red fish in west lakes??

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haha, some amusing dribble! Makes me laugh how some of the quality posts/reports and pictures on here get a couple of "Well done mate" replies and then you get a post like this one when the said fish

Locked.

Not the best pic I'm sure u can,zoom in though here's ur skate in the lake.if I was lieing I'd say it was me that caught it and not my brother lol

Posted Images

It was caught a different time in the afternoon we didnt have a net to bring it in so it got off when trying to get it out the water right in front of us had it right up on the surface of the water i couldnt believe my eyes it was seriously huge

And u forgot how to land fish...

Just to add my 2 cents worth, Pauly is a great fisherman judging by the reports he has posted. YF bream are almost impossible to catch in SA metro waters, but not completely impossible just like there is still a minimal chance of catching a coral trout from the Largs Bay jetty. Nothing is impossible but extremely unlikely. Also black bream have been known to have clearish-yellowish fins so that might be an issue. and 60cm really? Photos please?

It was caught a different time in the afternoon we didnt have a net to bring it in so it got off when trying to get it out the water right in front of us had it right up on the surface of the water i couldnt believe my eyes it was seriously huge

LOL So the fish in question didnt get caught it was only hooked? Oh well fisherman will be fisherman.
Are you sure your not confusing the fish for a school mulloway?? 60cm is very possible and they have a yellowish colour on there fins. look completely different' date=' however they are found throughout the lake, much more so than a 60cm bream.Just my 2c anyways.[/quote']Finally some words of wisdom instead of the sarcastic drivel and the to and fro banter. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Nobody caught a yellowfin Bream in Westlakes... Although a 60cm schoolie you didn't quite land could fool you for a Bream.Also, if you're catching a lot of standard 20cm westlakes bream, and you hook a 40cm beast, you could be forgiven for getting excited and calling it a 60cm monster, they sure do look impressive @ 40-50cm... A calm head and a straight tape measure would have brought you down to earth.... Although, a big +40cm bream is still quite a fish.Also, Black bream can be all sorts of colours from sand loving bright silver flanks and yellow fins, to a filthy bronze.Apart from the.fishes profile, and the distribution of the two species, an easy way to tell a Black from a yellowfin for the uninitiated, is to inspect the size of the anal spine. The yellowfin has a long anal spike/spine, that sticks out beyond the fin.The black bream has a shorter anal spine that does not protrude past the anal fin.End of the day, we are all keen on a fish, every fisho is a liar at worst, and an exaggerater at best....... And we all have lovely kind hearted mothers ;)

The references I ound for it show that it does occur in our watershttp://australianmuseum.net.au/Yellowfin-Bream-Acanthopagrus-australis-Owen-1853and map

With respect, this capture di'd not happen... Ie a 60cm yellowfin bream.It's clear to me that the poster was mistaken in his identification of the species... The claim that there are loads of undersized yellowfin judging by their yellow coloured fins.I think the Glenelg river is a good study of the potential for yellowfin bream to be captured a long way south, with both black and yellowfin bream captures reported.

Just found the picture of a juvenile mully. Bright silver and yellow fin definitely fits the description.http://www.hooklinesinker.tv/classiccatch/juvenile-school-mulloway-ardrossan-sa/I'm more inclined to believe that it's a mully because personally, I'd confuse mullies and breams (the smaller ones that is). They do look quite similar. There have been reports of decent numbers of schoolies at West Lakes as well.

Fair enough. Well, here's to hoping you catch a yellowfin bream in West Lakes (it doesn't have to be a 60cm one), post its picture here and prove the doubters wrong. I can't say for sure that you've caught one or you haven't. Neither can anyone else without seeing the fish to assist you with the fish identification. Either way, you caught a decent sized fish and lost it just as you were about to land it which is unfortunate. :)

The references I ound for it show that it does occur in our watershttp://australianmuseum.net.au/Yellowfin-Bream-Acanthopagrus-australis-Owen-1853and map
With respect' date=' this capture di'd not happen... Ie a 60cm yellowfin bream.It's clear to me that the poster was mistaken in his identification of the species... The claim that there are loads of undersized yellowfin judging by their yellow coloured fins.I think the Glenelg river is a good study of the potential for yellowfin bream to be captured a long way south' date=' with both black and yellowfin bream captures reported.[/quote'']No problems, I have not a clue about the capture. Just commenting on their (potential) distribution :whistle:

