Good fishing spots in Adelaide?

just wondering the best all round place to fish

Next to some water. :laugh::laugh: Seriously though, that's not really a question that can be answered. It depends on so many things. You might want to start off by thinking what species you'd like to target and people may be able to point you to some decent spots, but there isn't a spot that's going to be the "best" all the time.

Where have you fished before?What type of fishing do you do and what is your skill level? What do you want to catch?Are you interested in lots of little fish and plenty of action, or putting in lots of time for a chance of a legal fish but less smaller ones?What rod and reel do you have? No point buying an expensive rod and reel as it won't catch you any more fish if you don't know what you are doing.How far are you willign to travel?Are you willing to fish at night or in rough weather?There are many variables to consider before we can suggest some options.Learning to fish, westlakes is good as you will get plenty of bites and the occassional legal bream. Plenty of tommies off the metro jetties in the evening if you know how.One of the bigger species to catch will be salmon off port noarlunga jetty in winter during a storm but you will need to wait till at least autumn.Another tip I will give you is don't chase the rumors or reports and fish the same location for at least a dozen or two times. Any of the jetties will hold fish at the right time and although the learning curve is steep, plenty of good fish can be caught. You can bag on gar, tommies, YFW, and squid at the right time if you know what you are doing.Set your goals small at first. Tommies and squid are a good beginner target off the jetties and provide a good feed. Bream in westlakes are a good target to practice on.

Thanks for all the tips!I am kind of keen to catch something apart tommies now... A few weeks ago i went fishing and caught 20 tommies in half an hour using a $9 rod and reel! The next time i went fishing i caught 15 tommies in about an hour with the same rod and reel. Nothing but tommies. Any tips on catching any bigger fish? (I will use my new and better rod) Thanks

Thanks for all the tips!I am kind of keen to catch something apart tommies now... A few weeks ago i went fishing and caught 20 tommies in half an hour using a $9 rod and reel! The next time i went fishing i caught 15 tommies in about an hour with the same rod and reel. Nothing but tommies. Any tips on catching any bigger fish? (I will use my new and better rod) Thanks

Where have you fished before? What type of fishing do you do and what is your skill level? What do you want to catch? Are you interested in lots of little fish and plenty of action, or putting in lots of time for a chance of a legal fish but less smaller ones? What rod and reel do you have? No point buying an expensive rod and reel as it won't catch you any more fish if you don't know what you are doing. How far are you willign to travel? Are you willing to fish at night or in rough weather?

In every way, what you are asking is what every fisho on here would love to know ;)Simply there is no best place to go and catch big fish (I assume landbased).Most fishos have their own idea of best places, and most are different :)Here is what you need to ask yourself;What fish do you want to catch?Do you want just a big fat ray?Do you want to catch a Snapper?A mulloway?A kingfish?Give yourself a goal. What about trying to get a nice big legal Bream?Once you know what you want to catch, google it, do a search on here ;) create a thread.Failing that. If you catch a Tommie, stick a big hook through its shoulder and chuck it out live on your bigger rod.Keep on catching yer tommies and having fun..... And just hope and pray something big eats your live bait. Do this where ever you fish.... If you get a big hook.up come back and tell US where it happened :cheer: Welcome to the site by the way.

kelvin i am willing to fish at night and during ruff weather :) point me in the rite direction ;)

My best catches of landbased gar and tommies have been overnight off the jetties. Same with snook.Porties is good for salmon after a storm. Dirty water also brings the KGW and flatties on the bite and within reach of landbased jetty anglers. I have caught a few KGW right off the end of Brighton after a blow. I have also heard of a few snapper caught after a storm off there as well ;) But be prepared to fish between 8pm and 4am

Right,so i am fishing with not much experience, i would prefer nice-ish weather, any big fish would be nice, dont want to travel to far from adelaide, average quality all-round fishing rod and reel. Just wanna know where to catch a big fish and what with. p.s anywhere good with jettys to fish for snapper?

Right' date='so i am fishing with not much experience, i would prefer nice-ish weather, any big fish would be nice, dont want to travel to far from adelaide, average quality all-round fishing rod and reel. Just wanna know where to catch a big fish and what with. p.s anywhere good with jettys to fish for snapper?[/quote']If you are serious, and not just yanking our chain, I would sit down and answer Kelvins questions on the first page of this thread.

Where have you fished before?St kilda - one tommyKingscote - queen snapper two sweepGlenelg - 15 tommiesBrighton - 20 tommies What type of fishing do you do and what is your skill level? I am not very experienced, only the places above. All of these have been of a jetty.What do you want to catch?ANY big fishAre you interested in lots of little fish and plenty of action, or putting in lots of time for a chance of a legal fish but less smaller ones?More time, bigger fish.What rod and reel do you have? No point buying an expensive rod and reel as it won't catch you any more fish if you don't know what you are doing.Jarvis walker of medium quality (cost about $60)How far are you willing to travel?Anywhere near Adelaide (not too far)Are you willing to fish at night or in rough weather?Don"t mind night time, but not too rough or windy.Hope this helps.

Okay then.Here's what you do.Catch all your tommies.Then take them to the very end of outer harbor rocks and cast as far out into the channel as you can (with your Tommie for bait).If you have more time, drive to wallaroo jetty, walk as far to the end as you are allowed (cast your Tommie).Night time rough weather will be best, but daytime calm weather will do.If you get snapped off, go buy heavier line ;)Case closed, best of luck mate, and remember our reports page to post your snapper pics :) Cheers

Jack and kelvin... Man you guys put forward some information that is invaluable to a new comer great work! Love the way you both illustrated your selves also! Re: 'bigger fish, more time' such an accurate comment... So so many hours for a decent sized fish... Waiting for the sun to rise on outer harbor break water is definitely challenging If your a newbie and wana go for the odd bigger fish but still have fun with smaller stuff on the side, yeah westlakes has your name on it!

Just take your tommies out of the freezer first , makes them easier to cast and the big fish can find them :lol::lol::lol: Seriously tho a lot of fellas will spend a huge amount of time chasing big fish for not much results . Dont be surprised if it takes you a lot of time also . Most places will produce big fish but it comes back to the TIME thing . They patrol a larger area being a bigger fish so you might get lucky and throw your bait in front of there face as they are coming past or you could throw it just after they have gone past and you have to wait a while for them to make there rounds ? Some big fish might only come past once a year ???? WE ALL would like to know exactly when they come past . Keep trying and it will happen .

• 2 months later...