Epic Tuna Sesh ... my first Tuna

Ok , so on Wed smoko i got a call from my old boss asking "you doing much tomoz ? Thinking of going on a fishing charter , would you like to come ?" . My instant reply "is a ducks a@#$ water tight" . It was predicted to be 41 deg anyway so i wasn't to keen to work doing some roofing , not that i needed an excuse like this to take the day of . Got a call a bit later saying it was on and to be ready by 4:15am . Mark was at my door on time and we headed of on an adventure . We were down at Cape Jervois to meet the charter on time and head out before the birds were chirping and wouldn't you know it , the charter fella was a tad late . Makes a change as Mark usually drives Miss Daisy and we are late ? IMG_4557Medium.JPG On board and loaded up we headed out through Backstairs Passage towards the Pages and it wasn't long before we could see the birds bombing the water . Motored towards them and we got close enough to see the Tuna breaching out the surface smashing the bait . What a sensational sight .IMG_4578trimMedium.jpg "To small" cries the skipper and we cruise past heading further out into the big blue . After what seems like an eternity , a few more to small cries and barely seeing land the skipper is telling us to put our line's out . Not to long into the trawl and my rod buckles over and i am onto my first Tuna . After a shortish battle and getting to see colour the hooks pulled with the fish about 5-10 meter's below the boat . Bugger . Off Trawling again and before i could turn the camera on there was a double hookup with one of the rods being mine . A bit of pandemonium and a little bit of underwater footage two Tuna are on board with me landing my first ever Tuna .IMG_4572Medium.JPG A bit more of a trawl this time but again i couldn't get the camera on while i was onto another Tuna .IMG_4584Medium.JPG Now by this time i hung my rod up to let other people on board to catch a Tuna them selves and be fair but then i was thinking of the other times i had been on charters and didn't even catch a fish because other people had got the boat limit before i really had even had a crack so this time i thought bugger it and after some one had been busted off a couple of times had landed one them selve and was still trying to catch a fish every time we did a pass i had a crack again . This time i got the hook up on camera but a minute or so in to the epic battle , the bloody battery went flat . This time tho the braid had some fray in it so the skipper told me not to put to much drag on this fish and take my time . 10-15 minutes later i had it on board ?IMG_4598Medium.JPG This one was also my biggest fish for the day . Awesome stuff . Once the boat limit was reached we headed closer to shore to have a crack for some Snapper . Managed to get a few 45-50cm models but then we caught 3 eagle rays and the skipper decided to call it a day and we headed back to port . Cant thank Lands End Pro Charters enough for the epic adventure chasing Tuna and what an awesome and spectacular day . Cheers fellas .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J2AdEoJ8jwCouple of bits i need to re edit on this ?

Well that was bloody ridiculously super awesome !!!By favourite bit was you letting the others have a go, then saying 'nah, bugger it ' :laugh:Thats fair enough man, I know exactly what you mean hey. anyway I reckon you liked the only one who knew what they were doin with a rod n reel lol, that poor young fella was a-strugglin.That footage at the end is killa, mainly because your winding the reel with yer right hand :ohmy: never seen you do that before!!I could go on and on mate, definitely worth the wait to see that cool underwater stuff and the size of them tuna :)Loved it and am heaps jealous lol. Big congrats on popping the tuna cherry Jimbo.... Epic stuff! :woohoo:

Jack wrote :That footage at the end is killa, mainly because your winding the reel with yer right hand never seen you do that before!!Thats because i handed the rod back and they switched the handle back so the rod was left handed ? Yes Ale he does fish a fair bit and he is my old boss who gave us the heads up to the charter . He has a decent boat himself but he wanted to relax that day a not have to drive the boat but actually fish an thats why we went with the charter . Yeah the gaff was an old home made bambo model with a bit of sentimental value . Definitely seen better days ? I was using there outfit Just Me , thats what i am paying for ? Also we were using skirts and lures but the lures seemed to be doing the trick . Couldn't tell you what ones as two or three rods were getting hit at a time with a couple of bust off's and the skipper , chopping and changing all the time ? Yeah i really rate Lands End Fishing Charters , it's the second time i have been out with them , the first chasing Snapper . Down to earth fella that really knows his stuff . There usually isn't as many people on board but i think there was a friend or two on board , also why i was a bit greedy with the boat limit ? I had paid . He tells you like it is and told us about a group that had GPS plotters with them , so he took them to a shit spot until they put there plotters away in the cabin . LOL . He usually has four people , deckhand and himself on board so it is a much nicer charter than one where there was 12-15 people on board and the boat limit was reached before the handle on my rod had been changed over , that one sucked balls . Cheers Bjorn and UHF , it was an absolute ball and a trip i wont forget in a hurry .