Boxing Day Cockling

As it was a nice day today, we decided to head down to Goolwa and grab ourselves a feed.The beach was busy as buggery and getting hit hard. That included the guy who thought his AWD was a 4WD, and got himself bogged at the entrance to the beach, holding up a lengthy string of traffic until a recovery vehicle pulled him out.We only travelled down the beach about 500m, before pulling in, coz we didn't need a great deal, as we only wanted a feed not bait, and expected to get what we wanted in about half an hour.It was a little harder than usual, no doubt due to the sheer numbers working the beach.We stopped at 367, as that's all we needed for a good feed, yet even between me and the missus digging, it still took us near on 2 hours to get this many.Good sizes, with very few small ones amongst them which required measuring.They're purging in seawater overnight, and tomorrow is cook-up time! Bl**dy long way to go, a lot of fuel, and a fair bit of work for a feed though....beats watching cricket though!No pics this time, as you've all seen a cockle before.

Nicely done on the cockles. We know how much you love your cockles. :) I tried purging them in seawater but I probably had too many in one bag. I followed your advice in the old cockle thread. I've given up on cooking cockles though. Too lazy. I did follow your recipe and the few cockles without sand tasted good.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha ha I was just about to post about the numerous bogging I saw down there that day.Don't buy a Toyota kluger and use it on the beach if its the same one your talking about. I've got a Nissan x-trail hardly what you'd call an off road vehicle and gets up and down easily just gotta make sure the tyres are 22-25 psi and easy work.

There was a 2wd bogged at the entrance to the beach yesterday holding traffic up. Sent the old lady down to direct traffic for a while till it cleared up.Recovery obviously pulled him out as he (recovery) was sitting at the top wathcing everyone waiting for his next victim on the way back. I hope the back pocket got stung hard for the 2WD !!!We had to dig up high to get ours yesterday which made life hard but got plenty. A garden fork was the tool of the day.