My first red finn session.

Folks,Went out with pilli over the weekend to his mates secret spot. They even used the 'G' word! when i asked if we were likely to catch any..We set off on a trek which saw us meandering down the side of a hill for about 3k's, there it was the water, the guys said it was a little higher than normal, which saw us trying to pick paths through the dense undergrowth.We decided camo was the go, it worked so well when the boys were 3 - 5 meters away you really couldn't see em. Anyhows the sesh started out a bit slow. The phone rings and its one of the boys he's managed to walk off around the corner a bit and has caught 4 already!So i cruised over to see where he was, he was hooked up to something huge! and not a reddy. spat the hooks after it just sat on the spot head shaking with big slow bucks.Soon enough i was into em, catching em about the size of your hand. Then like a mad man retrieved my lure full speed, jerking and what not. Stopped the lure at the rod length in front of me "WHACK" smashed by a red fin that weighed in at 1.26kg's! was a shitty fight tho. I just walked backwards up the bank and my mate grabbed it for me.Then it was pilli's turn, he got his out in the deep, also a good fish weighing in at 1.12kg'sWe were stoked, the guys that took us there were beside themselves, they had never seen reddy's caught there that were that big.There was another hook up to something much much bigger which also spat the hook... me thinks cod??The scene was pristine calm waters with the occasional breach by large trout.We had a great day and are keen to go back. It was a nice change from just chasing bream all the time fishing the same river from weekend to weekend. size=1600http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/UMVV1WSo__Picture_003.jpg[/img]

Anyime of year boys, ;) if theres water and they are there....i just find the last hour of daylight they bite better and are more agressive. SP's work well if used properly but personally i've taken more on hard bodied lures than anythin else, small strike pro minnows, pygmys and SX-40's do the trick. Spinners work well also.generally size of lures doesnt really matter, ive caught 13cm reddies on 50-60mm plastics before.Hope that helps yas,cheers stu

• 3 weeks later...