Good quality Mully bait

Now is a good time for mullet and small ST. Use a small rod, put out some burley and fish close to shore with cockle and size 6 or 8 hooks. Over winter there are plenty of salmon to be caught and these make good cut bait.I usually stock up on squid over summer for bait. I have also done well on cuttle fish strips as it is a bit tougher than squid.

I'm certainly no expert, only took my first trip down there a month ago, but I was using squid I caught in my kayak then zip vac'd and froze and I caught a legal mully and a couple undersized ones, the guys I was with were using store bought stuff and caught nothing. Could be coincidence, but I'm not sure..I had brought a lightweight bait setup but it was too rough to try, but I'm sure you could catch something bait worthy if conditions permit, best to have plenty of backup either way though.Good luck!

Don't use that bought squid from bait shops, always catch your own as it will work better. If you can't get it yourself then buy it from a fish shop like the fish factory. Mullet fillets work well and the Salt creek servo usually sell them, other wise try and catch a few legal size salmon/mullet out of the surf and use them for bait. Don't rely on catching fish for bait down there always make sure your well stocked before hand.Fresh trevally fillets are also dynamite on gummies if you can get onto a few of these. there are bucket loads of gummies being caught from about 30-60k's north of the TTC at the moment, well worth the drive if you don't mind the travel! Remember two per person per day. cheerscheers

this is what I think..... I fished salties between christmas and new year (5 days) and the baits I took consisted of; fresh mullet caught at Parsons, fresh squid caught off Myponga Rocks,fresh salmon trout caught by a mate,pillies I buy from the wholesale fish shop by the box (which I bag into 1kg bags and vaccuum seal),a total of five legal mullaway were caught ranging from 12lb to 28lb. ALL were caught on... you know what...."pillies"! So never underestimate this bait and don't leave home without them! ;)