tracking...especially this time of the year!

when i was cray fishing down pt macdonnel best thing that always seemed to come up in pots was a gernard been done by two of them now agony for about 15 minutes then you still cant use that hand for a further hour.Prawn fishing in exmouth we use to get all sorts but one night i got done by a green cobler bugger went straight under the thumb nail. all i remember was shaking at the sorting table and lights out woke up sitting up everyone laughing a@#$holes.best one i have seen is another deckhand tried to pick up an electric ray in WA came up in the pot. he went in twice couldnt work it out. me and the skipper knew what it was straight away funniest thing ever still pulling the piss out of him for that

Got a Gurnard when out Prawn trawlin many moons ago.. " Happy moments" nasty lil fekers. watched my brother get a saltwater catfish in the hand.. screamed for nearly 8 hrs.. My mother took a redback in the hand for me.. as a kid i was playing with it. she pushed me out of the way and it bit her.