You guys really have no idea do you? Freak fish are a common occurrence. A black bream of 60cm is feasible. There have been quite a few 58-59 caught in the port in the past, so why could one have not made its way into westlakes?Another: in adelaide you hear "salmon don't grow over 12lb. That's a once in a lifetime fish. Yadda yadda". Fact is, 15-18lb and even the occasional 20lber are reasonably common at the right times in the right places.Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it's not real or didn't happen. Remember the mahi mahi at port augusta? By your logic it's not possible! But, as we all know, it happens. I'm so sick of all the nay sayers and general BULLIES on this page that myself and a few others rarely even post anymore due to the dimwits! Which is a shame as this used to be a breeding ground if information.There's my two cents, Cheers, Ben

Wish I never posted anything on here at all.too much of saying its impossible and I don't think so.but I'm guessing u believed in Santa as a kid lol.ohwell believe it or not isaw it and yes it would have been over 60cm easy.and yes it looked like a bream too me.im done with this post and probably this website after all the negativity.just a bunch of fisherman trying to out do each other by not going out and catching fish but arguing that it cant be done.just go out for yourselfslol ever seen an alien?no.do they exist? Most probably. And that is all.end topic.

You guys really have no idea do you? Freak fish are a common occurrence. A black bream of 60cm is feasible. There have been quite a few 58-59 caught in the port in the past' date=' so why could one have not made its way into westlakes?Another: in adelaide you hear "salmon don't grow over 12lb. That's a once in a lifetime fish. Yadda yadda". Fact is, 15-18lb and even the occasional 20lber are reasonably common at the right times in the right places.Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it's not real or didn't happen. Remember the mahi mahi at port augusta? By your logic it's not possible! But, as we all know, it happens. I'm so sick of all the nay sayers and general BULLIES on this page that myself and a few others rarely even post anymore due to the dimwits! Which is a shame as this used to be a breeding ground if information.There's my two cents, Cheers, Ben[/quote']Ben, your photo is likely a black bream from the difficult angle shown.To be sure, I would have to see the anal spike. The location may be a clue to its most likely identity too.To bullying and nay sayers, do you suggest the better alternative is to not rationally offer an alternative to the reported capture of a 60cm Yellowfin Bream? And not one, but that Westlakes is full of them.(smaller yf bream that is)?It is impossible to disprove without doubt, a claim of any capture, but taken in context with the rest of the.story, and experience in the system (as I suggest you also have), then without any actual PROOF, I dismiss the claim, as mistaken identity.Who knows, best case it was a very large Black Bream... But since the poster is innocently mistaken re identifying YF Bream, then it isn't in anyway disrespectful or heavy handed to conclude that it wasn't a 60cm YF Bream... Indeed the fish was not even measured.To be even fairer, I hooked and lost a huge mulloway last year. I got her boatside, and clearly saw the size.... Trouble is that since that day, the fish has gone from 40lb to 60 odd lb in my head lol... Im certain it was the one caught the next day by someone else!!!!But hey, im big enough to admit that it could have easily been a 30lb fish with a lot of fight.... trouble is, I never measured it or weighed it... Even now im saying to myself "nah, that fish was easy.50lb"My hope was.to bring some rational debate.to what was fast becoming a pretty messy thread. Cheers

Lol u da man jack yea it's a messy post alright I was just letting ppl know what I've seen caught down there I didn't even catch it myself it was someone else so I wasn't after bragging rights or anything just letting people know then I was flooded with hate lol thanks buddy.end post topic lol

Well said JackI do not normally post on threads like this due to the dribble butFrom reading through this, the one observation is I would say mully due to the comments from the person who hooked itHe has stated it had yellow fins and was very silver, in my experience of fishing the lake both landbased and from a yak for many years the big bream in the lake are very dark bronze in colour due to being in there so long, my guess if it was a black or YF bream of 60cm it would be extremely dark in colour.I'm not saying it wasn't a bream but its sounds very much like a mully to me

Anyone hear about the Mako and Tuna at osullies in late December?

LOL oh come on Ben, I would have to have witnessed that with my own eyes for that to have happened! Oh shit thats right I did :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: That metro Mako capture is still blowing my mind right now. Imagine the guy that caught and released it, no-one would be believing him to this day. And yes I know I spoilt it. everyone was meant to go "oh as if!!"And you are so right, the more you fish, the more weird and unusual and also trophy size fish you come across. Like a 60-65lb mully on a snapper drop, snapper in West Lakes, Kingfish off of Marino are just some of the weird stuff Ive seenI do however think the fact that it had yellow fins is pretty odd. As others have said for it to be a yellowfin bream would be a strange capture for sure. But with whats in WLakes, who really knows. Im just saying whos to say that someone from interstate didnt bring some live bream with them. would be tough keeping them alive but might be possible. then release them into the lake??Love this post