Flathead - Adelaide Metro.

Hey guys,I am interested in targeting Flathead since i have heard it is a great fish to catch and the larger fish put up a good fight. Was just wondering where a potential spot around the Adelaide metro area would be to try my luck. Not asking for your secret spots, just a general area.Also what pound line/lures etc. would be best.Cheers in advance, S121.

From what I know of flatties, they're mainly an estuary fish so on a rising tide you could try any river outlet, or maybe past the sand bar at tennyson if you can get to it at low tide. Baits are commonly pilchards on ganged 4/0's, soft plastics, certain lures and of course whole or half pillies. I have heard that the best ones are often caught on worms, a bit like mulloway.the general idea is that they are an ambush predator, they'll hide in gutters and at estuary mouths and wait for prey to come past, then ambush it as it comes along. They can also be in the shallows on any given beach too! Wherever you are, chuck in your lure or bait and keep it moving, and move if a few casts yield nothing; you have to be prepared to cover a lot of ground to get them sometimes.If you're game to go for a trip, i'm told there are quite a few captures in Yankalilla bay, both off the rocks, at the normanville beach river outlet and even down towards second valley and rapid bay! Good luck sykes, be sure to post pics when ya get one!

• 4 years later...