Tips on sharpening knifes

Hey mateGet your self a good diamond stone to make a good edgeI then also use a diamond steel to touch it up and a fine normal steel just to make it a reel fine edgeI lucky enough to still have a my knives and sharpening gear from my days as a chefOther thing you could do which I normally get done approx every 6 months is get a mobile knife sharpener to come a do them for youThere is a few good guys around cant remember the name of the guy I used to use but used to only charge us $6-8 per knife...we did get 3-6 knives each done and there was four of us each time

Depends what knife it is mate. My general kitchen knives i have a Scanpan 3 stage sharpener. Does a great job for around $40.For my fillet knives and good pocket knives i use sharpening stones with guides to keep the correct angle and my Seki Japenese steel knives i send out to the pros.Which knives did you buy Softy?

Do yourself a favour and buy a Marttiini!!! Brilliant knives, had one for at least 8 years and still love it to bits. Sharpens beautifully everytime and has the flex and point I look for in a filleting knife.http://www.marttiini.fi/epages/MarttiiniShop.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/MarttiiniShop/Categories/KalastusCan't give you much in the way of tips as my sharpening methods would probably make some cringe!

Evening ppl' date=' I use & highly recommend the "Furi Tech Edge Pro", three stage sharpening system. Fantastic bit of kit. Absolute simplicity to use & I can shave the hair off my skin with every knife I sharpen on it. Cheers.[/quote']Bingo!!!To sharpen knives, you need around a 20 degree edge! I have to ask, using a sharpening stone, are you capable of holding the knife at 20 degrees while you form little figure eights with the blade on the stone?........I know I cant!The Furi system is an Australian design, which used three progressive sharpening blades. These sharpening blades hold the knife at the perfect 20 degree angle, as you draw it through the sharpener.I've been using one for my fishing and kitchen knives for a few years now, and I swear by it.Bring ya knife around and try it for yourself!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-cpfpHk8xoIn addition to the Furi Tech Edge, I've also purchased the smaller single system they call the Furi Ozitech, and I keep that one in with my knife roll for when I travel.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RZ053ncgAIHave a look at the Ozitech, as it's compact, cheap and I recon it'd do for your needs. If you have a lot of old and dull knives which you want to bring back up, then maybe the Tech Edge system would be the better one for you.

How much did you pay for the Furi? best i saw was $120 online.

I didn't spend anywhere NEAR that amount!the little portable one I picked up in a kitchen supply shop for around $30ish.The proper Tech Edge with the three interchangable sharpening blades, I got through strikehook contacts! I don't know if you remember "Yobbo" who used to be on this forum. His lovely wife worked for a kitchen supply company selling stuff like Scanpan, Zwilling, etc (big name kitchen goods), and one of the products they had available was Furi. Through her I think I paid about $65 from memory.
http://forums.egullet.org/topic/26036-knife-maintenance-and-sharpening/This is the best online guide I have found.I have a ceramic pull through wheel, plenty of stones and a few japanese oil stone and also the chefs choice electric sharpener described in the article.For 90% of my knives I use the electric sharpener as it gives a very good edge and is quick. For my expensive japanese knives I use various grades of stones.

This is the set my mate uses http://lansky.com/index.php/products/universal-system/ It worked quite good, around $45 and will put the exact edge on the the knife every time. You can adjust the angle to suit your needs.Ive bought several over the years from stones to diamond and ceramic sharpeners and keep going back to the old faithful stones, I just cant sharpen the knife the same way all the time, pain in the butt trying to get the exact edge unless you have plenty of time on board or are experienced.Thanks for the tips all.

Depends what knife it is mate. My general kitchen knives i have a Scanpan 3 stage sharpener. Does a great job for around $40.For my fillet knives and good pocket knives i use sharpening stones with guides to keep the correct angle and my Seki Japenese steel knives i send out to the pros.Which knives did you buy Softy?

Just a tip on the scanpan 3 stage sharpener, i have had one and it was great for the first year or so of use and it has totally ruined the edges on my scanpan knives.It tends to cause the edge to break away and form serrations which turn into huge gouges in the edge which make grinding the edge back to nothing the only option for recovery.

i generally put a hone on my edge with a diamond honing knife but for the sharpen i get the pros to do it! as an ex chef my knives got a lot of use and would be sharpened 4 times a year now they are quite smaller than when i got them but with the professionals you know you are getting a good edge every time and it is relatively cheap , definitely cheaper than using cheap sharpeners and buggering the blades or getting a crappy edge

• 5 years later...

This gadget is fine for doing light resharpening of typical kitchen knives. Not so effective on blades that are seriously dulled where metal removal is necessary. I think that given the small size of this tool sharpening a good sized sword would be a stretch, also, if the blade is a finely finished piece, the tool might cause scratches on areas adjacent to the edge. Furi Knife Sharpener Review