Surf rod length

I have 10 footers 11 and 12 footers a 13 footer and a 14.The one I feel most comfortable with is 12 foot.The advantage of the longer rod lies mainly with keeping the line up above the surf if the conditions dictate.on the casting side of things,i do a bit of distance casting using tricked up OH reels for a bit of a hobby, and technically speaking the longer rod should give you more distance.But if you are uncomfortable with the extra length what happens is technique suffers,and hence distance as well.IE ...a good comfortable length rod + good technique will outcast a longer rod that someone is struggling to get a nice smooth cast out of.You can change your style and adapt to using the longer rod ,but it comes down to practice and getting use to the feel of it.cheers B)

My two favourite surf rods are 13' and 13'6" by Century (UK).I am also into distance casting, and these particular rods work well. However, rod length does not always equal distance when surfcasting. There are a number of factors that affect distance, the biggest one is technique used, Cal is spot on here.I would suggest for a normal caster that 12" is a good length, which as stated previously, also helps keep the line out of the surf. However one thing to also remember is that when you have a big fish on, the length works against you as the rod is acting as a lever, with the angler on the wrong end of it :) Cheers!SB

Hi all i have just bought a brand new Alvey rod for my Alvey 700c5 it is 12 feet and the balance point is in the middle of the top hand grip with reel attached ,fairly wippy tip we loaded it up at the shop with millsy and it handled it well with good curve and strong bottom section ,should be a good combo at a good price .