GoPro Hero 3

great camera. im getting the hero 3 silver edition to replace my old one that was lost. if u want one we sell that at my work and i might be able to do a deal on a silver edition for you. but we cant discount black edition. let me know.

Thanks Damien, I was looking at the Black Edition, just because it bundled the wifi gear with it.What about the "accessories" ie. LCD Back-pack and batteries ? discount there?Cheers Trihull

Yep love the go pro's . Got the 1 2 and got the 3 on order just waiting for delivery . Great camera and love the applications you can use them for . Do have a bit of trouble with the amount of info on my computer slowing things down and memory cards can get chewed up pretty quick if you have small cards . Getting extra batteries with mine and there are heaps of accessories just look up the go pro site . Can't wait to try out the wi fi with the black on my phone . there is an app that will make you smart phone the view finder ? Couple of differences with silver and black is low light conditions , frames per second and mega pixels . both have wifi . I would imagine the lcd back pack would use more battery power as where having a battery back pack would be more beneficial . Would love to get another hero2 then get the 3d housing ? If you want to see my footage look up 001jimbojames100 on you tube . Hope this helps and have fun with your camera ?

I picked up the GoPro 3 Black last fortnight for the Freshwater Classic Milang to Goolwa race. Couple of things I have found with the camera I am not happy about and lots that I am.Happy.Picture quality is better than anything you have ever seen. The action shots I took of 30 shots a second mean you can do a great sequence.The WiFi connect App is great, on the iphone you can select all the different settings and record video or shoot pictures.The case is very tough, dont think the attachments are as tough though...Sad.Battery life is dismal, I get around an hour out of the standard battery. From the moment you turn it on the Wifi is chewing the battery so quick its almost disgusting they let it out of the factory like this. I have now bought 2 spare batteries with a charger so I have them ready to go. The Battery BackPack only gives around an extra 30-45mins as well.If filming on 1080 at 46 frames a second I fill a 16gig Micro card on one battery or close to it.The Type of card you want for the best results is a Class 10 with a write speed higher than 45meg a second. I have a 90meg a second card but they cost big $$'sThe footage I got from us sailing down the Narrows at Goolwa was pretty good, unfortunately I ran out of battery when the wind started to come through and we were hitting 25knots on a reach.Looking at getting another one as one is not enough once you start playing with these things and they are mounted in fixed positions..Cheers

I have never really been a fan of the Go Pro's or any sort of tough mounted cam for that matter i.e Contour Roam, Go Pro etc etc.For me no LCD Screen and real time playback is a big no no! I am one of those people that likes to have the perfect angle, frame, zoom all set up before shooting to make sure I am getting the best quality shots and footage.I undertsand no other camera types on the market offer the toughness and mountability of the Go Pros but I think I will trade that off for a quality LCD Screen or even Electronic Viewfinder.In saying that big thumbs up for video quality. Once set up the quality of video is right up there with any other cam and with multiple GO Pros some excellent footage is created.The still shots taken are better now in the new version and the Wifi option is certainly a reasonable alternative.Good luck with it if you get one, can't wait to see some fishy clips. Cheers "Camera Nut" TT :laugh:

Sad.Battery life is dismal' date=' I get around an hour out of the standard battery. From the moment you turn it on the Wifi is chewing the battery so quick its almost disgusting they let it out of the factory like this. I have now bought 2 spare batteries with a charger so I have them ready to go. The Battery BackPack only gives around an extra 30-45mins as well.If filming on 1080 at 46 frames a second I fill a 16gig Micro card on one battery or close to it.[/quote']Rollas, not sure if this would help but perhaps have a look at turning off Protune mode, it may give you a little longer battery as it will run at a slower bit rate, you will sacrifice some quality though. not sure what the standard bit rate runs at can't find it anywhere but the Hero 2 runs at about 15mbps. Don't know if this would help but worth giving a go.You can also change your frame rate between 60, 50, 48, 30, 25, 24 fps less frames per second would equal less power consumption perhaps, you only really need higher frame rates if you're going to use the footage for slow motion effects or if you're recording fast moving objects and can edit the footage interpolating the footage smoothing it out.Keen to try this out and see if the battery lasts longer or not.Can you turn off the wifi when it's not getting used? Would be good if you could.

