Hi guysI am looking at buying a rod and reel for estury fishing. For bream on lures and soft plastics, and also the odd whiting on poppers. What should i look for in a rod and reel?And are there anything i should go for/ watch out for?Also im not too bothered about price, especially for the reel, but obviously id rather have some money to spare.Cheers

For bream on lures/plastic you want a graphite rod, bout 6'8"-7'2", about a 1500-2000 size reel and 6lb braided line....this outfit would also suit whiting on poppers, although possibly something slightly longer (7'-7'6") would benefit for long casts on the flats for whiting.First thing you have to keep in mind is that ALL these light graphite outfits are fragile, so treat them ALL with care!Just so happens that I've currently got two bream outfits advertised for sale here on the forums, both of which would perfectly fit that bill.

1) Smiths Bayliner Metal AF BLM-68UML/RF arguably the finest bream rod ever made. $250 firmI also have a boxed Daiwa Gekkabijn to match this rod. Also $250 Firm although I will do a deal for anyone wanting both.3) Okuma OutfitRod: Okuma Epix Plus 2 Piece Graphite Rod. EP-702SPXL 7' 100% GraphiteReel: Okuma Zeon ZN15 (bout a 1500 size)Line: 4lb Braid (don't recall brand)This would be a good little outfit for anyone starting out with lures or plastics, alternatively a little travel outfit. $65

The first is a top end outfit and no doubt out of your league if you're just starting out, but the little Okuma outfit would be a perfect starting point, it's a good little light outfit, already spooled with braid, and at the price I've listed it you certainly wont find even an unspooled entry level outfit for that price.If you want something new, an entry level combo will set you back about $150, plus about $30 extra for a spool of braid. Have a chat at your local tacklestore, and they will show you a suitable range to choose from.....have a look at the Shimano Catana/Sienna combo as a starting point.
...the little Okuma outfit would be a perfect starting point' date=' it's a good little light outfit, already spooled with braid, and at the price I've listed it you certainly wont find even an unspooled entry level outfit for that price.[/quote']Sorry, but ya gotta be quick around here, it's already sold.