How do I cook abalone

We used to get them on the pub reef at Penneshaw when I was a kid..... used to bash the cr@p out of them till they resembled a wet rag and then fried them in the pan. Geez, in those days we even used to get periwinkles off the rocks and boil them up and pick out the meat with a pin also. I've got no memory of how any of that stuff tasted Posted Image Burlz... that's a good link :)

Get two thin sheets of plywood/bondwood about the size of two abalone,sandwich the Abs. between them after seasoning with your favourite sauce. Bind it all together and place in the oven for 4 or 5 hours on medium heat.Set the table with knife and fork and a good bottle of White wine.Now,remove from the oven and carefully peel off the abalone,Throw them all in the nearest bin and eat the bond wood, you'll enjoy it just as much. Don't forget to wash it down with the white wine!!Bon appetit.Me, I'd rather eat a gum boot and I haven't yet, but, I have tried Abalone in a million ways (ex scuba diver). Can't work out why it's so popular in Asia either.

may as well be of some use here... im a chef and recently had abalone on my menu.. i was taught this method years ago and it serves me well.1.. while still in the shell scrape the brown off the fleshy "foot" of the abalone until it is clean and white (theres lots of grit in there)2.. shuck and gut by cleaving the muscle away from the shell (save shell and gut for awesome whiting bait and berley!!!)3.. remove gut from meat and trim "skirt" from the edge of the "foot" and feel around the skirt for the mouth which should be cut off too as this has a little cartlidge sort of like a squids wing in it.4.. lay it "foot" side down on a wooden chopping board (wood helps with slipping as they can shoot off when bashing) and put a bit of glad wrap over the top to stop splattering, then get a meat mallet and using the side (not the rough parts) bash it gently until you feel it give rather than tense up.5.. slice from top to bottom into thin strips.its now ready to cook... i do it in a medium hot pan with olive oil and butter and garlic for 20 seconds then a squeeze of lemon. this is good to toss through spaghetti with fresh chopped parsley and fresh chilli and of course parmesan cheese... you will not be dissappointed.. bon apetit!!

thanx pellipeeli, a little karma never went astray.. and i reckon abs that have been frozen are better, they tenderise easier imho. as far as the "bush oyster" goes, ive always found that nuts are good with them. i always have a ball cooking those.... but then again i wouldnt know what the flock im talking about, i usually stick to things from the sea-man... boom boom.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: Good onya Ywurrie,I reckon that reply should get them thinking .My brother is a butcher and he just BBQ s the little balltearers, As for the abs Ill make sure i get themsoon .Was lucky enough to get 10 kgs of fresh coffin bay oysters off a bloke here (broken hill) today $4 per dozen still live,3 dozen gone for dinner tonight,some fresh with bacon,lemon juice,tebasco? sauce and anchovies :P ::) ;D MMMMM beudifull,I'll catch you latter cheers peelepeeli 13

• 4 weeks later...

HI- first get yourself a mallet, Tenderize them after shucking, Not to hard but make sure you give them several good whacks. They are good sashimi if you like it that way with wasabi and light soy. Cooking whole on the BBQ or pan for about four minutes a side like a rare steak, Season with a bit of sesame oil, chillies, spring onions and sweet soy, slice fairly thin and serve with some Bok Choi and rice. Mixing them in with your Favorite chicken, beef or lamb stir fry works well ;DI prefer Green lip to brown lip but that may be me

• 3 weeks later...

If done right they are absolutely delicious. Like most seafood, they either have to be cooked very fast or very slow and for a long time. Order Abalone in a Chinese restaurant and you will pay top price for it.Here's a quote from Neil Perry"Dad and I would wander through the old food stores and he would pick out exotic ingredients to cook for us that night. When we had finished shopping, I would be thrilled if I could see a tin of poached abalone in Dad’s grasp; I knew that meant a fabulous steamed soup or stirfry of one of my favourite ingredients in the world. (To this day I believe the greenlip abalone from Tasmania that I serve in all my restaurants is as luxurious and delicious an ingredient as truffles, foie gras, Ibérico ham or caviar.)"http://gourmettraveller.com.au/asian_persuasion.htm