Thanks to all who have commented on this, I asked this because I have found out what my 50th B'day pressie is ..........1. Diving with Great Whites,2. Swiming with the Tuna'sI have an old school Cannon A1 from the 90's 35mm, and thingking this just won't cut it for the pictures I want to takeCannonA1.jpgAnd looking around, the GoPro Hero3 looks like the perfect option.

Hi guys,The settings I have been playing around with that give me the best results are what I stated above. 48fps at 1080. As we are using this to record our sailing we often hit speeds in excess of 20knots with the gps clocking 27knots the other day. On a 18ft catamaran you can beef it pretty quickly at these speeds hence the required frame rate and picture quality. I would rather be running 60fps but it does chew the juice quicker.Slowing the frame rate or the picture quality would mean a poor quality finish.I have played with the Protune on and off and there is a slight change in battery use.. My issue was the camera was mounted to a fixed point ahead of the cat so I couldn't put another battery in midway through the race otherwise I would have been fine.TT, not sure what you mean mate, there is no other camera apart from a Contour, GoPro or similar that you can take underwater, mount to your boat or strap to your head. You can get an LCD screen for them as well, I find I can use the iPhone instead.

TT' date=' not sure what you mean mate, there is no other camera apart from a Contour, GoPro or similar that you can take underwater, mount to your boat or strap to your head. You can get an LCD screen for them as well, I find I can use the iPhone instead.[/quote']Hey mate as I stated before:
I understand no other camera types on the market offer the toughness and mountability of the Go Pros but I think I will trade that off for a quality LCD Screen or even Electronic Viewfinder.
I believe its great that these sorts of cams have the mounts and toughness avaliable for them. That is excellent. I am just someone that likes real time playback.I do get that the mounting on Kayaks, or strapping to the head is excellent and produces some great shots. I don't know I am just a bit funny about it, I would much rather use my DSLR and video for someone else or if really need be for toughness and underwater capabilites use a housing for my Digital Cameras.Hope this makes more sense. Still if someone offered a Go Pro I wouldn't turn it up! Just not my first option. EDIT: Have just found this. http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/lcd-bacpac And I stand corrected. Seems a great innovation for the GO Pros and a BIG Step forward.Hope to see it built into hardware next edition not a priced add on.

Thanks to all who have commented on this' date=' I asked this because I have found out what my 50th B'day pressie is ..........1. Diving with Great Whites,2. Swiming with the Tuna'sI have an old school Cannon A1 from the 90's 35mm, and thingking this just won't cut it for the pictures I want to take[attachment=13852']CannonA1.jpg[/attachment]And looking around, the GoPro Hero3 looks like the perfect option.

not a bad pressey! the crew at Calypso will look after you. Andrew/simon on the shark boat with probably Brooke, they have water proof cameras available on the day. and take all the footage from multiple cameras used and place it on a dvd with videos etc. unsure of the cost for regular patrons.. but through our touring company its a freebie at the end of the trip. Swimming with the tuna is also great fun.. make sure you check out the inside netting.. with all the other fish.. not just the outter netting with the tuna! PS even if you dont ever get seasick... its worth taking a pill.. ive seen quite a few people who " never get sea sick" end up seasick while out on the shark boat.. its a bid day.. in often BIG swell! Im also interested in a new camera after my Olympus utough 8010 died recently.. i have 7 spare batteries for this camera so am looking into a similer camera again. but the Go Pros do come with a good reputation.

