Excerpt from that page :RECREATIONAL FISHERMEN MAKE HISTORY!While everyone was set on hooking up to a "barrel"after catches of a 80kg and 122kg Tuna were caught during the week, a recreational boat set out on their first trip off Portland (31/05/12) content with just catching their first Tuna, unaware that they were about to enter into Victorian historical records!Simon, Rob and Nick from Melbourne hooked up to an unusual fish and weren't quite sure what they had caught. A number of phone & radio calls were made in an attempt to identify the creature, when Matt Hunt heard the description he quickly identified it as a "Butterfly Tuna/Mackerel". They are more commonly found in South African and New Zealand waters so this was a rare capture for Victorian waters. Matthew Hunt Fishing Services have been involved this season in collecting specimens for further research and we knew that this would be something that many scientists, marine biologists, DPI and museums would be interested in. After a few quick phone calls the boys on board had kindly donated the carcass/frame for further research.Simon, Rob & Nick's capture is to become a part of Victorian history, as the carcass is heading to the Science Department of the Museum Victoria. They currently have 4 previous specimens in which 3 of those date back to the late 1880's and 1890's. The fourth is a small specimen (30cm) from Portland in 1979. This latest recreational catch is by far the largest specimen they will have on record."Like I said earlier, get in touch with the Museum ASAP , you are now in the record books :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'd like to see the face of the dude holding it. Not convinced! And land based ya reckon?' date=' Brocko, you pulling our legs?[/quote']Would have to agree with you nickmav... Seems a bit odd the photo to me... The fish in the photo looks very dry and in very poor condition and looks more like something you would find washed up on the beach than one that has been caught... I'd like to see some better photos...

Wow, only seen a pic in an old magazine of one of them. All sorts of odd things happen in fishing like the shallow ceduna tuna video. My most unexpected coorong capture (from mundoo) was a 1.2kg red gurnard (like the butterfly gurnard with the pretty wings) different to the ones i've caught off pt mac and robe. Certainly was a shock after catching small mullys on the last few pilly cubes!

• 1 year later...