Port Lincoln Wharfs and Jetties

So I am pretty confused. I read in the paper today that there were good reports of fish being caught at Port Linolns main Wharf. Which one is it because there are 3? There is a small one in the middle of town almost, then there is one which is the longest and used commercially, and finally there is the jetty alomst on the point and has a curve to the right with a platform at the end?Also, with the longest jetty, are you allowed right down to the end of it or only part way or not at all?

So I am pretty confused. I read in the paper today that there were good reports of fish being caught at Port Linolns main Wharf. Which one is it because there are 3? There is a small one in the middle of town almost' date=' then there is one which is the longest and used commercially, and finally there is the jetty alomst on the point and has a curve to the right with a platform at the end?Also, with the longest jetty, are you allowed right down to the end of it or only part way or not at all?[/quote'] only 1 main warf, has a jetty/platform section at the left-port hand side which juts out at the start.. the main warf has a gate with a door on the side which the public can access to gain entry to walk through only.. can only go so far as for the other (curved) jetty sounds like kurton point..

The long jetty that curves is the shell fuel tanker wharf. No public access on that one.I'd love to fish it that's for sure. I reckon they'd be resident snapper around it. A fuel tanker unloads there probably once every two or three weeks.

Ahhh good old Kirton Point Jetty...as a kid I used to catch squid off that jetty before school! :clap: The first half was always open, the end only sometimes. Now I understand the whole jetty is closed?Don't forget the slipway around the corner towards the marina. Always good for some squid. Dan C

Don't forget the slipway around the corner towards the marina. Always good for some squid.

Is that the slipway marked government slipway on that map?Nanman,On the map it is markerd kurton jetty and there are no other jetties to the right of it. On google earth and other satelite maps, it does look like there is a gate prohibiting people. Looks a really good jetty though

Ah yes but there's a difference between kirton jetty and kirton point.The best jetty to fish off is the actual main wharf. Its walking access only. Bring plenty of burley and you catch salmon, mackeral, tommies, trevally etc. Don't discount the chance of a snapper either. You've got access to about 2/3rds of it. The last third is fenced off.If you just want squid then the town jetty is very good about an hour before dark just next to the mesh swimming pool.

Don't forget the slipway around the corner towards the marina. Always good for some squid.
Is that the slipway marked government slipway on that map?Nanman' date='On the map it is markerd kurton jetty and there are no other jetties to the right of it. On google earth and other satelite maps' date=' it does look like there is a gate prohibiting people. Looks a really good jetty though[/quote'']Yes the government slipway. Good luck!

Also' date=' the slipway has been locked for years now. No fishing there anymore which sucks because it was an absolutely top spot. :(However, just down the road is Snooks Landing where I caught my PB KGW at 63cm many years ago.The top jetty in this pic is the Caravan Park which I believe is still available to be fished:[attachment=13399']Capture_2012-12-29.PNG[/attachment]

Oh no! Sorry, didn't realize the slip was closed. You're right, that does suck!

Now I'm a bit confused- I heard Kirton point jetty was accessible only through the caravan park, and home to some of the biggest badass eagle rays around? Brennan's is awesome for snapper and garfish, and if you're around the main wharf when a pillow boat is unloading, there can be a salmon invasion.

Marina: Posted ImagePosted Image

Awesome stuff Ugly, I fished both these spots recently. Trevally, Tommies and Squid from the 2 platforms and I fished around the corner of the wharf in the second photo for Trevally, one I couldn't stop and got busted off on the wooden poles, and 1 Kingfish which was just playing with me before it spat the SP hook. A great place to fish when the wind is gonna knock you off the Jetties. ;-)
Awesome stuff Ugly' date=' I fished both these spots recently. Trevally, Tommies and Squid from the 2 platforms and I fished around the corner of the wharf in the second photo for Trevally, one I couldn't stop and got busted off on the wooden poles, and 1 Kingfish which was just playing with me before it spat the SP hook. A great place to fish when the wind is gonna knock you off the Jetties. ;-)[/quote']The Trevally in Lincoln are some of the biggest I've ever seen in SA waters. I assume they all get fat off the pilchard boat waste and the Tuna cages, but some of them hit and run like freight trains. Horrible to eat but fantastic fishing on light gear.

So i should be able to catch something at Pt linoln hahaha. if i dont i am a hopeless angler ;)

At the very least, head down to the Town Jetty just as the sun is going down (or coming up) and the sky is going orange. Fish right next to the fish measuring station on the right hand side of the jetty. Start with a 3.5/3.0 size squid jag in either bright green/pink or blue and if they're not touching it drop to a 2.5 in the same colours. It's reasonably shallow there, even at high tide so make sure you use a decent leader so you can get your jags out of the weed if they get stuck! Good luck mate. Looking forward to your report. ;):P

Unfortunitly I have never really fished for any of these species :( I have fished for squid but never hooked one. I would love to catch even a small trevally but i have no idea how to fish for them. What baits, lures and rigs should I use and what is the best time for them tide wise?