Hey all,I usually use those gold torpedo swivles for shark fishing but I was wondering if there are any cheaper options that will do the same job? I know that brand... I think it is shogun or something make some pretty heavy swivles and I use some of them for rays, and a mate of mine usually uses the super heavy ones (he caught a 400kg+ shark on them). What are some of your suggestions?

The torpedo swivels are great swivels. I've never heard of any opening up on anyone. It is hard to find quality stuff that will hold that sort of weight. Like all good things they come at a good price too. Looking for cheaper options generally means you will get a lower grade product. If i was you i'd stick to the torpedos as you dont wanna lose that big one after a big fight just to save a $1 or $2.

Hey viddy i know what you are saying. I haven't been able to find a decent snap swivel which can hold a decent weight. So i dont use them. They are the weakest link in you rig set up. If your gonna lose a big fish it will be there. If you're using braid to a swivel use a bimini and if your using heavy mono try looping and crimping. I can show you both ways. Aluminium crimps work really well on heavy mono.

I was doing some thinking...Maybe if I got a rough file and filed a section on the swivels eye that fits the snap swivel nice and snug? Would that weaken the structure of the swivels? The snap swivels I' am talking about are like $20 Penn ballbearing ones. You only get 3 per pack but they do hold up.

I wouldn't recommend filing the swivel. It would weaken it big time and would put a rough edge that would probably cut your line. The swivels are made of hardened metal so it would take you all day to file. The penn swivels are good... I've seen them but i still don't trust them.

What would you recommend? I think I'll bring my heavy setup into tackle world some time so you can tell me what lb wind-on I should use and all the rest. I lost a few metres of line about a month ago after I had just topped it up with brand new line so it is lacking a little bit.