Things must be bad

I have been watching web sites that have web cams and local ramp photo’s taken every 60 seconds.One very obvious thing is boating along our local coast is almost non existent.Sure a nice day brings out a small splurge of boat fisherman but nothing like in the past years where you queued up for 20mins trying to launch and retrieve.Through the week boating shows just about no one out there except for a handful.Looks like fishing and boating is virtually dead.

I have been watching web sites that have web cams and local ramp photo’s taken every 60 seconds.One very obvious thing is boating along our local coast is almost non existent.Sure a nice day brings out a small splurge of boat fisherman but nothing like in the past years where you queued up for 20mins trying to launch and retrieve.Through the week boating shows just about no one out there except for a handful.Looks like fishing and boating is virtually dead.

:huh: Definitely not what I see on a weekday with good weather at North Haven. You'd be better off looking at a picture of the car park rather than the ramp. Quite often have the car park half full before lunch time if the forecast is good.

The problem that most have, me included, is Monday to Friday job, some Sundays on call, 3 children & 3 grandchildren. By the time I spread the love around and organize a day out the f'n wind blows up or the deckie has a hangover.So here I sit ogling the web cams while at work & dream.

You also have to take into account that the web cams operational hours, by the time that they turn on, and transmit pictures, most boaties have launched an hour or so earlier....
:sh Give it a couple weeks till me and the rest of the fairweather brigade are on holidays and the 20minute queues will be common place. 7am on Saturday and Sunday's over the holiday season is mayhem! Forget your web cams mate, bring a bacon sanga down the ramp and enjoy the shenanigans.... It's like the circus cross with fight club :laugh: Queue the Benny hill music please :P

Was hoping i could get out today but had to see clients. Such is life

I have noticed an exponential increase in the number of kayaks venturing out into the gulf during the last year or two. I know from personal experience that for those unable to justify spending large sums of money on boats and maintenance kayaks seem like a great alternative. Even taking a walk down a metro beach on the weekend you often see heaps of yaks being launched from the sand.Claiming that fishing and boating is dead is completely wrong. As an adolescent I associate with many guys my age and I have found that a large percentage of them enjoy getting out for a fish on the jetty or the beach. Perhaps the culture of fishing and boating has changed slightly over the years (due to the introduction of bream tournaments etc.) but personally, I believe the sports' future is heading in a good direction.

Most are on 24hrshttp://dpti.sa.gov.au/ondeck/articles/webcams
Top of page web camerasCameras are operational from 5 am until 9 pm daily' date=' central Australian time.[/quote']Have a look tonight.Most common to be shut down is west beach and granite island.As i'm close to o'sullies ramp i see guys fishing there of the pontoons at midnight friday's and sat night.

The other point is tackle shops are struggling and hoping the season can keep them going on after all those years being there.One particular shop down south is on the verge of shutting the doors which is only showing how people are holding back from spending.Car and boat sales are down and fun stuff gets put on hold.Just look at the retail market.Same thing i have noticed on forums..nothing like it was a few years ago.Posted Image

:shGive it a couple weeks till me and the rest of the fairweather brigade are on holidays and the 20minute queues will be common place. 7am on Saturday and Sunday's over the holiday season is mayhem! Forget your web cams mate' date=' bring a bacon sanga down the ramp and enjoy the shenanigans.... It's like the circus cross with fight club :laugh: Queue the Benny hill music please :P[/quote']But that's expected every year.Things are looking slow since the better weather from mid oct.

These are probably the hardest weeks of the year for most people to get out and it has been a bit breezy. One plus of being so flat out at work the past few weeks (knowing I don't have time to head out) is sanding and repainting the boat trailer at night all ready for its first season with me at the helm and hopefully my first Schnapps! :boat:

These are probably the hardest weeks of the year for most people to get out and it has been a bit breezy. One plus of being so flat out at work the past few weeks (knowing I don't have time to head out) is sanding and repainting the boat trailer at night all ready for its first season with me at the helm and hopefully my first Schnapps! :boat:

Sign of the times unfortunately. Definately contributing factors for recreational fishing numbers falling in this state from 450,000 to 236,0000 since 1990.How many of us have large mortgages etc we will never pay off due to huge power/other service bills and rubbish levies that end up in general revenue? No wonder more and more are landbound as the boat becomes a distant priority.TB
Sign of the times unfortunately. Definately contributing factors for recreational fishing numbers falling in this state from 450' date='000 to 236' date='0000 since 1990.How many of us have large mortgages etc we will never pay off due to huge power/other service bills and rubbish levies that end up in general revenue? No wonder more and more are landbound as the boat becomes a distant priority.TB[/quote'']I dunno, boat ownership is one of them things that puzzles me.You don't need a 30k trailerboat. I had one sure. But getting rid of it didn't mean I had to be boatless forever.You can easily get an affordable little boat... Considering the money some spend on tackle, I can't see any reason why people remain landbased with ;)Look at me and banga with our tinnies... Easy done if you're keen. Oh and saw the sabt field last Saturday, and some of those guys have some very modest and tidy tournament ready rigs :) some do have pearler $40k+ rigs, but not essential ;)
Sign of the times unfortunately. Definately contributing factors for recreational fishing numbers falling in this state from 450' date='000 to 236' date='0000 since 1990.How many of us have large mortgages etc we will never pay off due to huge power/other service bills and rubbish levies that end up in general revenue? No wonder more and more are landbound as the boat becomes a distant priority.TB[/quote'']I dunno, boat ownership is one of them things that puzzles me.You don't need a 30k trailerboat. I had one sure. But getting rid of it didn't mean I had to be boatless forever.You can easily get an affordable little boat... Considering the money some spend on tackle, I can't see any reason why people remain landbased with ;)Look at me and banga with our tinnies... Easy done if you're keen. Oh and saw the sabt field last Saturday, and some of those guys have some very modest and tidy tournament ready rigs :) some do have pearler $40k+ rigs, but not essential ;)
Jack...how many days of the year does the weather enable you to fish in the gulfs in a small, cheap tinny compared to a 6m fiberglass?My point is that while there are inland or river options for smaller vessels this doesn't fill the boat ramps or support the wider offshore boat sector.Large boat sales are down and many second hand private sellers are trapped with boats they can't sell. TB