Just out of interest Del how much battery life do you get ouf your olympus underwater? I only get a few hours if I am lucky (using flash for my strobe) taking photos underwater with my utough? Have ordered a replacement battery. My wifes panasonic lumix tough thing lasts for days on a single charge....makes me a little pissed lol

with 7 spare batteries.... dismal ;) takes decent hi def video and footage but chewed the batteries fast. mine was pretty well hammered when it finally died... ran over by a tour bus.. chewed on by sea lions smashed int surf boards. smashed in to shark cages.. droped and kicked by back packers constantly. think one of my crew failed to double lock it after changing the batteries.. hence it zapped itself with water..

Twitch wrote "I don't know I am just a bit funny about it, I would much rather use my DSLR and video for someone else or if really need be for toughness and underwater capabilites use a housing for my Digital Cameras.Hope this makes more sense. Still if someone offered a Go Pro I wouldn't turn it up! Just not my first option" I am of the same opinion Twitch, but the problem comes when you find yourself out on a boat doing all the filming of other peoples fish on handycam or DSLR and you cant pick up a rod yourself. Sure everything will be perfectly be in frame etc, but you soon realise its hard to fish and film at the same time, thats where these camera's have got things covered.You almost need a dedicated cameraman/photographer on any boat trip you go on so you can get A1 footage of you and your mates fishing.

Twitch wrote "I don't know I am just a bit funny about it' date=' I would much rather use my DSLR and video for someone else or if really need be for toughness and underwater capabilites use a housing for my Digital Cameras.Hope this makes more sense. Still if someone offered a Go Pro I wouldn't turn it up! Just not my first option" I am of the same opinion Twitch, but the problem comes when you find yourself out on a boat doing all the filming of other peoples fish on handycam or DSLR and you cant pick up a rod yourself. Sure everything will be perfectly be in frame etc, but you soon realise its hard to fish and film at the same time, thats where these camera's have got things covered.You almost need a dedicated cameraman/photographer on any boat trip you go on so you can get A1 footage of you and your mates fishing.[/quote']Doesn't matter mate. I don't catch fish anyways so I am the camera man all the time anyways.. Haha :laugh: But in all seriousness definitely know what you mean. I can't really offer a solution except what I do is save up as much as you can like I do and buy the best digital cam you can afford to get a good quality quick sensor to produce DSLR quality mages on a smaller package.You are right though gets hard mate. And that's where in my opinion these Go Pros come into there own. In my opinion no other camera on the market has the same not video quality but ease of use to video quality ratio. Meaning that the difficulty of filming is really outweighed by the video produced.Not meaning any offence but with the mounts, underwater possibilities etc it really does make Camera novices make better video than they should and Hey that's a good thing for everyone!Not detracting from people like Jimbo James because I have seen he only uses Go Pros and the mounts and creativity of frames etc. is unrivalled by really any Camera work.Cheers mate, and keep filming TT

The LCD screen on the go pro 2 was quite helpful in some situations but in others highly in practical. for things like underwater filming, for instance filming sharks, tuna, etc. i would highly recommend using one but after that theres no need due to the point in a gopro is to mount it too something so it can see exactly what you are doing. for instance whilst ur fishing you dont want to have to worry about where you are pointing the camera (therefore looking at the lcd screen) aswell as winding in the fish, same with spearfishing, bike riding and whatever,this is what the gopro is built for so it can be mounted somewhere to catch exactly what youre doing. if the main reason you are buying a gopro is for the use of taking 'pretty pictures' and capturing the perfect film then the gopro isnt worth your time.worded badly but my point is if you have enough time to look at an LCD screen you mine as well just have a camera.

And that's where in my opinion these Go Pros come into there own. In my opinion no other camera on the market has the same not video quality but ease of use to video quality ratio. Meaning that the difficulty of filming is really outweighed by the video produced.

