nearmaps.com....is it gone

depends how much it costs but i wouldnt hesitate to pay $40 a year or somthing around that

They don't seem to be openly publishing subscription costs, well not that I can see (maybe I'm not looking hard enough!), but I've seen a few posts in forums that are talking more like $49 per month per state/ territory!!!!!!
thats a joke' date=' how can it go from being free 2 $600 a year[/quote']I would probably say that they never intended to provide it as a free service for ever and by providing it free it got their name out on the streets. Google can pay for all of the mapping that they do through advertising but how do nearmaps get their money? It's quite clear that the service they were providing was way above what Google can provide and they would probably say that we were getting a free ride...which we were. As a business they have to make money somehow and I'd imagine it would cost quite a bit of money to provide a service that has such regular updates. Google maps is free and we rarely get updates and the resolution is questionable in a lot of cases...I think that says it all.cheersGlen
GREED.....that's how........basic "supply and demand"......you want it bad enough' date='you'll pay..........a good topography map and a hand held gps / compass gets you anywhere B)[/quote']As has been said, it was never intended to be a free service. In fact, their marketing couldn't have been better - provide a better product than your competitor (google earth), let people use it for free for a period of time and get your name out there, then once the product has a following ask for a annual fee for use. In know in the industry I work in there are/were a lot of businesses using nearmaps for free (business use Vs home use) when they should have been paying a fee, from day one. I guess the "honesty" system simply didn't work.