Fishing Magazines

Are overall sales down or the publishers just trying to raise the circulation numbers to increase advertising revenue?Just about every mag i saw at the newsagent had a free lure of some sort. I hardly buy 'em myself any more. Last one i bought was for Jacks article and already read about his exploits on here :) Same crap all the time and now no issue is complete without the obligatory squidding article.Has this "new" internet fad affected readership? It's more up to date on what's happening out there.

i normally buy SA Angler, Wildcoast and Modern Fishing plus a few others if they catch my eye. even though i dont normally do the type of fishing they generally write about (light line, lures, gamefishing, freshwater and tropical) i still like to read about it. i caught a squid on a vibe i got free with an issue of Modern Fishing so i was pretty happy with that. but to answer ur question, im not sure of the readership statistics lol :cheer:

I buy the two local mags plus Fish Life (sucked in by the glossy pics :) ). I read them at work, helps me ignore the whinging at smoko.I also buy 4wd Action, for the DVD, and actually prefer the Action and Adventure magazine that comes with it as it combines a few of my interests in the one mag.If I didn't read them at work I wouldn't buy any of them.

I have a huge stack of old mags just in boxes. I'll keep 'em for sentimental crap and a bit of old info. Every now and then i'll have a look through them cause i remember there's a story in an old issue that i have that i wanna suss out but apart from new adverts, and some minor new techniques they're all the same.For the next generation. it's all new to them and they'll be saying the same thing in 10-15 years unless there's a paradigm shift in fishing.

Having only lived here for four years, I have bought SA Angler and now Wildcoast regularly. I even had my mother-in-law sending me copies of SA Angler in the states once we had decided to move here. Being new to the scene there was heaps of information and it really helped me get started fishing in SAThese days I would say I get most of my quality information from sites like this and firsthand from fellow fishos. I still buy the two local mags and will most likely continue to do so just because I like having fishing mags around to read now and again, that and they keep promising me the vital information I need to catch a massive mully! :laugh:

Short answer is yes, generally printed media products are not fairing so well.I buy the two locals, and also fly life magazine. I mainly buy the mags because I like to sit down and read a true paper magazine, if you work in an office check out people's home screens next time you walk the hall, most people are upto the minute with news feeds on their home screens.

Agreed. It's been a long time since i bought a news paper. No doubt there will always be a place for magazines, i would choose a certain GP over another if there was a better selection of magazines in the waiting room.I'll probably pick up the new issue of one of the two locals tomorrow.

I have been buying SA angler since I first found it in 2005 and Wildcoast from when it started (cant remember how long now). I am a big fan of fishlife since its first issue and Sport Fishing Australia has maintained my interest.I've religiously bought modern fishing for a few years but ever since lewers, starlo, amon and a few others left the quality of the mag has dropped MASSIVELY; conveniently at the same time they started adding 'action adventure' which i don't mind reading but even the quaity of that has declined over the last 2 or 3 issues. I'll give it one more month and then i'm done, too many ads and poor articles. I've been hoping it will pick back up but it now has the feel of action adventure, TONNES of ads and minimal articles. Comparing the modern fishing magazines before and after shows a huge difference if you've still got some lying around. Just have a look at how many pages they spread an article over... quite a few pages with one paragraph on it making a short article 6 pages :/Looks like i'll reduce to SA Angler, Wildcoast, Sport Fishing Australia, Fishlife and Tournament Angler Guides :) Great reads all round and always something new to learn!I suppose the internet has taken a lot away from needing to purchase a mag. For example this forum has all the answers on it with members that take the time to help out others and combined with trip reports it isn't hard to stay in the loop as to what is happening around SA.I personally enjoy reading and read quite a lot so for me reading magazines is quite relaxing and to be perfectly honest nice to not look at a bloody computer screen :) I get tired of scouring forums for info.Magazines will always have their fans and for those new to the sport are a fantastic medium to learn the ropes. I cant see how they will perform as digital mags but I look at a computer enough so it is nice to actually hold it and pick the pages so i'll never buy one.I'll keep reading and keep learning and when i'm tired of magazines I always have my fishing books to read :) (last count was around the 70 mark)

• 2 weeks later...

I still buy or borrow the 2 SA mags provided there are a couple of articles that catch my interest. There is a Wildcoast digital edition now and I will check it out but it will take a while for me to move to the digital editions.What would would be good is an annual CD with the various articles on it as this would be a better, more convenient way to retain, search articles.

I still buy or borrow the 2 SA mags provided there are a couple of articles that catch my interest. There is a Wildcoast digital edition now and I will check it out but it will take a while for me to move to the digital editions.What would would be good is an annual CD with the various articles on it as this would be a better' date=' more convenient way to retain, search articles.[/quote']Good idea critta. id be up for that.