The Liquid Image Ego is almost spec for spec with the GoPro H3 Silver Edition yet retails at $199. I have used them since they arrived in the country last year and to be honest, compared to GoPro Hero 2's they are better quality video, and way outshine them underwater. I am yet to do a Hero 3 Silver Edition comparo yet, but I am very sure they'll hold their own.They must be pretty good competition for GoPro to bring out a 'de-specced' White Edition to try and price point match them, although at RRP of $269 the GoPro White has only a 5MP CCD, compared to 12MP of the Silver and the Ego.Purely my opinion :)
And that's where in my opinion these Go Pros come into there own. In my opinion no other camera on the market has the same not video quality but ease of use to video quality ratio. Meaning that the difficulty of filming is really outweighed by the video produced.
The Liquid Image Ego is almost spec for spec with the GoPro H3 Silver Edition yet retails at $199. I have used them since they arrived in the country last year and to be honest' date=' compared to GoPro Hero 2's they are better quality video' date=' and way outshine them underwater. I am yet to do a Hero 3 Silver Edition comparo yet, but I am very sure they'll hold their own.They must be pretty good competition for GoPro to bring out a 'de-specced' White Edition to try and price point match them, although at RRP of $269 the GoPro White has only a 5MP CCD, compared to 12MP of the Silver and the Ego.Purely my opinion :)[/quote'']Yep all good woody.Now that you mention it I remember you speaking about them. Certainly don't rule them out.But can't pass judgement as I haven't seen one in action but sounds the goods looking at the specs.Cheers for the heads up. TT
  • 2 months later...
Thanks to all who have commented on this' date=' I asked this because I have found out what my 50th B'day pressie is ..........1. Diving with Great Whites' date='2. Swiming with the Tuna'snot a bad pressey! the crew at Calypso will look after you. Andrew/simon on the shark boat with probably Brooke, they have water proof cameras available on the day. and take all the footage from multiple cameras used and place it on a dvd with videos etc. unsure of the cost for regular patrons.. but through our touring company its a freebie at the end of the trip. Swimming with the tuna is also great fun.. make sure you check out the inside netting.. with all the other fish.. not just the outter netting with the tuna! [/quote'']Del, had a cracker time, yes Calypso Crew OUTSTANDING !!!! Both Shark Cage Diving and Swim with the Tuna !!!!Swam in the smaller enclosed section with my daughter, and also in the Tuna Pen area as wellThe GoPro took some AMAZING Footage from both trips !!!!!!!!Anyone else thinking of doing this, I RECOMMEND ***** Rating!!! 11/10
  • 1 year later...

To me the go pro looks too big and bulky for capturing fishing footage. I stumbled onto www.velocityclip.com and bought the velocity clip and chest mount for $60 inc postage to clip my galaxy S4 into it. I can record at 1080p for aslong as I want and can move it at any angle at chest height. Still waiting for delivery though.

my first  go pro was a hero 3+ silver.  its first proper usage it destroyed 2 brand new memory cards and lost all footage.

sent the camera back.

lost all holiday memorys

no refunds.. i even had ot pay postage to return it.

go pro #2 arrived... it fried a memory card  in its first  usage..

now they want me to pay yet again to send another back?  only to be sent a third? possible faulty go pro?

i wish i had stuck to Olympus or other brands.

is it footage taken from the go-pro? or was it on there previous to installing the card in the camera... because if the go-pro has formatted the card that may be why you lost it.. when i was getting into photography I had a stack of racing photos to send to street machine and the camera had decided to format itself and i lost all the photos i kinda gave up after that haha :P

I had a HD2 that used to record about 2 minutes then freeze. I tried what I thought was a good memory card, fast enough to record all the bells n whistles. It eventually killed the memory card. Got a new card and it kept having issues. I never went any further with it as I thought I bought a dodgy one which I purchased on ebay from a nobody, I probably just got ripped off.

When the HD3+ Black came out I grabbed one from a physical store in town. Perfect! Not an issue ever, very happy.

Perhaps there were a bunch of the HD2's and other's that were dodgy?

I do have to say that if you don't have a decent memory card the data can be corrupted easyily and often and basically makes the GoPro useless.