The down turns in the economy have always been great if you're cashed up. I bought a mid size Haines rig in the early 90's when the recession was in full swing and sold it 10 years later for more than i paid when the economy was flying.The next 12 months or so will be a great time to pick up a 2nd hand rig as folks begin to offload "luxury" items.

Jack...how many days of the year does the weather enable you to fish in the gulfs in a small, cheap tinny compared to a 6m fiberglass?My point is that while there are inland or river options for smaller vessels this doesn't fill the boat ramps or support the wider offshore boat sector.Large boat sales are down and many second hand private sellers are trapped with boats they can't sell. TB
As soon as you start looking at 6m boats running costs rise dramatically if comparing a 4.3 tinny.Then you need the vehicle to pull the 6m glass.Then you need to see what type of return can one get in fish making it all worthwhile.If that part of fishing falls through then just boating may suffice in a day out.. Everyone to their own reasons in what they choose to launch at a ramp i guess.

I have an 18.5 ft boat and the 12 ft plastic. I have used the big boat 3 times in the last 2 years. The plastic gets a flogging. Reality is the gulfs are very benign. Unless you're fishing over 15 knots or want to take a heap of people out you don't really need a big boat. I reckon a 14-16 footer would be my pick. I even head out early in the plastic and come in before the sea breeze.

Surprisingly the little boat is.taken out more often that the bigger one was. My old man has a 5.5 m glass boat and is retired and I use the tinny more often.I think it's because;-A bigger boat isn't as easy to take out by yourself. It takes longer to clean, costs more and is a significant time consuming exercises to launch yourself for just a short trip.-Similarly, the weather seemed to matter more, because I was always keen on bigger trips so didn't want to go 30km to middle of the gulf or even do a goannas run in like 15-20knots. Uncomfortable and expensive, better to get a good day yeah.-The tinny can be launched on a whim and can use any ramp very quickly by my self.It has changed my thinking too. Because land based is rarely an option. It's like if im packing the rods may as well hook the trailer too ;) im lucky to have the port river, but have also discovered estuary systems at price and the wallaroo inshore area including bird island. there isn't too much offshore work requires really.... It's nit like we live in Tassie or WA, even the east coast pacific launching mist limit alto of those guys although they do have more freshwater.No, we are very lucky in SA, by having the protected gulfs. Of course im not going to visit Joseph banks group again in a hurry or haystack island, but those are once in a blue moon trios for me.Nah, while plenty are landbased spending cash on tackle, I've forked out just a little bit and am already able to target the majority of our icons, Bream, mulloway, snapper, Flathead whiting, etc..... But hey, the kayak guys realise you don't even need a boat to get the majority of our fish... Look at the Kelvin style snapper guys, and Sambo man in his kayak (worth more than me boat lol) and his killa York's ground requires only a tinny ;) I've gone on about it enough, but would highly recommend a cheap tinny for regular adventures off of the land.BTW tacklebags!!! Look at all your mullies mate! They were via nothing more than a tinny lol, smaller than mine even ;)Cheers all :)

I was thinking exactly the same thing Jimbo :huh: The economy is not that bad BCF is not the end of the world nor is Foodland selling tackle, the sky is not falling.The way we live is changing, we all do things different than the way we did back in the 70's, 80, and 90's The tackle industry is changing as is all retail for that matter and needs to adapt to survive. The retail company I work for is showing growth and has become more involved with internet shopping its what the public want. If there was no demand for it it wouldnt be flourishing the way it is.I use BCF a lot these days not because I find it a great shopping experience but because they usually stock things I want when most other stores these days dont. Trying to get jigheads for example in the size and weight I want is near impossible in most Adelaide stores. Everytime I go to BCF they are there as are the SP's in the style and colour I like. So now to avoid the need to visit many shops to get what Im after I have streamlined the process and go straight there to save time and while Im there I get anything else I want to save my valuable time. We all have smart phones that make finding what we need to easy. Yep the world has changed BTW there are still too many boats out on metro waters for my likings too :laugh: But thats another story :laugh: cheerssnapps

I use BCF a lot these days not because I find it a great shopping experience but because they usually stock things I want when most other stores these days dont. Trying to get jigheads for example in the size and weight I want is near impossible in most Adelaide stores. Everytime I go to BCF they are there as are the SP's in the style and colour I like. So now to avoid the need to visit many shops to get what Im after I have streamlined the process and go straight there to save time and while Im there I get anything else I want to save my valuable time.

In saying that, BCF still dont have everything. I want to Shimano Aernos 4000, they havent got it. Want to match it to a Samaki Allure 902, they havent got it either and yet i have a $25 gift card i need to spend there.